Agger or skrtel? - Who would you prefer in the side?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Agger or skrtel? - Who would you prefer in the side?

Agger
61%
Skrtel
6%
Too close to call, but one or t'other
6%
Both
24%
Neither
3%

Total votes : 67

Postby Owzat » Fri May 01, 2009 2:34 pm

I just read in another thread that Agger is reportedly close to signing a new contract. My first thought on reading that was "good, now maybe Rafa can put him in the 1st team too".

Is Skrtel a much better defender? Do you think Agger deserves more chances/runs in the side than he gets? Is there nothing between them? Would you include both? Do you think Agger gives more to the side than Skrtel? Or vice versa? Should we try and hang on to one in preference to the other? Are they the future CB pairing for when Carra goes off to take over from ORN?  :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I voted agger

Obvious attributes : great defender and he's class on the ball, will help us going forward too  :cool:

Skrtl : He's good , but makes costly mistakes. I'm worried  that he gets a few too many plaudits so early in his LFC career  because he looks the part of a hardman defender

I hope the 2 of them form a legendary partnership. If we had been  allowed 2 votes, i would have voted "Skrtl & Agger" second
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri May 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Agger is by far a better player. I really like the way he can bring the ball forward and create attacks and poses a goal threat at times. As someone else on here said recently he is the closest thing to Alan Hansen we have had. #

Skrtel is ok but he is too careless at times. Since the Boro game he has been rubbish, making mistakes all the time. Those 2 headers against Chelsea were down to him not looking who was around him. Someone of his size needs to use his head more so he can use his size to his advantage. Having said that I think he has the potential to be a good player for us but right now Agger is ahead of him in that respect.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

both
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby sworth26 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:00 pm

2010/11 season I would play both but next season my first choice would be Carra and Agger
sworth26

Postby Owzat » Fri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm

It will be quite interesting if this poll favours Agger yet Rafa seems to favour Skrtel. I'm sure Rafa could give the permutations of pairings a handful of games each eg Agger-Carragher six games, Skrtel-Agger next six games, Skrtel-Carragher six games after that...............

I personally prefer Agger, better on the ball and happy to come out with the ball and even dribble through the opposition defence which against the weaker sides parking buses, can be a handy attribute. Has a great shot on him and defensively I don't think Skrtel is much better at any one thing that Agger if at all. I agree with DrPepe that Skrtel seems to get credit for his style of defending, but I think the balance is better with Agger alongside Carragher.

If one or both improve a lot then we have a great CB pairing for the future, they're both only 24 and most decent CBs in the Premiership are older. Hangeland has been linked with us and he's nearly 28, only about three years younger than Carra. Hyypia is nearly 36, he says he wants regular football even though he's very close to the end of his career and regular football may result in an injury that ends it, but he can't be our back-up for much longer so losing him and Agger could be a disaster. We need Rafa to find Agger II, a 21-22 year old who can be the next Alan Hansen.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Agger better than skrtel for me.. Offer something that skrtel doesnt. As well as a solid defender he has an attacking edge thats a bonus. Would play both though in the future so keep both.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Skrtyl has the raw defensive talent. He was our best defender earlier in the season, before he injured his knee.

Agger offers more from an attacking aspect, and is much better on the ball.

It's swings and roundabouts, really.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Think this is the pairing for the future , i think Jamie (and this is nothing against him ) is going to be playing less and less in the future . If this season is anything to go by Jamie's very high standards that he a has set have not always been lived up to . So i voted for both.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:53 pm

both !! :D
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Totally different styles of play which makes the question "who do you prefer" partially redundant as my choice would be based on who they're playing alongside, ie the ever present legend that is Carragher.

H'mmmmm,  ok, alongside Carragher, I'd go with Hansen , oops sorry :D, Agger  ! , BUT if Jamies not available, I'd be chalking in Skrtels name before Aggers.

Does that help

???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby NANNY RED » Fri May 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Both for me, Finese and class in Agger and a rough diamond in Skrtel. Both young an both still learning there trade
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 pm

I would keep both,but as Carra is getting on and will be faded out like Hyypia has been there is no doubt in my mind we need to buy a recognized top of his trade world class central defender!

If people think these two as a pairing are our future I worry.Both very good players and as mentioned may get better.I ask this though,look back 4 years or whatever and see Hyypia and Carra in their prime..then ask yourselves will either Skrtel or Agger get to that level?
Its a big NEVER for me..although I could be wrong!

Either way,we need a worldclass defender if not this season critically next!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 pm

This could be Carragher's last season as 1st choice, i like the guy a lot but he is struggling to keep up with the performances of the last couple of years.

Agger is a better footballer than Skrtel but maybe Skrtel will be the best defender in the long run.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Looks like Aggers stayin an all,

Back of tonight Echo

Rafael Benitez today confirmed Daniel Agger is close to agreeing a new contract at Anfield. 
Click here to watch our interview with Rafa>>

The Danish defender's future has been the subject of speculation for many months, but a deal is now close which will ensure the 24-year-old commits his future to the Reds.

"It is very close," confirmed Benitez today. "We are just waiting on the small details but it is nearly done. We have to wait a little bit longer but we are very close.

"He is very happy here and I have always supported him. Hopefully it will be done."

Benitez also brushed off speculation in this morning's newspapers linking Javier Mascherano with a move away from the club.

"I was talking with Javier earlier and everything is okay," he added.

"He is really pleased here because he knows the fans love him. He can't avoid big clubs asking about him because he is a top class player, but he is very happy here."

Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard has overcome a groin strain and will be available for this weekend's clash with Newcastle United at Anfield. 

Made up :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion