MARTIN KELLY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 pm

:D Fecking hell chill pills all round. I'll say it again I LIKED HIM AND I THOUGHT HE DID WELL. I'm simply saying I don't think he'll ever make a left back. Feck me if you asked the player himself I think he'd probably agree with me :D.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby boodiddy1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Sorry Mick it wasn't a pop at you just think he's better off staying and getting a good amount of games for us under his belt
boodiddy1

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 pm

boodiddy1 wrote:Sorry Mick it wasn't a pop at you just think he's better off staying and getting a good amount of games for us under his belt

Nae bother mate. Like I say I like the lad and definately think he's going to make a centre half.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 pm

Kelly played well. Pacheco didnt
Thommo's perm

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 pm

pacheco looked tired.

kelly did well - got forward at the right times and put the ball into dangerous areas when he had the chance. defensively solid. should get plenty of minutes for the 1st team this season. much better than what could've been expected of insua.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 pm

I agree with Mick in thinking he's not going to make it as a leftback...
I still think he'd make it as a rightback though, and I would keep him as backup for Johnson if we dont get anyone in...
For me, he's a good defender and might make a decent CB... However, he has alot more to offer playing the RB position... Havent seen much of him playing CB to determine whether he has the mental attributes needed for the role... But down the flank, i think the 2 most important attributes are positioning and the timing of the run.... Seems to have both... He's very right-footed, cuts the run well and seems pretty composed on the ball... Has the makings of a decent RB imo... Think Warnock down the right flank..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 am

aCe' wrote:I agree with Mick in thinking he's not going to make it as a leftback...
I still think he'd make it as a rightback though, and I would keep him as backup for Johnson if we dont get anyone in...
For me, he's a good defender and might make a decent CB... However, he has alot more to offer playing the RB position... Havent seen much of him playing CB to determine whether he has the mental attributes needed for the role... But down the flank, i think the 2 most important attributes are positioning and the timing of the run.... Seems to have both... He's very right-footed, cuts the run well and seems pretty composed on the ball... Has the makings of a decent RB imo... Think Warnock down the right flank..

I'd agree with that. looks like we've got a solid dependable young player there. I'd be perfectly happy with Kelly as first reserve to Jonno for the coming season. Hopefully Darby and Spearing can offer a similar dependable quality as well.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:47 am

bavlondon wrote:He done really well tonight too. Really hope we see more of him in the 1st team this year.

I suspect we won't see a lot of him except as injury cover and the odd appearance here and there.

I think the reason he was playing LB is not that Woy intends playing him there, but if Insua is leaving and Aurelio isn't going to be risked then who else could play there?!?!

Did well last night, but it wasn't the most demanding of games/ties. LB might be his best shot of making a mark on the team, unless people think he will displace Johnson or that Woy will use him at CB ahead of Kyrgiakos, Carra, Agger and Skrtel. For those thinking we need new CBs, I suggest Woy will buy before deciding to throw Kelly in at the deep end as a permanent CB solution.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 am

He isn't a stranger to playing on the left, is what I meant to say. Despite the level of opposition last night I think he has all the attributes to least be backup.

As for CB I actually hope Loy doesn't buy anyone worse. It's also another place where Kelly an come in and don't forget we also have Wilson who I'm sur Loy will want to start blooding in too.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:10 am

Loy, Woy :laugh: Listen to yourselves guys  :D :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 am

Kelly was great last night. He reminded me of Hanson at times. We should keep him and use him in the first team this season. Our team has always had a core of home grown Liverpool lads in it and I think Roy understands this.

Well done Kelly
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 am

Has a very big future this lad.
I also dont think his left is just for standing on mick. He put a decent cross in with his left foot in the second half. He clearly favours the right but is by no means one footed for me.
Centre back is meant to be his natural position apparantly, but he is unlikely to get games there at this stage of his career with the options we already have.
For me he would be fine covering either full back position if needed.
There is not a chance in the world i would consider loaning him out.
Roy has the chance to give some of these young lads a chance. This can have a huge bearing on whether other young players choose anfield or goodison in the future. I am pretty sure that alot of young lads from the city and the surrounding areas would have been advised over the last few seasons that they would have more of a chance of breaking into the first team if they were ar Goodison.

Anyway like i said i am really impressed with him.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:12 am

Seen him come into the first team twice - once at right back and once at left back and he has been my MOM in both those games and playing in a position that is not even his best or most natural - great future for the lad and a natural successor to Carra IMO - him agger and Ayala along with Wisdom are our future CBs and I'm pretty excited about it .
Benny The Noon

Postby addy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:51 pm

I thought he had a cracking game tbh. Rarely got caught out of position, offered plenty of width, looked comfortable and unhurried when he received the ball (although the poor opposition may have helped there).

Not afraid to run at his opposing full-back and put a couple of decent crosses in. Other than that, didn't give the ball away and contributed to a generally slick Liverpool performance.

Would hate to see him go out on loan. I think he needs to be given games, either at FB or CB. Even if he's used in the Europa League and League Cup, will be good experience and will give Carra chance to put his feet up for a night and relax :)
addy

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:23 am

Ben Patrick wrote:Has a very big future this lad.
I also dont think his left is just for standing on mick. He put a decent cross in with his left foot in the second half. He clearly favours the right but is by no means one footed for me.
Centre back is meant to be his natural position apparantly, but he is unlikely to get games there at this stage of his career with the options we already have.
For me he would be fine covering either full back position if needed.

There is not a chance in the world i would consider loaning him out.
Roy has the chance to give some of these young lads a chance. This can have a huge bearing on whether other young players choose anfield or goodison in the future. I am pretty sure that alot of young lads from the city and the surrounding areas would have been advised over the last few seasons that they would have more of a chance of breaking into the first team if they were ar Goodison.

Anyway like i said i am really impressed with him.

In red is my sentiments exactly. He is young enough he can still develop into a different position, just because someone played CB up to a certain (age) level doesn't mean they can't adapt and quickly. It would be prudent on his part to work on his game and try to see where he could get more games rather than hang around and hope we decide to integrate a CB in from the youth/reserves.

CB is a pivotal position, I doubt many managers who have lofty ambitions will take risks there. Terry and King are exceptions, but look at other top clubs and see who they rely on. Some rate Evans at the mancs very highly, but their 1st choices are both bought and at a cost £36m-£37m between them. Therein lies my point, top sides can buy £7m+ CBs and do, it is a lot more secure than hoping the lad coming through the ranks will come through a steep learning curve rapidly enough without costing goals and points.

CBs are one of the positions on the field you don't tend to substitute for two key reasons - you don't want to break up a solid and reliable partnership if it is working and it isn't a very good tactical move so can be a waste of a substitution. So someone like Kelly might sit on the bench more often than he gets on if he tells the manager/management that he is a CB and doesn't want to play LB/RB ie the more flexible he is, the more likely he'll get on. If he said "I won't play LB" to Woy then he may well have missed out on the last two games altogether

We need a LB, if Insua is on the way out and Aurelio's fitness remains unreliable, then LB is an opening he could flourish in. IF he can make himself a valuable option at LB OR RB then he could well get a few games as Degen is surplus to requirements so we don't have a lot of cover at RB either. And most think him a better prospect than Darby, being able to play LB, RB or CB would make him a valuable asset most managers would be reluctant to let go. If O'Shea weren't so flexible would he still be at the mancs?!?

"is considered by many as one of the most versatile players in the Premier League. He has played in every position for Manchester United, including a brief spell as an emergency goalkeeper in a match against Tottenham Hotspur"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O%27Shea

Would he have 300+ apps for the mancs if he stuck to one position rigidly?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion