Kop's morientes bid boosts owen exclusive

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:49 am

Here is a story from the mirror today.

MICHAEL OWEN may be offered a lifeline in Madrid thanks to Liverpool's interest in rival striker Fernando Morientes.

The Merseysiders are lining up a major bid for the Real hitman when the winter transfer window opens.

Owen's position as the country's No.1 striker alongside Wayne Rooney was confirmed yesterday when he led the line as England trained in a 4-4-2 formation.

And if Liverpool are able to tempt Morientes to Anfield, it would remove a major obstacle from Owen's path as he tries to force his way into the starting line-up at the Bernabeu.

Owen has been effectively dumped behind Morientes, Raul and Ronaldo as the fourth-choice striker.

He has yet to score and has started just two games for his new club, but if Morientes was allowed to leave, it would signal that the club is prepared to give Owen a chance.

Liverpool are desperate to sign another striker during the transfer window, and boss Rafael Benitez has admitted that Morientes was his No.1 target in the summer.

Oh plz, oh plz be true.

What a signing he would be, I would pay anything upto 15 million for this chap.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:56 am

:D Yer in a swap deal for Baros and put another obsticle in his way :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:55 am

saw the same story on some other sites, sounds promising and would add something to our game
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:20 am

Would love to see Morientes in a 'Pool shirt. Any mention of a price?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:21 am

I agree that Morientes would be a good asset to our team, but I`m not sure if this would make to big a difference to Owen in Madrid. He won`t be pitched much anyways.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:24 am

dont really care how signing Morientes would effect Owen, but if we are still in Europe in January Morientes wouldnt be able to play so couldnt afford to send Baros the other direction
Adebisi

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:30 am

I would love us to sign Morientes, I hope Beni pulls out the stops to get him :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redirish » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:16 pm

He would be a great signing for us but he is cup tied in europe till next season ???
redirish

Postby Adebisi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:44 pm

yeah he's a great player but if he's valued at £15m+ its quite a lot for a player who never really been a first team regular, (with the exception of his loan spell at Monaco), he's proven he can score goals in Europe OK but there's always a small chance he wouldnt be as prolific in the EPL...
But I'd be willing to give him a chance!
Adebisi

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:57 pm

I don't care if he's cup tied cos our priority is the EPL and getting into the CL next season, as long as we reach the second stage of the CL (for the money) then I'll be happy.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:30 pm

Agreed, Paul. We need to make at least the second stage of the CL, purely for the money it brings. We should not delude ourselves into thinking that we have a genuine chance of winning the CL. Nope, not with the present outlook with the current squad, especially with our away form.

The priority is to get as far as possible in the CL and still finish in the CL qualifying positions in the EPL so that we can be in the CL again next season.

Morrientes or whoever it is, we are in dire need of a striker who can cause problems for the opposition and score goals.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:34 pm

azriahmad wrote:Agreed, Paul. We need to make at least the second stage of the CL, purely for the money it brings. We should not delude ourselves into thinking that we have a genuine chance of winning the CL. Nope, not with the present outlook with the current squad, especially with our away form.

The priority is to get as far as possible in the CL and still finish in the CL qualifying positions in the EPL so that we can be in the CL again next season.

Morrientes or whoever it is, we are in dire need of a striker who can cause problems for the opposition and score goals.

isn't morientes cup-tied? ???

even if he is, he would be a superb purchase imo. don't know how baros would feel though. he'd probably just start shouting his mouth off again about how he wants to leave.

agree though. getting through the group is the main perogative and i think we will. i generally think that our home form is good enough to guarantee that. anything after that is a bonus because defensively, we are nowhere near good enough. :(

p.s. got me tickets for the deportivo game today and can't wait. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby spud » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:44 pm

How old is Morientes?
spud

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:44 pm

What a signing he would be, and St Mick, For me a signing like that would signify to me that Baros should work harder and fight for his place, and if he can prove himself then he can start, instead of complaining about it.

spud he is 28.

Last edited by LFC #1 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:19 am

just read this on lfc.tv

Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes has revealed his desire to sign for Liverpool when the transfer window reopens in January. 
The 28-year old Spaniard has been linked with a move to Anfield since the summer and his latest comments will no doubt heighten the speculation.

"Liverpool could be a great option for January," says Morientes. "I have always liked the Premier League and I know Rafa Benitez was interested in me when he was at Valencia.

"My situation at Real Madrid is not pleasant. The return to form of Owen can be excellent for Real, but it is also a new problem for me.

"If things continue like this I will have to think about leaving. I am tired of sitting on the bench.

"Liverpool is a club where any player would be happy to play. It is a club with a history of having great supporters, a good coach and now Spanish players."

It's no secret that Rafael Benitez was keen to sign Morientes as part of the deal that took Michael Owen to the Bernebau in August.

But the Reds boss has refused to be drawn on the subject other than saying: "When a player of the quality of Morientes talks about your club, then that has to be good.

"I really can't say any more than the fact that Fernando is a very good player... but I guess I know what the headlines will be!"

let's hope we sign him in January, what a addition he would be.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion