Lucas. could it just be.... - That we've found ourselves another gem.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:17 pm

jumping the gun a bit seeing as we've only seen him play a couple of competitive games in a red shirt, but from what i've seen i have been impressed with. he reminds of a certain (dare i say it)....fabregas for arsenal!

what stands out for me is his composure on the ball. he has an eye for a good pass. he is not the type of player that goes for the "hollywood" type of ball; but when a simple pass is on, he does it effectively. (maybe he can help sissoko in this department!)

i believe he has the potential to have a wonderful future here, he seems to have settled really quickly considering he's only been at liverpool for a short space of time and i can see him being a key player for us next season.

me thinks the "best midfield in the world" song needs altering....

oooooh oooh oooooooh..
weve got the best midfield in the world...
weve got Xabi Alonso,
Lucas and Momo,
Gerrard
and Mascheranoooooooooooooooo!

thoughts?  :)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Well the fact we paid 6mil for him said to me right away that hes not some fringe player who will play in the reserves.

Im not sure what the award is called but didnt he win some award last year in Brazil. I think the same award was previously won by Ronaldinho, Kaka and Romario so the lad must have some pedegree.

The only thing is by next season I can see us losing one of our CM's to accomodate him, which at first sounds :censored: but if it betters the team then so be it. I have a feeling it will be Momo. Desite being able to break up play he cant pass to save his life. Lucas carried him on the weekend. But now we have Mascherano who can not only break up play but also dictate play aswell so.....

All in all some interesting times ahead for young Lucas.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Forever_Red » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Bav its called the Bola de Ouro (Brazillian Footballer of the Year) and it was indeed won by Kaka, ROnaldinho and the rest, he was known as the Brazillian Gerrard over there as well. I thin a CM will go as well and if I had to choose i would be Momo to go.
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby stoney » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:09 pm

He looks too much like Bellamy for my liking :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:08 pm

The guy must be bloody good in training if Rafa was willing to take Gerrard off for him in the derby a few weeks back.

We've seen bits and pieces of him in cup games and sub appearances, but yesterday in his first premiership start I thought he played well.  Definitely a good passer, not afraid of a tackle and covers a lot of ground.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:22 pm

doesnt look like fabergas for me

a quality holding midfield type though, hard in the tackle and composed on the ball

see ya momo, your gone in the jan transfer window
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:31 pm

I think he looks like a smashing little footballer to be perfectly honest. I'm not going to go into the decision to bring Gerrard off in the derby now because I did that to death at the time, bt there seems to be no doubt at all that the little Brazillian can play a bit.

I mentioned on another thread that he has an "Arsenalish" look about him to me. He reminds me of a Fabregas type, he's all 360 degree looks when he hasn't got it, floating into pockets, keeping it simple and he gets a good body shape however it comes to him so he can ping it first time if necessary. Like the arsenal man he also has a little bit of snap in his tackling, a bit of devil about him if you like, and if he can drift into the box with the same intelligence and football brain that he shows in the centre circle, he might just make himself a proper player over here. I like him, and I can see why he was worth money even though he is something of a punt in English football.

The only problem I can see with him is the same as I see with Sissoko. They both need to play much more than they actually are. How do you address that? well selling a central midfielder is step one in all probability. Passmeistro's new "best midfield in the World" song is spot on both in rhythm and sentiment, but it's worth remembering that although it wouldn't really fit, we are talking best "central" midfiled really as we certainly aren't the best out wide.

I know it's controversial and puts me in a significant minority, but given our supposed lack of huge fundage I'd be inclined to think very carefully about Masherano and whether it is the best use of our money to commit to a long term deal.He's a lovely player and all that, but if Alonso and Gerrard are fit I suspect the manager will see him as "first rotation", which will not only make him look expensive but mean that the likes of Lucas and Sissoko (who is a much better player than he is currently showing and if we do sell him I hope it's outside of the Premiership) will get less opportunity to develop.

I actually believe that in time, (and I'm fully aware that this sticking my neck out unbelieveably, talk about "I know it's early") Lucas may prove to be a better player than Masherano. We'll see.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:06 pm

bigmick wrote:I know it's controversial and puts me in a significant minority, but given our supposed lack of huge fundage I'd be inclined to think very carefully about Masherano and whether it is the best use of our money to commit to a long term deal.He's a lovely player and all that, but if Alonso and Gerrard are fit I suspect the manager will see him as "first rotation", which will not only make him look expensive but mean that the likes of Lucas and Sissoko (who is a much better player than he is currently showing and if we do sell him I hope it's outside of the Premiership) will get less opportunity to develop.

I already floated that idea meself in the match thread this morning but it was closed before i could get a bite! I've been VERY impressed with Lucas in the limited time i've seen him. He's technically excellent, keeps it simple but showed a couple of times yesterday that he could spray the ball about when there are options out wide. I was a little surprised to see how well he tackles and as you say he's got a bit of devil in him and looks like he has played in the EPL before.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:10 am

Yeah, he looks good so far.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 am

great potential, been impressed with him so far
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:07 am

better than mascherano? no never they are different types of players, and javier mascherano is the best defensive midfielder in the world bar none!
Pedro Maradona

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:26 am

bigmick wrote:I think he looks like a smashing little footballer to be perfectly honest. I'm not going to go into the decision to bring Gerrard off in the derby now because I did that to death at the time, bt there seems to be no doubt at all that the little Brazillian can play a bit.

I mentioned on another thread that he has an "Arsenalish" look about him to me. He reminds me of a Fabregas type, he's all 360 degree looks when he hasn't got it, floating into pockets, keeping it simple and he gets a good body shape however it comes to him so he can ping it first time if necessary. Like the arsenal man he also has a little bit of snap in his tackling, a bit of devil about him if you like, and if he can drift into the box with the same intelligence and football brain that he shows in the centre circle, he might just make himself a proper player over here. I like him, and I can see why he was worth money even though he is something of a punt in English football.

The only problem I can see with him is the same as I see with Sissoko. They both need to play much more than they actually are. How do you address that? well selling a central midfielder is step one in all probability. Passmeistro's new "best midfield in the World" song is spot on both in rhythm and sentiment, but it's worth remembering that although it wouldn't really fit, we are talking best "central" midfiled really as we certainly aren't the best out wide.

I know it's controversial and puts me in a significant minority, but given our supposed lack of huge fundage I'd be inclined to think very carefully about Masherano and whether it is the best use of our money to commit to a long term deal.He's a lovely player and all that, but if Alonso and Gerrard are fit I suspect the manager will see him as "first rotation", which will not only make him look expensive but mean that the likes of Lucas and Sissoko (who is a much better player than he is currently showing and if we do sell him I hope it's outside of the Premiership) will get less opportunity to develop.

Agreed, mostly. A good prospect, needs to develop physically though.
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 am

Pedro Maradona wrote:better than mascherano? no never they are different types of players, and javier mascherano is the best defensive midfielder in the world bar none!

It's an interesting point of view. I actually agree that they are a different type of player, and I hope that Lucas is allowed to model his game more on a Fabregas than a Masherano, simply because I have a feeling he might have a goal in him and a creative streak if given the chance to flourish.

As for Masherano being the best defensive midfielder in the World, well I'm not so sure about that. He's an ezcellent player of that there's no doubt, but I'm not entirely sure he's the best defensive midfielder at the club never mind in the World.

I've actually been a fraction disappointed in him since Alonso's absense, and it's not just because the fecker proved me wrong about him being more compatable with Gerrard than Alonso was (not just because of that but mostly    :D ). I don't think he's as good a player as Makeleli was for Chelsea in that pure, 100% holding midfileder role, and I think at times he hasn't taken enough responsibility when we've got the ball. I'm not asking for Hollywoods, but International class central midfielders should be prepared to drop in and get it rather than let the likes of Hyppia take the flack for hoofing it. Gerrard too has let us down a bit on that score, and it is the reason why Alonso will certainly be one of the first choices when he comes back.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:43 am

Lucas is certainly a player with tons of potential. He is very poise and by keeping things simple, it makes him more effective. I think we can't really judge him yet simply based on his display against newcastle because N'castle was really shlt. By having so many central midfielders, playing time will be a problem. Alonso is already complaining about this and maybe even Momo. As for Mascherano, I agree with bigmick on whether it is worthwhile to commit this kind of money to him. If we keep him, we need to sell Momo. But I think it is better off to keep Momo and spend the reported 17million on a winger instead. WIth Alonso, Momo, Lucas and SG, we are more than cover for the 2 central positions. If we can get someone like Simao or Quaresma, we would be even more effective as we are lacking speedy skillful winger than a holding Midfielder.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 am

Forever_Red wrote:Bav its called the Bola de Ouro (Brazillian Footballer of the Year) and it was indeed won by Kaka, ROnaldinho and the rest, he was known as the Brazillian Gerrard over there as well. I thin a CM will go as well and if I had to choose i would be Momo to go.

Tevez won it the year before he did. And Lucas was the youngest ever player to win the award
JoeTerp

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion