Lucas. could it just be.... - That we've found ourselves another gem.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:37 pm

bigmick wrote:I hope that Lucas is allowed to model his game more on a Fabregas than a Masherano, simply because I have a feeling he might have a goal in him and a creative streak if given the chance to flourish.

I'd agree with that. Certainly his stats from Brazil seem to suggest that he can be a box to box player as he scored a fair few goals and won the Brazilian player of the year.

However in our current setup I think it's fair to say that Lucas is more like Alonso than Mascherano in that his ball retention is excellent. He also started the majority of attacks the other day from a deep position aka Alonso.

The kid will be a star.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Big Niall wrote:Funny how people are saying Momo should be sold, I remember people saying he was going to be better than Viera - one man of the match performance and you'll be saying he should be captain.

The funniest thing is people couldn't see how one dimensional he was, he may be 'young' but I doubt we'll see the kind of improvements in passing, ball skills and shooting that would make him in the same street as Vieira.

I could make a case for Sissoko being the worst signing ever, I think Sissoko is doing it for me right now!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Owzat wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Funny how people are saying Momo should be sold, I remember people saying he was going to be better than Viera - one man of the match performance and you'll be saying he should be captain.

The funniest thing is people couldn't see how one dimensional he was, he may be 'young' but I doubt we'll see the kind of improvements in passing, ball skills and shooting that would make him in the same street as Vieira.

I could make a case for Sissoko being the worst signing ever, I think Sissoko is doing it for me right now!

worse then dijimi? , diouf, or diao? . sissoko is miles apart from those players not only in skill but attitude , i have never ever once seen him complain about the treatment he gets , not playing regularly and taking all the cr@p that he gets from the media . rafa trusts this lad and has shown it , thats why he has played him in big games
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Owzat wrote:

worse then dijimi? , diouf, or diao? . sissoko is miles apart from those players not only in skill but attitude , i have never ever once seen him complain about the treatment he gets , not playing regularly and taking all the cr@p that he gets from the media . rafa trusts this lad and has shown it , thats why he has played him in big games

Traore cost very little, Diao wasn't given much of a chance and Diouf was bought as a striker and played on the wing (similar to Cisse situation, at least Cisse has a few good games to his name). In terms of what you'd expect to pay for someone of his type you wouldn't expect to pay that much.

He's had a few good games, can't remember the last one.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NJD83 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 pm

Well if he as as good as we all think/hope he is, the question comes up again, when everyone is fit who is in our midfield? To acomodae all my favourites it would be this.

Gerrard Alonso Lucas Kewell
in a 442

I know you won't like the fact that Gerrard is wide again but that is the only way we can get the best out of all our best midfield players.
NJD83

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:39 pm

NJD83 wrote:Well if he as as good as we all think/hope he is, the question comes up again, when everyone is fit who is in our midfield? To acomodae all my favourites it would be this.

in a 442

I know you won't like the fact that Gerrard is wide again but that is the only way we can get the best out of all our best midfield players.

We do seem to be accumulating a lot of midfielders, do any really resolve the wide problem? And I would say Sissoko is rapidly sinking down the pecking order for the middle, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas are all way ahead of him in many many respects.

I do wish Rafa would stop buying central midfielders, good that some of them are or look like they will be. Maybe he should get someone else to buy the wide players though, might change our fortunes in that 'department'
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:39 pm

NJD83 wrote:Well if he as as good as we all think/hope he is, the question comes up again, when everyone is fit who is in our midfield? To acomodae all my favourites it would be this.

in a 442

i stick lucas to rotate with masch , and sure i think that many of us don't mind gerrard playing on the right , but even though he is unhappy playing there , he will not say much as all he wants is the best for the club and i am sure he will be willing to sacrifice his favored position ...
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby monkey 20 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 pm

although momo has indeed slipped down the pecking order and has been extremely poor in the passing department as well as giving the ball away needlessly, the flack he is taking from some of you is simply unjust! momo tries his heart out for our club and had a fantastic first season... i agree that we might need to sell him, purely because of our strength in central midfield, but i would back rafa if he kept him. my prefered choice would be to sign mascherano up permanently. i think that some people are jumping the gun thinking that it might be better to let him go because when xabi is fit he'll play and that luca will fill that role alongside stevie, but i think mascherano is a great player, he's still young and he seems to get better each time i watch him... mascherano is a 'monster' as maradona put it, he's all over the place and ive never seen a player put as many tackles in as him! just wathing the porto game, we were pushing forward a lot and it was masch who saved us with some superb tackles which were simply superb! his timing in the tackle is immaculate and he can distribute the ball well. i think it would be a major step backwards to lose javier! yes i believe lucas will develope into a class act, but saying that he'll play a major role next season wouldn't be on the spot, i think maybe in his third or fourth season he'll start showing us that he should be in the starting line up every week. maybe he'll prove me wrong, but with injuries like this season and losing players like alonso, even gerrard, we would be silly to let mascherano go! we definitely need a world class winger, no doubt, but i have faith rafa will convince hicks and gillette to pay out. if momo goes, so be it, but if we want to take our team to the next level then the owners might have the bite their tongues and cough up the dough.
YNWA

may our goals continue!!!
monkey 20

Postby redmikey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 pm

sell momo and bring guthrie back off loan, the lad is doing really well at bolton and is a regular first teamer now

momo is one of the best destructive midfielder s in the world, but he is struggling with the pressure from a world class midfield, sell him at a profit to juve and everyone is happy
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby hello_red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:58 pm

I think that Lucas will and in some ways is a quality player. He has good passing vison like Alonso, but is also a goal threat (derby being a prime example). As for Sissoko, well its a tough one aint it he tries to do to much. He tries to be Pirlo when he should be Gattuso if you catch my drift. If Momo sticks to his destruction job he is good, very good its when he tries to do to much that he comes undone.

As for wingers, a good winger is very expensive and there are not many available.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby europian-kings » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 pm

i am very impressed with him. has done very little wrong in my eyes when on the pitch and i welcome him on. these next couple of seasons are going to make or break his carear at liverpool, with mascherano, alonso, gerrard, sissoko he needs to show improvement each training session and game.
i think he can do it.
lets give him 70+ mins v bolton please rafa!
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby username » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:03 am

Lucas idol is Gerrard, and it often called the brazillen Gerrard, so i would like to see him play in a more forward role, rather than being the DM
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:22 am

I stated in another post that i was impressed with how confortable onthe ball he was and his passing was superb some on hear have compared him to Alonso or Masha

Ive watched this kid a few times now and i think he would be confortable in either a holding midfield or pushing forward the lad has talent , if i had to compare him with anyone i would go for Xavi who plays for Barcelona very much a similar type of player if he turns out anythink like him weve got an uncut diamond on our hands
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 pm

There's barely a mention of the guy in the match reports today. Then again it doesn't surprise me as he's not a product of the 'Arsenal Youth System'.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby VamosRafa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:17 pm

I was at the game yesterday and thought he had a very solid performance with only a few stray passes the whole game, he also seemed to communicate well with gerrard. Would you agree that his performances warrant him going above sissoko in the pecking order for centre-mid? On the strength of the last few performances from both of them, i'd say yes
VamosRafa

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion