Michael Shields granted pardon - IMPORTANT - please read

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:56 pm

This is a cynical political act to prove this Government has some Authority nothing more they are completely Shameless. The barbaric Murderers of James Bulger are free with new identities whilst and 80 year old disabled man and an innocent 22 year old are kept behind bars how dare we say we are a free country. This is another example of Authoritarian Government keeping the little man in his place.  :no
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC4allseasons » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:39 pm

stmichael wrote:This is a cynical political act to prove this Government has some Authority nothing more they are completely Shameless. The barbaric Murderers of James Bulger are free with new identities whilst and 80 year old disabled man and an innocent 22 year old are kept behind bars how dare we say we are a free country. This is another example of Authoritarian Government keeping the little man in his place.  :no

[quote author=johnstop link=topic=19545.msg374204#msg374204 date=1246617316]
This is a cynical political act to prove this Government has some Authority nothing more they are completely Shameless. The barbaric Murderers of James Bulger are free with new identities whilst and 80 year old disabled man and an innocent 22 year old are kept behind bars how dare we say we are a free country.This is another example of Authoritarian Government keeping the little man in his place.
[/quote]

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=19545.60#quickreply

Do you just nick what other people say and try and pass it off as your own lad? Seriously, if you're gonna do that at least give credit to the original poster.
LFC4allseasons

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 pm

A confidential police report suggests jailed Liverpool fan Michael Shields may be innocent, the BBC has learned.

The Merseyside Police report, compiled for Justice Secretary Jack Straw, says if the case had happened in the UK, Shields may have been given an appeal.

He is serving a 10-year sentence for the attempted murder of a Bulgarian barman in 2005.

A new witness claims the attacker was not Shields, the report says. Mr Straw has denied Shields a pardon.

Louise Ellman, Labour MP for Liverpool Riverside, said the police report confirmed her view that there had been a miscarriage of justice.

She said: "The report states very clearly that they [Merseyside Police] think this is an unsafe conviction, had the case been held in this country it should go to a court of appeal and that consideration should be given to paroling Michael during his appeal."

Louise Ellman, Labour MP, says Michael Shields' conviction was unsafe
She added that she would be working closely with the Shields family's legal team as "a young man's future lies in the balance".

Michael Shields' parents told BBC reporter Liam O'Donoghue they were now even angrier at Mr Straw, following his earlier announcement that he had provisionally decided against a pardon for their son.

Mr Straw gave the family's legal team four weeks to come up with new evidence to convince him Shields was "morally and technically" innocent.

'New witness' evidence'

A statement from the Ministry of Justice said the Justice Secretary recognised that many would be disappointed by his decision but he "adopted the approach that the Court expected him to adopt".

"Mr Shields can now submit any further representations he may want to make, after which the Justice Secretary will make a final decision on the evidence before him.

"The Justice Secretary has to weigh up new witness' evidence alongside all the other evidence including witness evidence from Bulgaria and the decisions of the Bulgarian Courts. That is what the High Court indicated he should do."

High Court judges ruled in December that Mr Straw had the power to grant Shields a pardon.

Shields, 22, from Edge Hill, Liverpool, has always maintained his innocence.

He is serving his sentence at Thorn Cross Young Offenders Institute, in Appleton Thorn, Warrington, and is due to be released in May 2010.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:13 pm

I don't understand I thought that Sankey guy fessed up to the deed?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:15 pm

he retracted his statement
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 am

Really? What a :censored:.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby iheartliverpool » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm

oh jeez! it's already closed. :(
iheartliverpool

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am

Just been annouced on BBC News that Michael is being freed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:11 am

About :censored: time,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 am

Great news! Lets hope the lad gets a serious compo payout and the tw@ts responsible for this grave injustice are brought to book (fat chance for the latter I know!).

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 am

FANTASTIC NEWS!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:17 am

NANNY RED wrote:About :censored: time,

:D  Same words just came out me mouth.

Great news for the lad and his Family!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:28 am

Get him on the pitch on Satdee so he can get the welcome home he deserves.

aN Straw your still a bas.tard
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:30 am

fantastic news, and about bloody time as well
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion