Is it just me who doesnt want lucas neill?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:02 am

I really dont think he should join Liverpool, I dont think he is good enough for starters.
And if we get a really good transfer kity in the summer we should be looking to buy someone better, so I dont really see the point in him joining for a few months.
Why not give Peltier a chance?
The lads young works hard, and will only get better with experience.
Its got nothing to do with Neill breaking our players legs, I just dont like him cant put my finger on it.

But if we are going to be seriously challenging for the league this type of player is not what we need.
Finnans been excellent most underated RB in the prem, Lucas Neill is not better than him, and with Finnan getting older should'nt we be looking for someone who will replace him in the future?

The only plus I can see of him coming here is to give Finnan a rest, but Neill plays every week whereas he will be spending most of the time on the bench here.

I just feel we should buy someone with more quality than him, and hopefully we will Daniel Alves.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 am

Well , i want dani alves too but you know...seems unlikely. Neil is a more realistic target at the moment....
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:03 am

The biggest problem I see with signing Neill is that he will be on a big contract. When (If) he fails to secure a regular place in the team and we go for Alves/Richards etc we will be stuck with Neill just as we were stuck with Diao, on big money and happy to sit on his :censored: running down his contract.

The only good thing about signing Neill is he can play all along the back line.
account deleted by request

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:43 am

We should only sign him as cover for Finnan. Think - if the biggest criticism of Finnan is that he isn't attacking enough and doesn't score enough goals how is signing Neill going to improve that?

I tend to agree with CIGGY, play Peltier more or if we are intent on signing someone - make a move for Micah Richards.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 am

i think it depends on the money we have from the takeover. if it is not in place in january, i think he is good as a back up. he is not better than finnan, but we are not buying him for the first 11, we've buying a back-up, what kromkamp was last year.

We will look for finnans replacement (Alves/richards etc) but the two things are not linked. neil will not be brought here as a replacement, just as backup. There is no need to worry.

saints point above about him sitting and running his contract down, i dont think would happen. A majority of footballers want to play football, Diao is rare (thank god) and he ran his contract down, but most will leave to play football elsewhere.  barca have been constantly linked with him, and if we get him on a free... we could always offer him to them ... or to anyone on a free - get rid of his wage bill that way.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sissoko_22 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:56 am

i think that if we are going to buy players we should be lookin for top class players and lucas neill is clearly not. liverpool should be lookin for the best and not settling for second preference (jermaine pennant etc.). we are liverpool fc and if we are gonna challenge for the title , we need the best available. i do however think that we need to sign players in january (especially those with no premiership  experience.that gives them a few months to adapt and we can hit the ground running next season
"A lot of football success is in the mind. you must believe that you are the best and then make sure you are.in my time at liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in mersyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"  - Bill Shankly
sissoko_22

Postby mattylfc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am

I think that Neill will be a good addition personally.  He will not only give Finnan some competition/cover but he will also provide cover along the whole back line as mentioned in another post.

I think Rafa does rate Peltier but he is very young at the moment and lacks experience.  If Finnan was to get injured, it would not be ideal to have Peltier as our first choice RB. Not at the moment anyway.

Rafa has also made it very clear that it's hard to buy top players in the January transfer window when it is half way through the season.  This coupled with the investment talk may mean that he will wait until January before going for the likes of Alves.
mattylfc

Postby CarlosRocks » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:54 am

i agree with giving peltier a chance. finnan is an outstanding player and always performs, so all we need for now is some cover for him. Neill wont want to play a bit part from the bench for us he'll want regular first team games.

i also agree that he isnt good enough to take over from finnan and we should really be looking for someone younger and better than (richards, alves) him for the long term.
CarlosRocks

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:09 pm

If I were Rafa and had his opportunities especially with the imminent takeover, Neil wouldnt be at the top of my shopping list, more closer to the bottom of it.
66-1112520797

Postby el_stinger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:12 pm

If money is no option this summer, then we can look abroad for a better, solid, defender at a decent price. Does anyone know if Moores will add to the kitty if there is no deal struck with Dubai Capital? If a deal is imminent, then we might have funds this summer.

Unfortuantely, now that the money or proposed investment is known to the public, all the clubs we will deal with are going to inflate their asking price in the winter break. Big Style!

As for now, i'm not sure if we should opt for Neil, he's not a world class player, he fumbles under pressure (Australia vs Italy World Cup 06 to jog anyone's memory) and he blindly tackles with two feet, aiming to catch a bit of the ball with a chunk of leg.

No your not the only one who thinks its a bad idea.
Last edited by el_stinger on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:24 pm

if money is no object,why panic buy with someone like lucas neil! we need to bring in the right player to the club first time round,not waste time with average players, we only want players who will have the right attitude,skill,ability to fit into our style of play,be pre-pared to fight for their place & be a step foward in progress,imo neil would be a step back! not good enough for us end of.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby jkop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:51 pm

CarlosRocks wrote:i agree with giving peltier a chance. finnan is an outstanding player and always performs, so all we need for now is some cover for him. Neill wont want to play a bit part from the bench for us he'll want regular first team games.

i also agree that he isnt good enough to take over from finnan and we should really be looking for someone younger and better than (richards, alves) him for the long term.

I totally agree with you there mate. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:37 pm

The only reason we would buy Lucas is because of the urgency of needing some cover for Finnan and lack of time to do so. Which brings me onto my next point of how bad the Transfer Window being introduced is. Teams are spashing out on pointless signings at ridiculous prices just because there is very little time to organize and think more clearly on who and what price you want. O'Neill recently said on Sky Sports News he was against the Window and teams should be allowed to make transfers any day of the season, in which i agree on. I think more managers should complain to the F.A. and see if they will withdraw the rule :)

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm

scouser 'til I die wrote:The only reason we would buy Lucas is because of the urgency of needing some cover for Finnan and lack of time to do so. Which brings me onto my next point of how bad the Transfer Window being introduced is. Teams are spashing out on pointless signings at ridiculous prices just because there is very little time to organize and think more clearly on who and what price you want. O'Neill recently said on Sky Sports News he was against the Window and teams should be allowed to make transfers any day of the season, in which i agree on. I think more managers should complain to the F.A. and see if they will withdraw the rule :)

It's an absurd rule, absolutely.

What the c*nts at the FA don't take into consideration is that the foreign leagues who started this b*llocks have a winter break around Jan, allowing players a site more time to organise transfers, undergo medicals, etc.

There are some thick f*ckers at the FA.  :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:01 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
scouser 'til I die wrote:The only reason we would buy Lucas is because of the urgency of needing some cover for Finnan and lack of time to do so. Which brings me onto my next point of how bad the Transfer Window being introduced is. Teams are spashing out on pointless signings at ridiculous prices just because there is very little time to organize and think more clearly on who and what price you want. O'Neill recently said on Sky Sports News he was against the Window and teams should be allowed to make transfers any day of the season, in which i agree on. I think more managers should complain to the F.A. and see if they will withdraw the rule :)

It's an absurd rule, absolutely.

What the c*nts at the FA don't take into consideration is that the foreign leagues who started this b*llocks have a winter break around Jan, allowing players a site more time to organise transfers, undergo medicals, etc.

There are some thick f*ckers at the FA.  :no

You know Lando you put my point across so much better with so much aggression, superb  :laugh:

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion