Title hopes - Big games

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lfcseb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Liverpool in my view must beat chelsea in the second game of the season to really stake their claim for the epl title. in previous years, the reason i think we have not gone really close, especially in the 2006 year when we finished 3rd, is becuase we have lost to the mancs and chelskis. these games are the crutial ones, this season we can't expect to do well if we dont do well against the big teams and especially [U] against chelsea in the second game. if we win this game it will give us the confidence to really challange for the league that has evaded us for so long!
thoughts?
lfcseb

Postby red_indian » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm

not sure i agree with that - its important as its so early on in the season and its at home but beyond that i figure we need to improve against the lesser sides - afterall that makes up 32 of the 38 league games (assuming everyone bar manure, chelsea and arsenal are the lesser sides) - thats 96 points to fight for. Manure and Chelsea have shown much better consistency in getting 3 points in those matches - imagine us getting 80-85 off them and then another 9 off the 18 against the bigger sides - that'd mean 89-94 points - we have to be aiming for that kind of total to be in with a chance
red_indian

Postby lfcseb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm

yeh but im sayin that if we had of beaten the man u and chlseas in the 2006 season we would have reached the 89 or so target, even if we still lost to the away.. we have to beat them at home mate
lfcseb

Postby benf » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Seb i agree with you but not aswell firstly because remember last year if we turned those matches that we drew and turned them into wins and beat your average teams like everton and newcastle etc. we would have been alot closer to second. However we need to draw or better with those teams, agreed? ???
benf

Postby benf » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:23 pm

O okay but still my comment stands
benf

Postby NansPanofScouse » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:58 pm

I really hate to say this but i think it will take a bulldozer of a performance to beat the Manc's this year. :(
NansPanofScouse

Postby heimdall » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:11 pm

NansPanofScouse wrote:I really hate to say this but i think it will take a bulldozer of a performance to beat the Manc's this year. :(

Disagree it is impossible to predict these games, we have beaten them in the middle of bad runs before and they have beaten us in the middle of our good runs. It's almost the same as the derby games with Everton.

However Chelsea is much more of a tactical battle and I think Rafa really has Moaniniho's number, just need to start getting the wins which I think we will be better able to do this season.
heimdall

Postby .:RedKuyt:. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:17 pm

wel win d title
.:RedKuyt:.

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:33 am

Thats nonsence. I believe we need to beat the lesser teams and get off to a cracker of a start. I know it can't be won in the first 10 games but it sure can be lost. Don't worry about the mancs and chelski til that day as with injuries etc you never know. We should expect to win all games at home and against the lesser teams with 80% away.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:43 am

lfcseb wrote:Liverpool in my view must beat chelsea in the second game of the season to really stake their claim for the epl title. in previous years, the reason i think we have not gone really close, especially in the 2006 year when we finished 3rd, is becuase we have lost to the mancs and chelskis. these games are the crutial ones, this season we can't expect to do well if we dont do well against the big teams and especially [U] against chelsea in the second game. if we win this game it will give us the confidence to really challange for the league that has evaded us for so long!
thoughts?

I think psychologically this game is very important. Rafa has made no bones about us going for the league this year and the team will believe that they can win it for sure when the season kicks off. If we can win or at least draw on a very good performance that belief will remain and grow....should we lose doubts will creep again and it might have a detrimental effect.
Of course the league is not lost after two games but I agree it is a pretty important match and one where we can really apply some pressure and send a message to our rivals.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfc4life83 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 am

hmm i duno if we can win the title we need to play the game the english way not spanish, we should settle for 2nd behing chelski or man u
lfc4life83

Postby lfcseb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:02 am

kewell2dominate.. i dont think people are gettin the point. if we are wanting to challange for the title, then the lesser teams should be beaten no bones about it. however to really be a contender we must no lose vital (and i emphasise that word vital) points to the top teams!!! we play 3 of the teams of the top teams in the first 10 games. and if lose them like we have been doing. then the title is already lost in my view!
lfcseb

Postby kunilson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:10 am

think i get what you're saying.....

but every game is worth 3 points in the end which is what i think others are trying to say. take Arsenal for example, last season they had a great record against the big 4, but couldn't turn up against lesser teams at times.
But yes the Chelsea game at the beginning of the season will be a great confidence boost if we can win that match...previous seasons we have started dodgy and couldn't get out of the rut, if we do the business against chelsea and take that confidence into the following games we're good to go....

just want a decent title challenge for more than the 1st half of the season. the chelsea game won't make or break that, but it would be a start...
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby harry_smiles » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:29 am

I think we need to win the first game convincingly for us to beat Chelsea. I really think we need to win be within 3 points of Chelsea and Man U after 10 games. We don't want to be playing catch up for the rest of the season.
harry_smiles

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion