LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Match thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 am

I honestly expect Rafa to put Stevie G into a very attacking role Vs. Wigan, probably similar to what he does when he plays him in behind Nando but with probably a bit more attacking freedom.

The defensive positions pick themselves really, but I expect the rest of the team'll be something like:

Alonso/Masha*

Kuyt     Lucas/Alonso*   Riera

Gerrard

Keane

There's no real need for both Alonso and Masha at home to wigan but I would expect that Rafa may go with both so that he can push Gerrard further up the pitch and have Xabi in the centre trying to pick Wigan apart with his passing.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:11 pm

---------------------------Pepe---------------------

--Arbeloa---------Carra----------------Agger------Aurelio

------------------Mash----------------Xabi-------------

Kuyt-----------------------Gerrard---------------Reira

---------------------------Keane------------------------

Subs

Caverli
Sami
Dossena
Lucas
Yossi
Pennant/El Zhar
Nemeth/Pacheco/Ngog
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. 08 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:47 pm

Id take a 1-0 win at this point considering the injury situation. I expect a difficult encounter with Fat Bruce and his side, not a lot of space for us to break them down.
A.B. 08

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:20 pm

GYBS wrote:---------------------------Pepe---------------------

--Arbeloa---------Carra----------------Agger------Aurelio

------------------Mash----------------Xabi-------------

Kuyt-----------------------Gerrard---------------Reira

---------------------------Keane------------------------

Subs

Caverli
Sami
Dossena
Lucas
Yossi
Pennant/El Zhar
Nemeth/Pacheco/Ngog

I think we will probably have to go with something like this.

My main problem without Torres is we have a real lack of pace up front. At least by moving Gerrard further forward we get some pace.

If Masch is not fit I would be looking to maybe Lucas or Benayoun to fill the gap.

Sounds like Masch and Lucas won't be fit while Babel may be!

Reds sweat on Javier Mascherano and Lucas Leiva - Liverpool FC latest
Oct 17 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ'S post international hangover worsened today with both Javier Mascherano and Lucas Leiva struggling to be ready for tomorrow's visit of Wigan.

Mascherano and Lucas have been on international duty in South America with Argentina and Brazil and are not due to get back to Merseyside until tonight after gruelling trans-Atlantic flights.

With Fernando Torres already having been ruled out of the meeting with Steve Bruce's side through a hamstring injury picked up playing for Spain in midweek, it would be a massive blow to the Reds boss if he also had to do without the services of two central midfielders.

Benitez is particularly concerned about Mascherano's condition as the 24-year-old suffered a calf injury shortly after returning from his last spell of international duty and was out for a fortnight.

Although Mascherano picked up that problem playing for Liverpool, Benitez believes the fatigue of traveling thousands of miles to play for his country was a contributory factor and will assess his fitness before deciding whether or not he is in a good enough condition to face the Latics.

Ryan Babel has an outside chance of being involved  despite picking up a sprained ankle playing for Holland but Torres may not figure for the Reds for the next fortnight.

Liverpool's top scorer will now miss out on making a playing return to the Vicente Calderon Stadium against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday.

But Atletico president Enrique Cerezo is so keen to see one of Atletico's favourite sons back at the Calderon he has invited Torres to attend the game as his VIP guest.

Cerezo said: "We will invite him to the VIP box seat to watch the game because Atlético is his home"

Meanwhile, Liverpool are not about to launch a bid for Emile Heskey, despite speculation that the Wigan man is a target for Rafa Benitez.

The Reds boss is a long-time admirer of the 30-year-old striker but the signing of Albert Riera took Liverpool's transfer budget into the red and outgoing transfers are much more likely than incomings in the current financial climate. 

Benitez had tried to balance the books by selling Jermaine Pennant to Blackburn but that was scuppered when the winger declined the move.

So unless there is a cash injection from club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett the chances of Liverpool signing players – even on free transfers – are remote.

tonybarrett@liverpoolecho.co.uk
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby lewerty » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:45 pm

looks like mach and lucus might not play
lewerty

Postby GYBS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm

Instead of masher, maybe plessis alongside xabi or  bring in ngog up front with keane
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I was hugely impressed by Pacheco in pre-season, and while he may not be physically ready for the first team, he looks like a player that can play "between the lines" and create opportunities for others. Maybe too soon in truth, but I would prefer a gamble on him if our stars arn't fit rather than Pennant or indeed Ngog.
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Is Aurelio fit?
JoeTerp

Postby kunilson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Is Aurelio fit?

is he ever fit?
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:They are not as poor a side as stoke and i thought we leart our lesson from being complacent in that game?

Don't know what game you were watching but I certainly wouldn't say the players were complacent.

Lacking in enough quality to break Stoke down maybe in certain area's but definately not complacent.

We expected to just show up and get the 3 points , the same stoke played against chelsea the following week and look at the result , and yes we had chances to finish off the game but unfortunately apart from the first legit goal , the whole team forgot thier scoring boots
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Would play a team like this .

Reina

Arbeloa    Carragher    Agger     Dossena

Masch/Lucas       Alonso
Kuyt                                      Riera
                       Gerrard

Keane

I think rafa might play 2 holding players to cope with the pace of valencia and palcios , not having torres is a huge blow but i am sure that keane can step up and score a brace . Come on you red men !!
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:02 pm

If masch is fit tommorow, Then I'm going to see kuyt playing on the right tommorow, with gerrard being the 2nd striker. I think it will be a mistake, I hope Gerrard and alonso play in the midfield, put pennant on the right and play kuyt and keane as strikers.

I reckon a 1-0 or 2-0 win
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Just a win will do me - Bruce's record at Anfield speaks for itself.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:22 am

.........................Riena.........................

Arbeloa....Carragher.....Agger.......Dossena

Kuyt....Alonso...Mascherano/Gerrard/Lucas.....Riera

.................Gerrard/Pachecho.......................

.......................Keane........................

All depends on how Mascherano is when we get him back
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:16 am

1-0 to the Reds.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<