Match ratings for newcastle - aka the Dirk Kuyt pop thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Fo Dne wrote:I too do worry about Rafa's thinking when things like this happen. I sometimes wonder is it better to lose games like this to teach "the boss" a lesson (not that he's ever learnt in the past anyway) but I just worry that next time he chooses this gamble it won't pay off.

Totally agree with that. Winning comfortably with an over-styled team just encourages silliness in the future. We are top of the league and just showing signs of clicking into form, it would be absolutely criminal to now throw it away with over-exuberant rotation.

God loves us because we've tried it so many times, it doesn't and won't work. I fear the worst on the back of this result and this team selection to be honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm

bigmick wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:I too do worry about Rafa's thinking when things like this happen. I sometimes wonder is it better to lose games like this to teach "the boss" a lesson (not that he's ever learnt in the past anyway) but I just worry that next time he chooses this gamble it won't pay off.

Totally agree with that. Winning comfortably with an over-styled team just encourages silliness in the future. We are top of the league and just showing signs of clicking into form, it would be absolutely criminal to now throw it away with over-exuberant rotation.

God loves us because we've tried it so many times, it doesn't and won't work. I fear the worst on the back of this result and this team selection to be honest.

Wow! Talk about half empty  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Lucas is aswell, but today had a good game, which has never before happened in a red shirt.

Disagree Stu, that's 3 good performances from Lucas in his last 3 starts - PSV, Arsenal and Newcastle.  As much as I'd written this lad off (and he still has a hell of a lot still to do to convince me), he is improving and deserves some credit.  His all round game today was very good - passing, harrying, tackling, and the through ball for Gerrard was the first glimpse really I've seen that this lad might have something to offer.

Agree on Babel though.  He is a waster.  Doesn't look interested to me, has very little ability with the ball at his feet, poor decision maker and has no idea how to utilise his pace properly.  We should move him on.  If we could get anywhere near the 10 million or so we paid for him we'd be doing well.

Gerrard - what can you say?  Absolute world class.

Newcastle were bad but partly because we made them look bad.  Apart from PSV they are the worst team we have played this season.  How demoralising it must be for the likes of Given and Owen.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:23 pm

kazza wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Anyway Kazz, I've got to go into work now to hopefully sell some dildo's. The drive into the city takes approximately 25 minutes, and by the time I've parked up, got meself a coffeee and all that I'll be back on in about 40 minutes. Just so's you know and don't get worried that I'm not around.

BTW I agreed with a post of yours the other day. Can't remember what it was about, but I do remember the subject of football was mentioned within it. I'm not really sure whether I should find it worrying or heartening, but there it is anyway.

I do hope the festivities are treating you well, and I've done about four posts this morning so there's plenty there for you to get your teeth into while your waiting for me to get back. Like I say, I'll see you (figuratively) in about 40 minutes  :)
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:34 pm

bigmick wrote:
kazza wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Anyway Kazz, I've got to go into work now to hopefully sell some dildo's. The drive into the city takes approximately 25 minutes, and by the time I've parked up, got meself a coffeee and all that I'll be back on in about 40 minutes. Just so's you know and don't get worried that I'm not around.

BTW I agreed with a post of yours the other day. Can't remember what it was about, but I do remember the subject of football was mentioned within it. I'm not really sure whether I should find it worrying or heartening, but there it is anyway.

I do hope the festivities are treating you well, and I've done about four posts this morning so there's plenty there for you to get your teeth into while your waiting for me to get back. Like I say, I'll see you (figuratively) in about 40 minutes  :)

Well thanks for that Mick (on the festivities thing),  I read those posts and it was all I could do to not respond for fear of being called a stalker  :laugh: as it is I am off to bed so I will have to catch you on the rebound

On the half empty thing it was more for Stu but you agreed with him (two birds with one stone and all that)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 pm

jesus - only on this forum can people think it was a bad thing that we won so well today and will end up being getting worse .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:43 pm

john craig wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:Lucas is aswell, but today had a good game, which has never before happened in a red shirt.

Disagree Stu, that's 3 good performances from Lucas in his last 3 starts - PSV, Arsenal and Newcastle.  As much as I'd written this lad off (and he still has a hell of a lot still to do to convince me), he is improving and deserves some credit.  His all round game today was very good - passing, harrying, tackling, and the through ball for Gerrard was the first glimpse really I've seen that this lad might have something to offer.

Agree on Babel though.  He is a waster.  Doesn't look interested to me, has very little ability with the ball at his feet, poor decision maker and has no idea how to utilise his pace properly.  We should move him on.  If we could get anywhere near the 10 million or so we paid for him we'd be doing well.

Gerrard - what can you say?  Absolute world class.

Newcastle were bad but partly because we made them look bad.  Apart from PSV they are the worst team we have played this season.  How demoralising it must be for the likes of Given and Owen.

Lucas was ok against PSV, nothing more, against Arsenal he was rubbish but got praise due to people feeling sorry for him and he completed a couple of passes. Today was the first time in a red shirt he's looked anything a good player. Hopefully it will continue but I won't be holding my breath!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:01 pm

fair analysis
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:53 am

Good to see a few of the lads who have received criticism play well today. Lucas was excellent today, my MOTM after the SIMPLY FU....C......KIN BRILLIANT Steven Gerrard. What a performance from the Captain today, Given was only other player on the park who got anywhere near that display. Perfect 10 for me, absolutely  awesome. Why Kinnear didn't stick a shadow on him for the 2nd half is beyond me. Bennayoun was impressive again today, given a run of games (which he's now getting) he's getting involved, making a few things happen and finding some consistency. Another who hasn't reached last season's form is Mascherano and I thought he played well, mixing his usual industry with some good passing and a nice pass to set up the all-important 1st goal today. Was good to see Insua get another start and with the exception of getting skinned by Duff on one occasion (he's not the first) he was solid again today. He definately gives us a bit of vibrance down that left hand-side with his eagerness to get forward and the fact he is ALWAYS looking to play the ball forwards (not something our Fbs do that often) when he is on the ball. Even Kuyt did fine for me (5 is harsh Stu lad). The only player who looked a little off his game today was Reina but hey, he must be the one player in the team who deserved one.

As for the starting line-up, it had me scratching my head at kick-off but I always find it hard to point fingers after results like this. I'm not going to make excuses for why we won the game. You can call it a gamble and that Rafa got away with it BUT it rings a little hollow when you consider that was the most goals we've scored and (surely? Owz?) the most goal-scoring (decent ones) opportunities that we have created all season. Of course if we had lost the game then i guess it's fair game...
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 am

good post scott and agree with it pretty much 100%
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:55 am

Must have been watching a different game.

For me, the movement and passing between Kuyt, Gerrard, Yossi, Lucas and Babel in the first half was awesome.

Gerrard did not do this on this own. On a number of ocassions, Kuyt released both Babel and Gerrard into forward runs with great passes.

Stevie did score the goals, but sometimes I do find it funny that people are so keen to overlook the fact that our attacking players all played very well in the first half, hence the beautiful football.

I won't disagree that it was against a poor side, missing key defenders. But both Babel and Kuyt deserve a 6 alteast.

And Babel scored a goal at a very important junction in the game. He was in the right place and did what was needed, regardless of how poor the 5 stationary defenders were. He was there to tap it in.

The problem with Babel is consistency and desire. The lad needs to move on for his sake and the club as he's just not being used enough (whatever the reasons) and would be happier elsewhere.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:58 am

Reina 7
Carra 7.5
Hyppia 8
Agger 7.5
Isua 8
Mascha 9
Benayoun 6.5
Lucas 8.5
Gerrard 9.5
Kuyt 6.5
Babel 7
Alonso 8
Ngog 7
Skrtel 7
LiverpoolMadman

Postby DanAn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:23 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Reina 7
Carra 7.5
Hyppia 8
Agger 7.5
Isua 8
Mascha 9
Benayoun 6.5
Lucas 8.5
Gerrard 9.5
Kuyt 6.5
Babel 7
Alonso 8
Ngog 7
Skrtel 7

How does Carra rate higher than Kuyt and in particular Benayoun? In fact how does he even escape criticism?

Can you name one single peice of play where he did anything going forward? I think if you rewatched the game you'd struggle to find one peice of positive football from him. He did ok on the defensive side but he did conceed a goal at a corner.

I think people on this board are playing favourites. There is no way in my mind it is even concievable that Carra played better than Benayoun. Carra was the worst player on the pitch for us IMO.
DanAn

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 am

Carragher was poor against newcastle , no excuses . Offered nothing going forward and defensively was getting caught out as well . Right back is not his natural position and we need another right back  in the papers its reported that we are in for glen johnsen who would be a step up i feel from arbeloa . Degen is too injury prone to be counted on ,  Babel played ok in the first half and apart from the goal did :censored: all in the 2nd , its getting harder to defend babel if he keeps putting in performances like this . As much as i like babel if we get a 15 million offer from madrid as reported , we should take it and get a replacement .
Last edited by Toffeehater on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Lucas was ok against PSV, nothing more

I rarely reply in this manner, but what absolute bo||ocks.

PSV were poor, but Lucas was outstanding against PSV. His passing was excellent, his movement likewise and he put in the work as well. His free-kick to set up Babel's equalising header came just when we needed it. His performance deserved a goal to cap it off, but he was my MOTM in that game. Controlled the midfield like Gerrard normally does
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion