Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm

For me it has to be:

Reina

Arbeloa         Carragher         Agger           Dossena

Kuyt               Alonso          Gerrard           Riera

Keane
                                Torres

This won't be a walkover, Bruce does have a decent record against us and any win will do for me.  I've seen a bit of Wigan this season and they do pose a threat up front and on the break.  I do worry what Rafa's team selection will be because he's bound to be tempted to tinker with Athletico and Chelsea coming up.
Last edited by JC_81 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:23 pm

You never know what we`ll be like after an international break. Any win will do, keep the presure on the rest.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Jimmy the Weasel wrote:Solid as Wigan might be, I still expect them to park the bus.

I'd like to see a confident start converted into a goal or twos cushion for once. Be nice not to have to go behind before we start playing!

Amen.

I don't believe this match will be as easy as some believe/hope for. But I think Liverpool need to start doing something about the goal gap between themselves and Chelsea and the lower quality teams can offer that opportunity.

"Joint Top" is still second place at the end of the season.
tonyeh

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 am

we should have a welcome to wigan thread again

what say you?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:16 pm

GYBS wrote:as long as we win dont care about the score.

While 5-0 may be a tad optimistic, given Bruce has been a pain in the rear in the past and has shaped a decent Wigan side, we need to knock some goals in sometime. We didn't score against Stoke, Wigan are better but if we don't score goals then we may as well start a point worse off than rivals.

Goalscoring has long been our problem, we don't manage to average 2 goals a game most seasons and that despite winning some games 4-0, 5-0 and better. More freescoring means less likelihood of a draw, there's plenty of benefit to a tight defence, but I'd rather we scored more and let in a few more than struggle to score
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Lee J wrote:5-0 no less.

no excuses, we need to stuff them.

They are not as poor a side as stoke and i thought we leart our lesson from being complacent in that game?

we actually beat stoke legit, but unfortunately the ref forgot his glasses on that day.

that decision probably set the tone for lfc for the rest of the match, there was no complacency
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Toffeehater wrote:They are not as poor a side as stoke and i thought we leart our lesson from being complacent in that game?

Don't know what game you were watching but I certainly wouldn't say the players were complacent.

Lacking in enough quality to break Stoke down maybe in certain area's but definately not complacent.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Too many Draws killed us last season . Wigan are no pushovers , hopefully we go into this game with the right mentality as we are usually poor after internationals .Hope Keane and torres bring their scoring boots , as we need to make up the goal difference , would like a 3-0 but would equally be pleased with a 1-0 win as well .

you say wigan are no pushovers, but we need to make sure they are! we at home ffs & the team need to maintain the creative side of our game so far this season that"s really impressed me even when we have gone behind in games so far. let"s just concentrate on what our strenghts are & forget what the oppo have! i"d love to see a few goals on sat which i believe we are more than capable of against a side like wigan, however 3 points is what we need & the players mentality must be focused on that alone to achieve this which i"m confident will be the case!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:27 pm

with the welcome to wigan thread, i reckon the omens are on our side, and we will beat wigan 3-0
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:05 pm

re goalscoring. I've yet to complete the stats, but preliminary findings show that in sixteen Premiership seasons the Champions have finished in the top two goalscoring sides in all but one season - then they finished third. The Champions' defence has become more of a factor recently, the Champions having one of the best two defences in the league in the past EIGHT seasons in a row, but before then the Champions could be as far down the list as SEVENTH meanest.

What does it prove? Well historically the Champions have rarely had more than one team outscore them, this is our achilles heel which is the part of the stats I need to compile for comparison. Assuming we're not going to beat Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal by 3-0 or better very often, we need to start putting goals past the rest. As I recall the least goals scored by the Premiership Champions in any season was 67 :-

Liverpool Goalscoring In The Premiership

07/08 67 (4th)
06/07 57
05/06 57
04/05 52
03/04 55
02/03 61
01/02 67 (2nd)
00/01 71 (3rd)
99/00 51
98/99 68 (7th)

Only four times have we managed 67+ goals in the past TEN seasons, I believe the lowest total by Champions was by some distance the worst - all the way back to 92/93, Liverpool managed 63 that season and finished sixth. Not forgetting that then the Premiership was 42 games which makes the 67 even more poor - that and villa finishing second. Defending Champions Leeds Utd finished 17th, just three places above the drop zone. Some may say them borrowing £60m was their biggest mistake of recent times, I'd pencil in selling Cantona to the mancs as being equally stupid and even less to gain (less than £2m)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sparkycc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:45 am

torres and babel are out so i think we will go with something like this

reina

arebola           carra        agger      dossena

kuyt      gerrard       mash      alonso    reira 

keane   
subs hypia,benny,pennent,lucas,nnog,carvalio   
:nod
sparkycc

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:07 am

No reason to play Alonso and Mash against Wigan at home but Rafa probably will anyway.

Reina

Arbeloa    Carra   Agger    Dossena

Alonso
Kuyt                              Riera
                       Gerrard
     Ngog
                  Keane
Rockthekop

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:14 am

i don't think we need to go 5 in midfield against wigan something like this should get the job done

if gerrard plays on the right then kuyt goes up front and keane sits in behind or kuyt goes on the wing and kean goes up front with gerrard sitting in behind

reina
arebola        carra         agger      dossena/alralio

kuyt/gerrard     alonso      mash        reira

gerrard/keane

keane/kuyt
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 am

id go for

reina

Arebola             Carra       Hyypia      Aurelio/Agger

Pennant           Gerrard      Alonso       Riera 

Keane        Kuyt

------------

clearly our strongest starting 11 with the players missing ... maybe bring in mascherano but then ud have to mess around with the other positions a bit... give pennant a chance its about time imo.... now or never
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 am

aCe' wrote:id go for

reina

Arebola             Carra       Hyypia      Aurelio/Agger

Pennant           Gerrard      Alonso       Riera 

Keane        Kuyt

------------

clearly our strongest starting 11 with the players missing ... maybe bring in mascherano but then ud have to mess around with the other positions a bit... give pennant a chance its about time imo.... now or never

That looks just about the best line-up we could put on the pitch for this one.  I think Agger must play, of course, and I just don't see Rafa sticking him at LB so Sami will make way.  Masch on the bench for this one as Wigan, like Stoke, will come looking to park the bus.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion