MARTIN SKRTEL - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:44 pm

At long last.

Surely this puts to bed the notion that the Yanks have no faith in Rafa?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:48 pm

He certainly has the physical attributes to be a top player, he's a young Slovak who'll work really hard, I've absolutely no doubt about that -I've got a Slovakian mate believe it or not.

The pronunciation of his sir name might difficult for those without a slavonic tongue. We'll have to wait to see how he pronounces his name first, but I've been told it could be either - 'Skirtull', or 'Skrtel' with a severely trilled 'r'.
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:55 pm

SKRTEL: RAFA'S THE REASON I SIGNED
Jimmy Rice 11 January 2008

Martin Skrtel admits the impression left on him by Rafa Benitez was key to him spurning offers from other Premier League clubs.
The Slovak trained with his new teammates for the first time on Friday morning before Liverpoolfc.tv was granted the first interview.

Skrtel - who was reportedly a target for Everton, Spurs and Valencia - told us his new boss made quite an impression during negotiations between the Reds and former club Zenit St Petersburg.

"The manager wanted me to come here which was important for me," said the 23-year-old. "I found him to be a nice man and Rafa was a big influence on me coming to Liverpool.

"I am looking forward to my first game at Anfield and playing in front of the Liverpool supporters. I can't wait. I have been to Anfield and it is beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is full of fans."

The Russian Premier League is currently in the middle of a winter break, meaning Skrtel is not fit enough to play any part in this weekend's clash with Middlesbrough.

It may take the new boy 10 days to find match fitness, but with three established centre-backs already at the club, he knows he may have to be patient.

He said: "Obviously I was aware about the competition for places. Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger are players with immense quality.

"I will do my best to get into the team as soon as possible. For any team to have competition in all positions is good and I will work as hard as possible to challenge for a place. Rafa hasn't said too much to me about my place just yet."

Skrtel has already had a taste of playing with Premier League players having pitted his wits against Andy Johnson and Everton in the UEFA Cup earlier this season.

Never, though, has he played alongside players of the quality of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres – until this morning, that is.

He admits his first training session was a nerve-wracking experience.

"I had my first training session with the team today and the lads all welcomed me to the club. I was a bit nervous because they are huge stars but once training started I was okay."

As well as getting used to new surroundings here on Merseyside, Skrtel will embark on a crash course in English. Not that he'll need as many lessons as some who arrive at Melwood.

He explained: "The coach at Zenit, Dick Advocaat, spoke English to the players, so I already know many of the football phrases - that should help."

Skrtel admits he owes Advocaat a debt of gratitude, not only for the English lessons, but for allowing him to complete a dream move to the Premier League.

"The past few days have been full of anxiety and wait but I'm glad it's all sorted now and I am finally a Liverpool player," he said.

"I would like to say a big 'Thank you' to Zenit St Petersburg for allowing me to come to Liverpool. I was under contract at Zenit and they helped me with this move.

"When I played against Everton it showed me why I always wanted to play in the English league. I am very happy to be here."

The player also revealed the move to Liverpool means he will have to give up his other favourite pastime, hockey.

"As a child I played a lot of hockey. When I was at Zenit we had a winter break and the manager let me play hockey then. Now I'm here at Liverpool I won't be able to do that anymore more."
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Graeme Noble wrote:Good signing, we need cover because Sami is too old now.

he won't be just a substitute or a cover mate , its a record signing for a defender whom we signed last set by agger, i think rafa has in mind , that martin would replace carra whom to be honest as a few good years left , 30 already this year .. all the best martin
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:i just wonder how many games he will get though

how many other teams have 3 or 4 top centre backs in their squad?

Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, Belletti

thats 3 mate , ben haim and belleti are not great players and also players don't mind playing for chelsea [attractive wages]
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:At long last.

Surely this puts to bed the notion that the Yanks have no faith in Rafa?

Well it looks like sissoko is on his way to juve so does that mean we have to sell to buy, best not do
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm

He looks like the Kurgan from Highlander.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:i just wonder how many games he will get though

how many other teams have 3 or 4 top centre backs in their squad?

Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, Belletti

wouldnt say alex and ben-haim as quality

more like they know they are gonna be 2nd choice's

not sure if agger,sami, carragher and the new guy think they would be 2nd choices

but anyway with sami reaching pension age i think 3 quality centre backs is perfect
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 pm

It's important to remember that Agger was eased in very slowly when we first signed him (partly due to injuries).  I see Rafa doing the same thing with Skrtel--he'll get a sporadic match here and there over the next few months (unless we hit another CB injury crisis) with a long term view to getting more into the mix early next season, IMO.  Much will depend on whether Sami stays beyond the summer, as well.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:58 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Image

Rafa looking kinda gay

he looks like one of those skinhead with DM boots  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Bad Bob wrote:It's important to remember that Agger was eased in very slowly when we first signed him (partly due to injuries).  I see Rafa doing the same thing with Skrtel--he'll get a sporadic match here and there over the next few months (unless we hit another CB injury crisis) with a long term view to getting more into the mix early next season, IMO.  Much will depend on whether Sami stays beyond the summer, as well.

i would prefer it if sami stays on... it's always better to have experience defenders like sami and carra go learn from... agger and this guy will benefit alot...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Excuse me, how will the people possibly spell Skrtel? four consonants together is too alien for a Spaniard :D

I think he'll be just Tel for me.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:08 pm

I have heard a commentator pronounce it as Sker-tel recently.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 pm

maguskwt wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:It's important to remember that Agger was eased in very slowly when we first signed him (partly due to injuries).  I see Rafa doing the same thing with Skrtel--he'll get a sporadic match here and there over the next few months (unless we hit another CB injury crisis) with a long term view to getting more into the mix early next season, IMO.  Much will depend on whether Sami stays beyond the summer, as well.

i would prefer it if sami stays on... it's always better to have experience defenders like sami and carra go learn from... agger and this guy will benefit alot...

Agreed, mate, but Sami's earned the right to choose given his service to the club.  This summer he decided to stay and thank feck he did.  Next summer he might "pull a Didi" and decide that he doesn't want to see out the twilight of his career on the bench and fair play to him if he does. 

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.  This kid hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet so it's far too soon to be wondering/worrying how Sami will feel about being fourth choice! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:29 pm

MARTIN SCUTTLE maybe?
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion