Et'o: we did a liverpool! - Inspiration from anfield to paris!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Thu May 18, 2006 1:31 am

I think its great that in any comeback now, Liverpool will always be mentioned in the press and by the players. Everyone wants to do a Liverpool, but sadly, they can always try and emulate us, they will never be us. Its called envy!

From foxsports.com.au

We did a Liveprool: Eto'o
From correspondents in Paris
May 18, 2006

SAMUEL Eto'o said Barcelona had drawn inspiration from Liverpool to come from behind and beat Arsenal 2-1 in the Champions League final today (AEST)

The Cameroon striker, named man of the match, scored the second-half equaliser with Juliano Belletti netting the winner after Arsenal, reduced to 10 men, had taken a 37th-minute lead.

"We never thought the game was lost," Eto'o said.

"After having seen what Liverpool did last year we told ourselves not to throw in the towel.

"We followed Liverpool's example."

Liverpool staged the most remarkable comeback in the competition's history when fighting back from 3-0 down at half-time against AC Milan in Istanbul last year to force the game into extra-time and then win on penalties.

"In the final you can't doubt yourselves," Eto'o said.

"The final's played right up to the last whistle. We covered ourselves in the spirit of Liverpool."

Eto'o then tried to sum up what it meant for Barcelona to leave the Stade de France with the European crown tucked under its arms.

"It's incredible. There's no other word to describe it. In a few years, my son, I'll be able to tell him: we won the Champions League and I scored my team's equaliser.

"Tonight is for Barcelona, not for Ronaldinho, Belletti or Eto'o. It's a collective success."

Quizzed at the post-match press conference on Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann's controversial sending-off in the first half Eto'o said: "The referee did what he thought was the right thing at the time.

"We thought he was going to let play go on and that the goal (from Ludovic Giuly) would be allowed. But he blew his whistle before, that's the way it is."
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 1:54 am

I think its great that in any comeback now, Liverpool will always be mentioned in the press and by the players. Everyone wants to do a Liverpool, but sadly, they can always try and emulate us, they will never be us. Its called envy!

Well said. To do a Liverpool the following things must be done:
-trail 3-0 at half-time against a top class opposition
-score 3 goals in six minutes
-have your keeper make two unbeliavable saves in extra time
-win the penalty shoot out

Comming back from 1-0 down against 10 men is harldy doing a Liverpool but still nice to hear our name.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_ The _Prowler » Thu May 18, 2006 1:55 am

Top man Eto'o, always been one of my fav strikers.
Fowler_ The _Prowler

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 18, 2006 2:19 am

To be fair to Eto'o, there are very few "top" strikers in Europe that haven't got their heads firmly rooted up their own bottoms.

Infact, the only other down-to-Earth World class striker I can think of is Shevchenko. He always seems to show a lot of humility, which is probably why he is so widely liked as a player.

It's a pity certain other forwards fail to realise this.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 am

He is always welcome to join us :D
Houllier=LFC

Postby el_stinger » Thu May 18, 2006 5:22 am

Well, Sheva did say that its not about the money, when quizzed about a possible move away from the San Siro. But, the transfer fee is the one that we are up against if we are in the market for him. I dont care how old he gets, the guy is always welcome in the team. True World Class act that fella!
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 18, 2006 5:46 am

we returned from 3-0 down
you returned from 1-0 down
so you've at least already made 1/3 Liverpool
Not bad and well done anyways, lads
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 18, 2006 6:18 am

The cable telly in my parts of the world showed last season's CL final and I still have get goosebumps watching Stevie G scoring that header in the 52nd minute, followed by Smicer's goal some 2 minutes later and then Gerrard being tripped in the penalty area by Gatusso. Gatusso escaped with no cautions at all. He waould have walked to the showers had the ref been this year's final ref.

Strangely, the ref in Barca-Arsenal match was prone to giving freekicks against and cautions to Arsenal for having Henry kicked by barca players who then proceeded to collide and then "fall" conveniently and getting the decisions. Still, at the end of the day, barca were the better team...but only did 1/3 of what Liverpool did.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:28 am

Houllier=LFC wrote:He is always welcome to join us :D

I remember when Houllier was incharge there were rumours we were trying to sign him, but at the time Eto came out and whinged the weather was to cold.

I havent seen much of him play TBH but what I have seen of him he looks overated in my opinion.

Back to the topic, its nice to hear our names mentioned as somebody else said..... But they never did A Liverpool.  :laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 18, 2006 7:31 am

Banga man, Eto'o is perhaps the finest striker from Africa at this present moment. He's very quick and has scored consistently for Barca for the past 2 seasons. He is not as deadly accurate as Schevchenko but he is far more mobile and his accuracy is still tops the likes of Robinho or Adebayor or any of our present strikers with the exception of Fowler.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu May 18, 2006 9:10 am

What these people do not understand and what I said to my cousin (Arsenal fan)......

ONLY LIVERPOOL CAN DO A LIVERPOOL

:cool:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 18, 2006 9:15 am

Its not "envy" and we should welcome the fact that Liverpool's great win will be remembered by world class players from foreign clubs.

Great game by Eto'o, they really deserved the win.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu May 18, 2006 10:55 am

Can anyone tell me besides the Gunners and  our runners up in the ill fated 1985 Final. What other English teams have made the Champion league/European Cup final and lost ???
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu May 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I thought I heard Leeds mentioned for that last night mate, not sure though.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alessandromagno » Thu May 18, 2006 3:07 pm

English teams have an incredible record in European Cup Final. 10 wins and just 3 losses (Leeds, Liverpool and Arsenal). Compare that with Italian teams which have won the cup 10x--but played in the final more than 20x!
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion