LOSING THE FAITH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 pm

When did Liverpool FC become about profits? When did this club care more about their profit and loss statement compared to their on-field performance? Get your head out of the clouds, we all support a club NOT A BUSINESS. In the end we support this great club because we want them to win trophies on the field, nothing more, nothing less. The last two f**ksticks did such a "stellar" job that some of you lunatics think that running a club sensibly is something to shout from the rooftops about. Get over it, it's EXPECTED that they do this! And let's make one thing clear they did this because they stand to make a massive profit when they end up selling this club. Their agenda is different to ours. They aren't like us and will one day move on, we the soul of this club will NEVER MOVE ON.

Who said anything about Liverpool FC becoming all about profits? Why do you keep changing the meaning of my posts? I care about what happens on the pitch as much as I care about how Liverpool as an institution is operating. I support both, the CLUB and the BUSINESS, because at this day and age the BUSINESS is also important and it's important to see a growing institution. Financial document released by Liverpool earlier said ''Football success is a key driver for commercial success'', and I'm yet to see proof and evidence provided by you that supports your conclusion that they want to make a quick buck then sell the club.If so, they could have walked out with the 75m they gained on Suarez last season. The last two f*ck wits did not do a stellar job, they didn't even improve Liverpool financially, in fact we recorded a loss every year (except in 2008, I think) and our financial risk increased dramatically because of the loan they've taken from RBS to purchase the club. Even our operating revenues at that time did not even achieve a bigger growth than when we are with FSG. Plus, the club couldn't afford to repay the loans back, which caused massive solvency and liquidity issues (EVEN WHEN WE WERE IN THE CL). One data I came up that our loans amounted to 170m in July 2010, 4 months before FSG purchased the club. So your conclusion that the two previous owners running the club did a ''stellar'' job is so flawed you couldn't even bother looking at the numbers back then and see that how much of a financial risk we were operating on :no . The agenda of any modern day owner is to maximize his/her returns, in order to do so with Liverpool FC is by challenging for honors and being very successful on the pitch (i.e winning trophies), so if you think that FSG are just looking to get to 4th place every single year or stay in the top 4 then think again, it doesn't make any sense if you buy a top club like Liverpool.

Stolen from another Liverpool forum

Lovren and Markovic were both "moneyball" players whether you want to accept this or not. One was bought on the back of having a great season with Southampton which I'm sure would have yielded a s**tload of statistical data on the premise to buy him. The other is a player that if he kicks on the owners stand to make a tidy profit selling him on in a few seasons time all due to his age. Otherwise the loss will be minimal as we can still sell him at a decent price tag.

No they are not moneyball players, moneyball is ''operations in which a team endeavors to analyze the market for players and buy what is undervalued and sell what is overvalued''. Lovren does not fit the spectrum of moneyball, nor does Balotelli, nor does the signing of Adam Lallana, who we bought them over their value (Lovren was bought 7m by Southampton). So when adam Lallana gets to the age of 29 and we decide to cash in we will make a minimal loss? What also contradicts your argument about FSG's role of having cheap statistical players by giving them low wages is that with FSG our wage bill has DOUBLED since 2007.

They even offered the SAME amount of wage structure to Sanchez and yet he opted for Arsenal, so are you going to blame FSG for that?

20m is nothing to sneeze at, but in this day and age it's nothing compared to what the richest clubs in Europe are paying for top, top players. My argument all along has been that we have been selling players like Suarez for 63m (or 70m depending on who you believe), Torres for 50m, Alonso for 30m and never replacing them with quality players that WOULD COST THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY. Our biggest spend in our entire history has been for a 35m pony-tailed dud. And yet there is this delusion that we will compete with these sides, where this mentality comes from I don't understand? 

How is it FSG's fault if the committee and Rodgers can't do the job properly by scouting the right players? paying 20m on the RIGHT players? The only blame here on FSG is that they recruited the WRONG people, if there was better recruitment team in place then we wouldn't even having this discussion and we wouldn't be in 5th place. FSG spent 135m NET on players so far, that is A LOT of money. Exclude the net spend, we have spent so much money on average players, the owners don't take even 20% of the blame. The Transfer Committee failed big time to acquire the right players, so it's up to the owners to get better ones by screening candidates better.

Rodgers and the transfer committee don't dictate the transfers. Our owners demanding a ROI on our players are what dictates our transfer policy. What drives ROI? Youth. Rodgers and the transfer committee go out with the limited money they are given and then try and get the best players they can. Because promising young players aren't cheap they aren't left with too much to spend so then need to try and get players like Lambert and Toure to fill in the gaps. This is why we have seen so many horrendous acquisitions over the last three years, which is arguably the worst in the club's history. Because of this ROI is driving our strategy, not the actual premise of buying quality and winning trophies.  :laugh:  And we will continue to do this unless the owners decide to spend real dollars on top individuals or they decide to sell the club.

If you're a CEO of a company who just hired a manager to work in sales and you give him the directive on how he should improve sales, but the manager in the end does not live up to his/her expectation it's the CEO's fault? 10% yes because he hired the wrong candidate, but 90% is down to the manager for failing on doing his duties. The horrendous acquisitions are down to the people who are in charge of the recruitment policy, NOT the board of directors. Lallana, Balotelli & Lovren are not cheap, they are pretty expensive and we paid top dollar to buy the 3 of them, but they are also not youth and are actually in their maturity age, so you can't assume that the ROI on our players dictate the transfer policy, because we have 3 signings that contradicts this assumption. Ok let's say FSG are forcing the committee to buy young players, so why did they buy the likes of Ilori, Moreno, Markovic, Alberto, etc... for a lot of money when these youth are NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH OR EVEN HAVE ANY SORT OF POTENTIAL?  The policy is good, the recruitment is not.

That's the reason we have imploded as a club this season, you can blame our inept and inexperienced manager all you want, but the underlying reason why we have bought so much dross in and are underperforming is because of our deluded owners wanting to make money over winning trophies. I mean you even summarised it so neatly when you said this "Can you dispute the clear cut FACTS that off the field we have recorded a profit since 2007, our revenues grew since 2011" not realising what this actually means from a football point of view.

The reason we imploded this season is because of our incompetent scouts and decision making in buying the wrong players, hell we wanted a Goalkeeper yet the recruitment team decided not to get another GK, we also wanted a Suarez type of player, yet we got Balotelli. I bet it's FSG's fault for not pinpointing our weaknesses and forced the Balotelli purchase.  :glare:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:06 am wrote:4. The reason we imploded this season (IMHO) is because we lack leadership on the field (Souness, Kenny, Emlyn where are you?) and we didn't replace Suarez. When we sold Keegan, we bought Kenny etc.. Bob must be quietly shaking his head....

Got it in one Reg, with point 4. No leadership in the defence or midfield has f**ked us, along with no Suarez replacement. Mario was worth a gamble, but only as a back up striker...why the hell didn't we sign a proven striker to replace Luis?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:06 am

metalhead wrote:
When did Liverpool FC become about profits? When did this club care more about their profit and loss statement compared to their on-field performance? Get your head out of the clouds, we all support a club NOT A BUSINESS. In the end we support this great club because we want them to win trophies on the field, nothing more, nothing less. The last two f**ksticks did such a "stellar" job that some of you lunatics think that running a club sensibly is something to shout from the rooftops about. Get over it, it's EXPECTED that they do this! And let's make one thing clear they did this because they stand to make a massive profit when they end up selling this club. Their agenda is different to ours. They aren't like us and will one day move on, we the soul of this club will NEVER MOVE ON.

Who said anything about Liverpool FC becoming all about profits? Why do you keep changing the meaning of my posts? I care about what happens on the pitch as much as I care about how Liverpool as an institution is operating. I support both, the CLUB and the BUSINESS, because at this day and age the BUSINESS is also important and it's important to see a growing institution. Financial document released by Liverpool earlier said ''Football success is a key driver for commercial success'', and I'm yet to see proof and evidence provided by you that supports your conclusion that they want to make a quick buck then sell the club.If so, they could have walked out with the 75m they gained on Suarez last season. The last two f*ck wits did not do a stellar job, they didn't even improve Liverpool financially, in fact we recorded a loss every year (except in 2008, I think) and our financial risk increased dramatically because of the loan they've taken from RBS to purchase the club. Even our operating revenues at that time did not even achieve a bigger growth than when we are with FSG. Plus, the club couldn't afford to repay the loans back, which caused massive solvency and liquidity issues (EVEN WHEN WE WERE IN THE CL). One data I came up that our loans amounted to 170m in July 2010, 4 months before FSG purchased the club. So your conclusion that the two previous owners running the club did a ''stellar'' job is so flawed you couldn't even bother looking at the numbers back then and see that how much of a financial risk we were operating on :no . The agenda of any modern day owner is to maximize his/her returns, in order to do so with Liverpool FC is by challenging for honors and being very successful on the pitch (i.e winning trophies), so if you think that FSG are just looking to get to 4th place every single year or stay in the top 4 then think again, it doesn't make any sense if you buy a top club like Liverpool.

Stolen from another Liverpool forum

Lovren and Markovic were both "moneyball" players whether you want to accept this or not. One was bought on the back of having a great season with Southampton which I'm sure would have yielded a s**tload of statistical data on the premise to buy him. The other is a player that if he kicks on the owners stand to make a tidy profit selling him on in a few seasons time all due to his age. Otherwise the loss will be minimal as we can still sell him at a decent price tag.

No they are not moneyball players, moneyball is ''operations in which a team endeavors to analyze the market for players and buy what is undervalued and sell what is overvalued''. Lovren does not fit the spectrum of moneyball, nor does Balotelli, nor does the signing of Adam Lallana, who we bought them over their value (Lovren was bought 7m by Southampton). So when adam Lallana gets to the age of 29 and we decide to cash in we will make a minimal loss? What also contradicts your argument about FSG's role of having cheap statistical players by giving them low wages is that with FSG our wage bill has DOUBLED since 2007.

They even offered the SAME amount of wage structure to Sanchez and yet he opted for Arsenal, so are you going to blame FSG for that?

20m is nothing to sneeze at, but in this day and age it's nothing compared to what the richest clubs in Europe are paying for top, top players. My argument all along has been that we have been selling players like Suarez for 63m (or 70m depending on who you believe), Torres for 50m, Alonso for 30m and never replacing them with quality players that WOULD COST THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY. Our biggest spend in our entire history has been for a 35m pony-tailed dud. And yet there is this delusion that we will compete with these sides, where this mentality comes from I don't understand? 

How is it FSG's fault if the committee and Rodgers can't do the job properly by scouting the right players? paying 20m on the RIGHT players? The only blame here on FSG is that they recruited the WRONG people, if there was better recruitment team in place then we wouldn't even having this discussion and we wouldn't be in 5th place. FSG spent 135m NET on players so far, that is A LOT of money. Exclude the net spend, we have spent so much money on average players, the owners don't take even 20% of the blame. The Transfer Committee failed big time to acquire the right players, so it's up to the owners to get better ones by screening candidates better.

Rodgers and the transfer committee don't dictate the transfers. Our owners demanding a ROI on our players are what dictates our transfer policy. What drives ROI? Youth. Rodgers and the transfer committee go out with the limited money they are given and then try and get the best players they can. Because promising young players aren't cheap they aren't left with too much to spend so then need to try and get players like Lambert and Toure to fill in the gaps. This is why we have seen so many horrendous acquisitions over the last three years, which is arguably the worst in the club's history. Because of this ROI is driving our strategy, not the actual premise of buying quality and winning trophies.  :laugh:  And we will continue to do this unless the owners decide to spend real dollars on top individuals or they decide to sell the club.

If you're a CEO of a company who just hired a manager to work in sales and you give him the directive on how he should improve sales, but the manager in the end does not live up to his/her expectation it's the CEO's fault? 10% yes because he hired the wrong candidate, but 90% is down to the manager for failing on doing his duties. The horrendous acquisitions are down to the people who are in charge of the recruitment policy, NOT the board of directors. Lallana, Balotelli & Lovren are not cheap, they are pretty expensive and we paid top dollar to buy the 3 of them, but they are also not youth and are actually in their maturity age, so you can't assume that the ROI on our players dictate the transfer policy, because we have 3 signings that contradicts this assumption. Ok let's say FSG are forcing the committee to buy young players, so why did they buy the likes of Ilori, Moreno, Markovic, Alberto, etc... for a lot of money when these youth are NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH OR EVEN HAVE ANY SORT OF POTENTIAL?  The policy is good, the recruitment is not.

That's the reason we have imploded as a club this season, you can blame our inept and inexperienced manager all you want, but the underlying reason why we have bought so much dross in and are underperforming is because of our deluded owners wanting to make money over winning trophies. I mean you even summarised it so neatly when you said this "Can you dispute the clear cut FACTS that off the field we have recorded a profit since 2007, our revenues grew since 2011" not realising what this actually means from a football point of view.

The reason we imploded this season is because of our incompetent scouts and decision making in buying the wrong players, hell we wanted a Goalkeeper yet the recruitment team decided not to get another GK, we also wanted a Suarez type of player, yet we got Balotelli. I bet it's FSG's fault for not pinpointing our weaknesses and forced the Balotelli purchase.  :glare:

Are you being paid by FSG to promote them?
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby eds » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:20 am

Haha sounds like it Thommo.

F**k me this Metalhead character isn't just a voice recorder he is their bloody PR machine rolled into one!

To your points:

1. We all want the club to do well off the field just as much as on the field. The argument which you and many others don't seem to grasp is that our owner's are so fixated in working to a particular commercial model that it is shooting this club in the foot every time we start a new season. You can copy and paste as much text from a random document but in the end that means diddly f**king squat when our ON FIELD performance is not acceptable. Why isn't it acceptable, because we aren't spending what we should when it comes to replacing our key players. Reginald keeps hitting this same point and a few other also do, but what they fail to realise is that the reason why we are incapable of doing this is because FSG will not sanction a like for like replacement because it contravenes both their moneyball approach and their commercial strategy (which a lot of people confuse as moneyball).

2. I guess you haven't caught up with the rest of the world when it comes to understanding what sarcasm is. When we put words into inverted commas like you are a "clever" fella we actually mean the opposite.  :upside: Just like when I used the words "stellar" to imply that the previous owners ROYALLY F**KED US OVER and didn’t really do a stellar job. So your rant about our previous owners and comparing them to the current lot makes little sense at all.

3. The owner’s bottom line interest is to make money, whether we win anything along that journey is a bonus from their point of view. You can't convince anyone on here that it's not, before they came along they had no affiliation or emotional attachment to us, so why would they care about winning trophies when the business model they have is set to guarantee them financial success over the long term? Once again there is no arguing that financial success and on field performance are linked to one another, the problem is they aren't mutually exclusive like you are pretending them to be.

4. It really depends what the club determines to be as undervalue or overvalue for each of the players you have mentioned. Tell me how have you determined that  Lovren was overvalued at 20m? Balotelli at 16m? Or Lallana at 25m? You can't because you don't work for the club and have no way of telling me that they were overvalued or undervalued based on the statistical information/performance metrics they had for each player, their current market value and what the CLUB determined would be their value to Liverpool FC. That's actually what moneyball is, thanks for copying and pasting something off a random website but I unlike you I actually like to put a bit of thought before I write. BTW I never said Balotelli or Lallana were moneyball players, you did. Lallana was obviously bought in because he was a home-grown player, which every club needs a quota of for their squads.  Balotelli was a panic buy after we found ourselves without a striker and Rodgers wasn't able to spend the actual money required on an adequate replacement.

5. Why are you comparing our wage bill to what it was in 2007? That was 8 years ago under different market conditions and under (more importantly) different owners who were driving this club into oblivion. Why don't you do the sensible thing and compare it to the four clubs we are in direct competition with to winning trophies and titles with in 2015:
MAN UNITED - $215m
MAN CITY - $205m
ARSENAL - $180m
CHELSEA - $179m
LIVERPOOL - $144m
Oh noesssssssss! There goes your pretty little charts and comparisons. How on earth is Rodgers and the trasnfer committe meant to compete with these other clubs when they have a staggering $35m-$60m difference in their wage budgets alone? Where is that clown Ethanr with his idiotic fact rant now???? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

6. I’m not blaming FSG for Sanchez not coming here. I don’t know where you got that from? All I’m saying is that the club should have used the Suarez deal to leverage Sanchez coming over and did whatever it took to get him. They failed and miserably because he is probably in the top 3-5 players in the league right now and his goal against us on the weekend highlighted how badly that decision came back to haunt us.

7.  You are right FSG appointed the wrong people, do you want to know why? Because they all believe the same thing. They and FSG think they can compete with the top 4 clubs DESPITE our wage bill being inferior and our NET spend being a whole lot smaller and that this moneyball theory, coupled with prudent spending will get us there. They are all horribly mistaken. So essentially what we have is Rodgers, a bunch of recruiters and a transfer committee all working on very demanding constraints with unrealistic expectations (achieving a top 4 finish).  Yet somehow you think that getting “better” recruiters will improve the situation. Hmmm…….

8.  The reason why you don’t want talk about NET spend is because it truly paints a picture of our owners and how much they are willing to invest into our players. Unfortunately when it is broken down an average of 25-27m per season won’t win you f**k all. How you expect miracles and decent players arriving on that paltry budget is beyond me?

9. Love your CEO metaphor, even though it makes no sense. Lallana, Balotelli and Lovren aren’t cheap because we were buying them on the premise to compensate for gaps in our squad. If you look at the players individually (not the position they play) none of them were going to improve our starting XI  but the reason we ended up buying them is because our board of directors and owners will not sanction buying players to what WE ACTUALLY NEEDED which in the end will improve our starting XI. So this was a compromise that we took, to "rebuild the squad" and make us all warm and fuzzy inside that we were spending the Suarez money.

10. If you think that we aren’t buying youth intentionally, have a look at the ages of every single player we have brought in since FSG took over and compare them. You will see a MASSIVE skew to buying players under 25yo. That policy is rubbish when you have to rebuild your starting XI, which we have never done and we continually sell our best players. Something which BTW Oakland never did with Beane. Moneyball + the reality of football = disaster!

10. Yes, it is FSG’s fault we ended up with Balotelli. We needed to go out and buy a world class striker that could have filled the massive gap Suarez left. Instead we purchased 20m buys that got us nowhere because the owners will never allow us to spend the actual money needed to really replace Suarez. Same thing happened with Tottenham last season. And that’s why our season inevitably imploded. I called it at the start of the season when I started seeing the players arriving and the money that we were spending on each one. I was right which is why Reg and Devaney wonder why they think I am a manic depressive?  :laugh:

11. Those are some pretty graphs you posted. Do you have one of our projected league finish this season? That's really the only one we care about.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

Eds, you're a gypsy fortune teller with the ability to see the future, I take my hat off mate. The bit your crystal balls consistently get wrong is that the primary concern of any business is to cover the overheads. LFC is not a social club and the Sterling episode puts us on the edge of the cliff whether we become a Man City / Chelsea style of club placing an even greater emphasis on the need to generate funds to cover spiralling costs. You cannot separate the business side from the football side. The better the players we buy and pay, the greater the urgency to grow the business side.

What you do with those funds is a different issue and that's where we're in agreement but don't shoot Metalhead for pointing out the obvious.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:19 am

Hahaha, yes I'm a secret American FSG agent scouring the forums promoting the goodwill of FSG with facts, evidence and DATA... :laugh:

1. our on field IS NOT ACCEPTABLE is not because of the OWNERS, capisci? it has nothing to do with the owners, they don't choose the team, put the tactics, coach the players and buy the players. They sanction deals by directives given to the transfer committee, IT IS UP TO THE COMMITTEE to spend the money wisely and do their jobs by buying correctly. Show me proof that FSG won't sanction a like for like replacement instead of rambling, we did want to replace Suarez with Sanchez didn't we? so your argument is fundamentally flawed for a ''clever'' fella like yourself. We also wanted to buy Costa a year before he went to Chelsea, but he rejected us and opted to stay in A.M.

2. No comment Mr.clever  :D

3. Of course it is, and no it's not a bonus, that's b^llocks. MAXIMIZING RETURNS is their main objective, a maximum ROE (Return on Equity), meaning they want to see this club winning trophies to maximize their money for themselves and for the club. To be honest, I couldn't care less if they don't have any affiliation or emotional attachment for the club, all I care is that they are the good custodians (which they are) by building a strong institution and showing commitment in the transfer window when it comes to buying players (which they already have), couldn't care less about their personal interest, why should you?

4. Stop putting words in my mouth, I never said both, Balotelli and Lallana are moneyball players, I said they are the opposite, but you kept rambling about underachieving and overachieving players, which the argument can be said the same about you. Now you're saying Balotelli was a panic buy, then how are you going to come here and tell me that it's FSG's fault for scouting Balotelli and forcing it on the committee to buy the player. You also don't know if Lallana and Lovren are undervalued or overvalued players, because the same thing applies to you, you don't work for the club and the committee probably valued Lovren at 15m but opted to buy him at 20m, the same way you can say he was valued at 25m and we opted to buy him at 20m. Lallana back in the summer was actually valued at 20m, we had a bid rejected at 20m and the club didn't want to go above that valuation until Lallana forced the move! So your statistical moneyball argument doesn't work in this scenario.

5. First of all, I'm refuting your argument on the ''cheap statistical'' by showing you that the wages doubled and are projected to increase every year because right now, Liverpool FC are more capable of releasing more wages. You also missed a very important comparison on who is the richest football club in England, here are the top 5:

1.Man Utd - 518m Eur in revenue
2.Man City - 414.4m Eur in revenue
3.Chelsea - 387.9m Eur in revenue
4.Arsenal - 359.3m Eur in revenue
5.Liverpool - 305.9m Eur in revenue

Eds: ''Oh oops, I missed that part, makes more sense now on why the wages are lower than the other top 4 clubs in England, more commercial success, more wages and with the resources the club has at its disposal we are doing well with the spending, but just on ***** players''  :eyebrow  :wwww

6. That's up to the manager and the people in negotiations to tempt Sanchez in coming here, do you remember Reina's story about how Rafa used to phone him everyday and used to ask him to tell Villereal to lower the asking price?

7. So why did we end up 2nd last year? Who got Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho in?

8. Image

Chelsea had a -0.8 net spend... NET SPEND last summer...

oommmmgggggg...... How is that even possible??!!! and they are sitting in first place :(

and if you look during the past 5 years, we had a net spend of 241m net spend, COMPARED TO THAT OF ARSENAL who had a net spend of 76m net spend. So your argument about how they are not BACKING the committee and the manager with money does not make sense when the EVIDENCE points the other direction.

9. Of course it makes sense, but you don't understand it well. The board of directors sanctioned the buys of Sanchez, Mkhatiryan and Costa.... again with this accusation.

10. The wrong players were bought because the recruitment didn't spend the money given to them wisely, it's clear as day that the money was there, if the commitee spent money on more Coutinhos and sturridges instead of Moreno and Markovic then we would have definitely be in the top 4 easily, and if we targeted our weaknesses instead of buying more midfielders we wouldn't be here in the first place. FSG don't choose who we buy, the committee does, they are the one in charge of recruitment. The sooner FSG drop the committee in the first place the better, or change those in charge with better scouts and in result we will recruit better and have better players on the field.

11. Why Thank you, if I see one of those you will be the first one to know  :hearts
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:24 am

Reg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:38 am wrote:Eds, you're a gypsy fortune teller with the ability to see the future, I take my hat off mate. The bit your crystal balls consistently get wrong is that the primary concern of any business is to cover the overheads. LFC is not a social club and the Sterling episode puts us on the edge of the cliff whether we become a Man City / Chelsea style of club placing an even greater emphasis on the need to generate funds to cover spiralling costs. You cannot separate the business side from the football side. The better the players we buy and pay, the greater the urgency to grow the business side.

What you do with those funds is a different issue and that's where we're in agreement but don't shoot Metalhead for pointing out the obvious.

But who cares if we crash and burn off the field, who cares if we as an organization are unstable and can't cover any sort of operating expense, then increase our financial risk by taking more loans while increasing our chances of financial distress... (sarcasm)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 pm

metalhead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:24 pm wrote:
Reg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:38 am wrote:Eds, you're a gypsy fortune teller with the ability to see the future, I take my hat off mate. The bit your crystal balls consistently get wrong is that the primary concern of any business is to cover the overheads. LFC is not a social club and the Sterling episode puts us on the edge of the cliff whether we become a Man City / Chelsea style of club placing an even greater emphasis on the need to generate funds to cover spiralling costs. You cannot separate the business side from the football side. The better the players we buy and pay, the greater the urgency to grow the business side.

But who cares if we crash and burn off the field, who cares if we as an organization are unstable and can't cover any sort of operating expense, then increase our financial risk by taking more loans while increasing our chances of financial distress... (sarcasm)

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Gosh I miss that fella Nimoy :down:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 pm

The problem is that you can't see that while we cover our "overheads" season in, season out we are always going to play catch-up to the top 4.

The underlying argument is that irrespective of Rodgers, the transfer committe or our scouting network we are clearly at a disadvantage to the other clubs. The "financial pacing" that you talk about is almost like Chelsea and Man City are at the precipice of crumbling and becoming bankrupt over night. Funny how this was being spouted about when the Russian took over 12 YEARS ago, but the scaremongering doesn't work any more seeing as how successful they have been since then and are still winning titles.

You lot seem to fixated on the fact that because we were almost run into the ground almost 4-5 years ago by our previous owners that we need to accept a model where conservative spending is the norm. Irrespecitve of the results it produces on the field.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby eds » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:51 am

metalhead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:19 am wrote:Hahaha, yes I'm a secret American FSG agent scouring the forums promoting the goodwill of FSG with facts, evidence and DATA... :laugh:

1. our on field IS NOT ACCEPTABLE is not because of the OWNERS, capisci? it has nothing to do with the owners, they don't choose the team, put the tactics, coach the players and buy the players. They sanction deals by directives given to the transfer committee, IT IS UP TO THE COMMITTEE to spend the money wisely and do their jobs by buying correctly. Show me proof that FSG won't sanction a like for like replacement instead of rambling, we did want to replace Suarez with Sanchez didn't we? so your argument is fundamentally flawed for a ''clever'' fella like yourself. We also wanted to buy Costa a year before he went to Chelsea, but he rejected us and opted to stay in A.M.

2. No comment Mr.clever  :D

3. Of course it is, and no it's not a bonus, that's b^llocks. MAXIMIZING RETURNS is their main objective, a maximum ROE (Return on Equity), meaning they want to see this club winning trophies to maximize their money for themselves and for the club. To be honest, I couldn't care less if they don't have any affiliation or emotional attachment for the club, all I care is that they are the good custodians (which they are) by building a strong institution and showing commitment in the transfer window when it comes to buying players (which they already have), couldn't care less about their personal interest, why should you?

4. Stop putting words in my mouth, I never said both, Balotelli and Lallana are moneyball players, I said they are the opposite, but you kept rambling about underachieving and overachieving players, which the argument can be said the same about you. Now you're saying Balotelli was a panic buy, then how are you going to come here and tell me that it's FSG's fault for scouting Balotelli and forcing it on the committee to buy the player. You also don't know if Lallana and Lovren are undervalued or overvalued players, because the same thing applies to you, you don't work for the club and the committee probably valued Lovren at 15m but opted to buy him at 20m, the same way you can say he was valued at 25m and we opted to buy him at 20m. Lallana back in the summer was actually valued at 20m, we had a bid rejected at 20m and the club didn't want to go above that valuation until Lallana forced the move! So your statistical moneyball argument doesn't work in this scenario.

5. First of all, I'm refuting your argument on the ''cheap statistical'' by showing you that the wages doubled and are projected to increase every year because right now, Liverpool FC are more capable of releasing more wages. You also missed a very important comparison on who is the richest football club in England, here are the top 5:

1.Man Utd - 518m Eur in revenue
2.Man City - 414.4m Eur in revenue
3.Chelsea - 387.9m Eur in revenue
4.Arsenal - 359.3m Eur in revenue
5.Liverpool - 305.9m Eur in revenue

Eds: ''Oh oops, I missed that part, makes more sense now on why the wages are lower than the other top 4 clubs in England, more commercial success, more wages and with the resources the club has at its disposal we are doing well with the spending, but just on ***** players''  :eyebrow  :wwww

6. That's up to the manager and the people in negotiations to tempt Sanchez in coming here, do you remember Reina's story about how Rafa used to phone him everyday and used to ask him to tell Villereal to lower the asking price?

7. So why did we end up 2nd last year? Who got Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho in?

8. Image

Chelsea had a -0.8 net spend... NET SPEND last summer...

oommmmgggggg...... How is that even possible??!!! and they are sitting in first place :(

and if you look during the past 5 years, we had a net spend of 241m net spend, COMPARED TO THAT OF ARSENAL who had a net spend of 76m net spend. So your argument about how they are not BACKING the committee and the manager with money does not make sense when the EVIDENCE points the other direction.

9. Of course it makes sense, but you don't understand it well. The board of directors sanctioned the buys of Sanchez, Mkhatiryan and Costa.... again with this accusation.

10. The wrong players were bought because the recruitment didn't spend the money given to them wisely, it's clear as day that the money was there, if the commitee spent money on more Coutinhos and sturridges instead of Moreno and Markovic then we would have definitely be in the top 4 easily, and if we targeted our weaknesses instead of buying more midfielders we wouldn't be here in the first place. FSG don't choose who we buy, the committee does, they are the one in charge of recruitment. The sooner FSG drop the committee in the first place the better, or change those in charge with better scouts and in result we will recruit better and have better players on the field.

11. Why Thank you, if I see one of those you will be the first one to know  :hearts

Ok here goes:

1. We never replaced Suarez with a like for like player. Suarez is probably in the top 3-5 players in the world and to have truly replaced him would have meant spending well above what our club's transfer records is, of 35m pounds with an adequate player. My point is that we will never see this under FSG and if you want evidence of this have a look at our highest spend on a single player throughout FSG's reign. It won't happen as they won't sanction it. That's the constraints that you fail to understand is crippling this club over the long term.

2. Yep, you don't understand sarcasm, we all get that. No need to keep harping on something when it's obvious you're too proud to accept you made a simple mistake.  :laugh:

3. So you think that they may "want to see this club win trophies" but in the long run will they be financially impacted if we don't? That's my whole point on the two not being mutually exclusive which you don't seem to understand. If they were to sell the club at the end of this season will they be making a profit out of us depite not winning a single major trophy under them? Or if we continue finishing just out of the top 4 will they still stand to make a profit with this model? When you answer that you will begin to understand why I couldn't care less about what they are doing. They are stablising us to be mid-table club because they have not or are not willing to invest on players (which cost money a lot more money than we have spent) to allow us to compete on an equal footing with the top 4 clubs.

4.   I don't know where this point is going. All I was saying was that I did not say Balotelli or Lallana were moneyball players. Personally I don't believe they were. But my main point is that neither of us actually know whether they were or weren't, simply because we don't have an insight into how they were purchased.

5. The original point I was making was that this club under FSG has a mandate to buy young players and cheap "statistical" fill-ins to cover the gaps. Outside of this there will be players that fit outside of this, like the ones you have mentioned because we have other requirements that simply don't work under this mandate. I'm not going to spend time explaining this as you should get what I mean by this (i.e Lallana home-grown, etc).  Back to my main point, when you look at all the players we have brought in under FSG you will see a skew towards investing in youth or plugging these gaps. Where does this mandate come from? Do you really think that Rodgers, the transfer committe or whoever else is behind our transfers is delibrately adhering to this strategy on their own accord?

You're insistance on the wage bill doubling does not prove anything about the owners. All it proves is that the trend since 2007 has been dictated by market conditions and what each club is generating in terms of revenue year by year. You are quick to praise FSG for all the work that they have done in raising our revenue, cancelling our debt and decreasing our costs since they took over but when you look at the mountain we still need to climb before we truly start competing with the top four there is so much more work that needs to go in terms of investment, primarily on our squad. FSG have done a good job so far but we are nowhere near we need to be yet.

6. Err yeah that's what I said........I don't know why you keep insisting that I said it's FSG's fault? It's not.

7. You will find that last year's 2nd placed finish was due to all our main players staying fit and Suarez and Sturridge having their best seasons up to date. You can't base last season's results on this club improving. If you were to show me a trend of us finishing in the top 4 continually over a few seasons, then I will happily eat my words and admit I was wrong on the owners. But as I said we won't finish in the top 4 this season and if we continue on this trejectory we won't anytime soon either.

8.  Your "evidence" is as shambolic as your basic comprehension skills. All you are doing is cherry picking facts and making up rubbish that doesn't paint a true picture of where this club is at. First of all Chelsea when they rebuilt their squad OVER 12 years ago spent a whooping +200m pounds NET SPEND on player transfers in their first two seasons alone. This set them up to win trophies and not have too spend as much season per season. Since then they have spent +300m NET SPEND in their next eight years. City is a similar story they spent over +300m NET SPEND in their first three season under the Sheiks. Now compare that to our owners and how much we have invested in NET SPEND on our players in their first few seasons. I don't know where you are getting this 241m NET SPEND because its actually closer to 130m NET SPEND since they took over. Show me this website you got saying we have a NET SPEND of 241m  :laugh: Now how exactly are we meant to compete with these other monster sides based on that FACTUAL INFORMATION?!?!

BTW Arsenal's net spend this last window was 65m compared to ours at 38m. See it's easy to cherry pick FACTS.

9. Good for them, once again not my point and deflecting from the main issue at hand (see point 8).

10.  No the money isn't there, as I have clearly pointed to the NET SPEND under FSG. You are expecting miracles and are deluded to think that we are going to catch-up to other sides if we continue under this model. You expect us to have a better "hit" rate on continually getting a Countiho / Sturridge with these limitations. Haha OK then.... Change the scouts, get rid of the manager, do whatever you want but when you look at the fact we will need to spend more than what we have, irrespective of who you get they won't be able to conduct miracles on the scale you are dreaming of.  :laugh:

eds

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 am

eds » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:55 am wrote:

The problem is that you can't see that while we cover our "overheads" season in, season out we are always going to play catch-up to the top 4.

The underlying argument is that irrespective of Rodgers, the transfer committe or our scouting network we are clearly at a disadvantage to the other clubs. The "financial pacing" that you talk about is almost like Chelsea and Man City are at the precipice of crumbling and becoming bankrupt over night. Funny how this was being spouted about when the Russian took over 12 YEARS ago, but the scaremongering doesn't work any more seeing as how successful they have been since then and are still winning titles.

You lot seem to fixated on the fact that because we were almost run into the ground almost 4-5 years ago by our previous owners that we need to accept a model where conservative spending is the norm. Irrespecitve of the results it produces on the field.

Eds, the dire need for the new owners after taking over from those Yankee fools was to get the club on a sound financial footing and it appears they've done that so all credit to them - we're solid going forward.

Now... where I don't feel comfortable is going to the next stage and splashing 200 million to buy your dream players to win the league. Rodgers and the committee simply aren't to be trusted with that money.

Bring in Mourinho and give him the same money and I'm with you, let's put all our chips in and spank the monkey however Rodgers... hmmm... So I'm with you, let's go for it but if I was FSG I'd be telling you to be patient as the club hasn't demonstrated they can be trusted with that kind of money and responsibility.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:10 am

Im not the biggest FSG fan in the world.  It frustrates me that we can't seem to spend big on fees or wages. 
It frustrates me even more when I hear that they demand the manager to achieve CL football. 
I also have doubts about their football knowledge... DOF, no DOF, transfer committee, signing players based on stats etc 
Its worrying that at least 4 players have not been happy with their contract offers or lack thereof. 

On a positive note though, they are much better than the previous owners.  We seem to be doing well off the field.
4 years or so as owners and we've won the Carling Cup, challenged for the title, played CL footie, FA Cup runners up and a chance of an another FA cup final this year. 

Basically, I'm on the fence  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:35 am

Losing Suarez was too much for us it seems as we coudlnt replace him.

Its plain to see Balotelli was never wanted by Brendan he denied we would ever buy him he rarely plays him the whole thing just look like it would never worked from the start.

If you want to know the problem with the current side it is they show no respect towards the fans or the history of this club and it doesnt seem like Brendan is the man to command respect ourt of this crop of players. Maybe it is because of his age but it seems like the players do what they want when they want if they dont feel like playing well one day they will just sit back. THe whole Raheem going on holiday was a joke.

The Anfield crowd, Who at the moment is one of the quietest in the PL, used to be a crowd that you dreamed of playing infront of. Could you imagine Alex Ferguson taking a 20 year old who has had what 1 good season not signing a very good contract and then playing him the next day.

Someone made a point is it BR has just taken us as far as he can and I think thats it. BR CV will look pretty with Finsihing 2nd in the Pl and possibly a Fa cup winners medal on it but apart from that he has managed teams that play nder less pressure and less expectations. Swansea, Watford and Reading.

I dont know who should be our next manager but whoever it is should be one who can motivate these players and be respected enough to know you dont ***** this club around. One thing is for certain for me Id want Carragher involved in the club and not in the sky studios. He is the apitamy of this club

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 am

LFC1990 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:35 pm wrote:It doesnt seem like Brendan is the man to command respect out of this crop of players.

Someone made a point is it BR has just taken us as far as he can and I think thats it.

I dont know who should be our next manager but whoever it is should be one who can motivate these players and be respected enough to know you dont ***** this club around. One thing is for certain for me Id want Carragher involved in the club and not in the sky studios. He is the apitamy of this club

Good points mate. I'm one of the 6 'undecided's in the Job too big for BR' thread as I said I'd give him 3 years. I hope that period's up soon.

Basis what I see today: BR has taken us as far as he can go  basis the current players. The committee have spent top dollar and produced an expanded (as we needed for CL) mediocre squad. Today we have NO stand out player and no natural leader.

The manger is too soft. Shanks didn't motivate Tommy Smith by being nice and they all replaced key players without blinking. BR doesn't have that leadership.

All is not lost for BR, he probably has one more season however he needs to Man Up, stop trying to be Sterling's feckin' dad and start to throw his weight around and kick some feckin' a$$. If he doesn't like Balo then go ask him to his face why he's so cr@p. Ask Kolo why he played like a cumt in front of his old club etc.. Shanks knife would hav ebeen in thoise lads' backs many weeks and months ago.

Key time for any up and coming young manager, wise up or you're out.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion