Carragher hopes for new striker - Bbc

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher hopes a good run in the Champions League will pay for a new striker in January.
Striker Djibril Cisse is out for the rest of the season with the broken leg he sustained on Saturday.

"It is important we now qualify for the next stage of the Champions League, we need to do something to bring in cover for Cisse," said Carragher.

"If we do qualify it will help us strengthen the squad when the transfer window comes around in January."

Qualifying from their group will be worth up to £10m for Liverpool, who have been linked with Real Zaragoza striker David Villa and Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes.

The 26-year-old Carragher was superb as Liverpool beat Deportivo la Coruna 1-0 in Spain on Wednesday.

And he said it was an important victory for his team.

"Deportivo have proved over the years what a good side they are - they reached the semi-finals last season to underline that," he added.

"But that is a credit to us because we restricted them to very few chances and deserved to win it.

I owe Liverpool a big debt for sticking by me

Chris Kirkland 

"The whole team looked solid and the manager is big on making sure we realise it is a team game and that individuals are not important and you could see that on the pitch."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Chris Kirkland, who was knocked out during the game by team-mate Igor Biscan, is hopeful of a long run in the team after returning to fitness.

Kirkland's Anfield career has been plagued by a succession of injuries but he said: "It's great because I have been injury-free for a while.

"Everyone knows I have had a tough time these past couple of years so I am just looking forward to a good run in the side.

"If an England call is down the line because I am fit now and playing, well that's something for others to decide.

"But I owe Liverpool a big debt for sticking by me and the most important thing for me is to play games for the club and pay them back for that support
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion