Agger or skrtel? - Who would you prefer in the side?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Agger or skrtel? - Who would you prefer in the side?

Agger
61%
Skrtel
6%
Too close to call, but one or t'other
6%
Both
24%
Neither
3%

Total votes : 67

Postby oreilly » Sat May 02, 2009 11:34 am

I dont think there is much between them ...........Agger is a bit more classier ----poses a goal threat and has a sweet left foot...........

Skrtel has the potential to become a Carra so i feel he should BE the one to wait his turn ......
Agger is there to replace Hyypia

Also I think Agger is alot cooler which makes him more of a fans fav!!!!!
Last edited by oreilly on Sat May 02, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
oreilly

Postby heimdall » Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:What wouldn't we give to have a 20 year old Hyypia on the bench...

You'd have him on the bench, I'd have him playing.  :D

In seriousness I think Agger and Skyrtel will form a very good defensive partnership in years to come, they are both very good and will only get better.
heimdall

Postby oakton » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Agger for sure
His best is better than Skrtel's
oakton

Postby Bad Bob » Sat May 02, 2009 1:15 pm

I prefer Agger myself and I'm a little surprised that so many are prepared to see Carragher supplanted so soon.  I think we'll see next season that the rumours of Jamie's demise have been greatly exagerrated.  A fit and settled Agger alongside Carragher while definitely be our best defensive pairing, IMO.  Agger likes to get forward while Carra minds the shop and they both know their duties and dovetail well.  I think part of the reason Carra's seemed a little off-colour this season is because of his partnership with Skrtel.  Not that the Slovakian is a liability but because Carragher knows he's got to be extra aware sometimes, given Skrtel's penchant for ball watching.  Also, when Skrtel partners Carra, Carra gets shunted to the left of the central pair, which means he plays alongside whichever LB Rafa has opted for that match.  LB has been one of the few positions that Rafa has continued to style over the course of the season.  Even when it seemed evident that Dossena's not up to it and Aurelio is, Rafa still brought in Insua for a few matches/  All of this means that Carragher can't just focus on his own responsibilities but needs to have one eye to his right and one eye to his left--this may account for why he's looked slightly more human this season.  Stick Agger and Carra together as the first-choice CB pairing from the off next season, though, and I'm confident Carra's form will return to the standard we've come to take for granted from him.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedRoots » Sat May 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Great post bad bob,

I'd go with Agger myself, obviously he a very good defender who will definitely improve and as well as that we've got virtually no goal threat with Carra and Scary whereas the other teams in the top four have centre halves who are well capable of scoring. Agger's proven that he can score and sometimes goals from centre halves can be priceless, it's a thing we've missed badly since Sami lost his place.
RedRoots

Postby kalos » Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has agreed a four-year extension to his current contract, which will see him remain at Anfield until at least 2014. 
The 24-year old, who joined the Reds from Brondby in 2006, has played 76 times and scored 6 goals, including his recent spectacular long range effort against Blackburn Rovers.

Agger joins teammates Steven Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt who have recently committed their long term future to the club.

Manager Rafael Benitez said: "This is extremely good news for Liverpool moving forward and demonstrates our intention to build on the progress we have already made this season.

"Daniel is still young, but with great quality and will be a very important player for us in the years ahead.

"I'm sure there were many other clubs monitoring the situation closely, but throughout our discussions, Daniel made it clear that he wanted to stay at Liverpool and achieve success here.

"I'm delighted we've secured his future at Anfield."
kalos

Postby Toffeehater » Sun May 03, 2009 4:57 am

Finally agger signs , great news
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 pm

just read this on the offal, chuffed :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Zidane » Sun May 03, 2009 2:29 pm

I know Newcastle is playing like sht but today's game is a great example of why Agger>Skrtel.
Zidane

Postby Madmax » Mon May 04, 2009 3:07 am

hope rafa plays agger often next season..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am

Agger signing and Sami leaving will now give both Agger and Skrtel enough chances and playing time next season that both will be happy. Good news for us. :)
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Bretc » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 am

Both Agger and Skrtel are different typs of defenders but they are not the finished product yet. They have to improve on different aspects of their game. Agger's style is like Hansen, both are comfortable on the ball and we know what Agger can produce with long range shots. But he will never be anywhere near Hansen unless he can improve on his reading of the game. Hyypia is the best reader among our defenders and still is our BEST defender. Unfortunately, he's leaving us.

Skrtel has not impressed me yet. He needs to improve on his overall attributes, especially his positioning and reading.

Carra's form has been average this season. Not sure what's the cause of it but we need the old Carra back asap.

In summary, our central defense still needs to be sorted out, unless the current trio improve on their form.

Back to the question again - I would go for Agger.
Bretc

Postby Owzat » Wed May 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Both are 24, will be 25 by the end of the year. They need to show improvements in key areas, without improving quite a lot in some areas we will not have a finished article when Carra is getting to Sami's age (not that far off)

It's a shame the mancs got Vidic
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Agger any time, I don't rate skrtel that much.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Depends on the opposition really. I rate both (although both have been disrupted through injury).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion