LIVERPOOL vs CHELSEA - CL SEMI-FINAL 2ND LEG, BABY!!!!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dward » Wed May 02, 2007 7:40 am

Sorry if this has already been said, but...

DID THAT ONE CROSS THE LINE JOSE?

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:43 am

From the Telegraph, written by Henry Winter.

Liverpool (1) 1 Chelsea (0) 0
Agg: 1-1, Liverpool win 4-1 on pens

Be careful what you wish for: Jose Mourinho had been moaning about never receiving penalties and his Chelsea team were put painfully on the spot at a crowing Anfield last night. Arjen Robben and Geremi both missed in the shoot-out, denied by the brilliance of Pepe Reina, and Liverpool were off, laughing and dancing, singing and shouting, to Athens for the May 23 final of the European Cup.

Athens bound: Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina
“In ancient Greece, we’ll win it six times,” chorused the Kop, before reminding Mourinho that talk is cheap, European trophies are real riches. “Some Teams Make Headlines – Others Make History,” read one banner. And the real special ones make really special saves.

Reina seems to come most to life when the ball goes dead. In years to come, Liverpool school art-classes will feature tableaux of the remarkable shoot-out, fabled images of Reina flinging himself this way and that, echoing past European feats of Bruce Grobbelaar and Jerzy Dudek.

Chelsea’s spirit subsided, like a rapidly deflating balloon, crushed by the reflexes of Reina. The Spaniard was a feared stopper of penalties during his time at Villarreal, and most famously in last season’s FA Cup final, where he broke West Ham’s hearts.

Yet Chelsea had Petr Cech in goal, and respected penalty-takers throughout their line-up. Maybe this was where Liverpool’s 12th man, the fans, came into play; even though the shoot-out was down the Anfield Road End, close to the away support, the noise was still deafening. Bolo Zenden tucked away Liverpool’s first against his old club, and then Reina saved magnificently from Robben. When Xabi Alonso drilled home Liverpool’s second, the force was really with Rafa Benitez’s side.

Up stepped Frank Lampard to restore Chelsea’s hope, slamming his kick past Reina. From one England midfielder to another, Steve Gerrard calmly guiding his to Cech’s left. With whistles of derision ringing in Geremi’s ears, Chelsea’s next taker badly fluffed, again denied by the agile Reina. How fitting that Dirk Kuyt should apply the coup de grace, having embodied Liverpool’s endeavour throughout 120 minutes, and even been thwarted by the bar and an errant linesman’s flag.

Kuyt triggered amazing scenes, all the Liverpool players hugging each other, except for Carragher, who set a new speed record in racing towards the Kop, a smile the width of the Mersey creasing his face. As Kuyt’s ball nestled in the back of Cech’s net, a guttural roar ripped through Anfield. Imagine the Carragher family impersonating Beatlemania at a Christmas party and that was the loud, proud sound seizing this famous old ground. How they revelled in Chelsea’s demise, and Mourinho’s hubris.

Liverpool, celebrating their 10th successful shoot-out out of 11 in their history, deserved victory. Carragher was immense. Steven Gerrard worked tirelessly in midfield, his example inspiring Zenden and Javier Mascherano to displays of sustained excellence. Chelsea, so full of talent, were disappointing. Didier Drogba was isolated in attack, and rarely looked like troubling Carragher or Daniel Agger, whose fine goal had forced extra time.

Even before Agger’s spectacular intervention after 21 minutes, a spiky local reception committee had been ready and waiting for Chelsea. Carragher’s oratory adorned the blood-red programme.Liverpool’s wry centre-half also informed the “Echo” that “Mourinho is the funniest thing to come out of London since Del Boy and Rodney”. Clearly, this was never going to be a jolly boys’ outing for Mourinho’s men.

Liverpool tore into Chelsea, even Zenden sliding in hard on Salomon Kalou. After the anaemic first meeting, this was far more full-blooded affair. Rugby great Martin Johnson looked on, marvelling at the commitment and high-speed collisions of Gerrard and John Terry, Carragher and Drogba. Gerrard flattened Terry, a sight to send palpitations racing through England’s head coach, Steve McClaren, squeezed into a front-row perch in the press box.

Benitez’s side lacked for nothing in determination, as John Obi Mikel discovered when a rash decision to dawdle in possession was ended by an express train from Huyton called Gerrard. Liverpool’s captain was everywhere, soon winning a slightly soft free-kick when Joe Cole mistimed a challenge. Seeing the tackle coming in, Gerrard played for the dead-ball, which proved richly rewarding. Everyone expected a free-kick to the far post, looking for the towering Peter Crouch. Chelsea were certainly caught out as Gerrard rolled the ball to the edge of the area. Here was a goal made in Melwood. Kuyt leant into Salomon Kalou, and Agger had clear water.

Timing his run perfectly, meeting the ball sweetly, Agger sent it racing left-footed past Cech. Level on aggregate, Carragher and his footballing family had to beware the away goal. When Drogba stole a yard on Agger just after the half-hour, the Kop feared the worst. But Reina stood firm, and blocked Drogba’s hard shot. Relief rolled down from the terraces. Having given everything in normal time, Liverpool needed the 12th man of their support, and the inspiring rhetoric of Benitez, who walked amongst them, coaxing and cajoling, as they awaited the additional call to arms. And again before the shoot-out. Benitez’s words, and Reina’s safe hands, guided Liverpool to Athens.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Wed May 02, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Judge » Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 am

a beautiful chelsea dagger from agger :)

then history unfolds before your eyes - brilliant
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Wed May 02, 2007 7:57 am

“In ancient Greece, we’ll win it six times,” chorused the Kop, before reminding Mourinho that talk is cheap, European trophies are real riches. “Some Teams Make Headlines – Others Make History,” read one banner. And the real special ones make really special saves.
  :bowdown

Liverpool’s wry centre-half also informed the “Echo” that “Mourinho is the funniest thing to come out of London since Del Boy and Rodney”.
  :bowdown  lmao
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby MAN7 » Wed May 02, 2007 8:02 am

dward wrote:WELCOME IN ATHENS BROTHERS .
CONGRATULATIONS FROM ME AND FROM OLYMPIAKOS PIRAEUS FANS (GATE 7 )
(96+21) YOU ARE ALWAYS ON MY MIND)

DID THAT ONE CROSS THE LINE JOSE?

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock

WELCOME IN ATHENS BROTHERS CONGATULATIONS FROM ME AND FROM OLYMPIAKOS PIRAEUS FANS (GATE 7)
96+21 YOU ARE ALWAYS ON MY MIND
MAN7

Postby Red @ Heart » Wed May 02, 2007 8:03 am

this is the funniest ever, read how the topic starts and watch how abrubtly it ends pmsl omg i am crying here.

http://www.chelseachat.co.uk/viewtop....25afe83
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed May 02, 2007 8:05 am

Where to begin, that was phenomenal even though at times I felt I couldn't watch. We won that and deserved to despite Mouthinho's usual bitter remarks after the match to the contrary.

And did anyone else notice that before Agger scored Chelsea were fouling, feigning injury and generally time wasting, and the second Agger scored all that amazingly ceased? And their players were sooooooooooo lucky to escape yellow cards, most for fouls and Drogba complained about EVERY decision that went against him so could quite easily have been booked for persistent dissent like players get booked for persistent fouls rather than very bad fouls.

Anyway what a tense but cracking game. Should have won it in extra time, I reckon Kuyt was onside but it wasn't given. Still we comprehensively showed them how penalties should be taken. Interestingly not one striker scored in either game, 90 minutes or extra time, and not until Kuyt slotted home the 7th penalty did a striker even take a penalty. I was a bit disappointed with some of our play, hoof up to Crouch who top sides deny time and space and so he was dispossessed way too easily. That has to be the end of Crouch, we'd be better playing football shorter and to feet. He could and maybe should have done better with two headers, one of which should have been better directed than straight at Cech.

Talking of Cech, how is he the 'best goalkeeper in the world' ? Everything bounced back of him, he barely managed to save a header from Crouch straight at him and did he look like saving a penalty in the shoot-out?

Mascherano was phenomenal in midfield although he and others had a nasty habit of winning the ball and then giving it away. Again the two wide players were disappointing, Pennant was too lazy and static and sometimes he threw himself embarrassingly at the tackle trying to win the ball and was just easily by-passed. I wonder how Zenden ever gets on the pitch, laughable crosses most of the time and apart from one shot, some good defensive work and one decent cross I can bring to mind he didn't do much until the shoot-out.

The defence kept the three strikers quiet and took care of most serious threats, Reina did what had to be done and if he hadn't had so little to do in 120 minutes I might call for him to be MOTM. And what a finish by Agger, reminds me of a Sami Hyypia goal against Juve was it? Sami's was closer but left footed and from that side of the area if I recall correctly. Both not what you'd expect from a centre back, that's Agger's fourth goal this season and he could easily be Hyypia and then some. He and Carra have to step up and make it beyond question that they are the best CB pairing in the Premiership. Quite how the scum got the entire back five and indeed eight in the team of the season is a travesty more than mystery.

Owzat Ratings

Reina 8/10 - did what had to be done in the 120 minutes which wasn't a lot. He was exceptional in the shootout, would be MOTM if Chelsea had worked him a little harder throughout

Finnan 7/10 - was a little quiet going forward and was probably a better chance of a good cross than Pennant. Could have been a little better defensively but did have a hard task which he dealt with competently

Carragher 8/10 - typically solid Carra performance

Agger 9/10 - great finish from a clever free-kick (how many Chelsea free-kicks are remotely clever?) Bounced back from last week defensively, he and Carra could be the best CB pairing for years to come

Riise 8/10 - better defensively than he has been and still managed to get forward. His work-rate was phenomenal

Pennant 5/10 - very disappointing at times, threw himself into tackles but I don't recall him getting close to winning them but his movement was often non-existent

Gerrard 8/10 - typical Gerrard game. Sometimes I cringe when he trys forcing passes wide and forward with some inaccuracy, but his clever little feed of Agger and other subtle carresses showed why he's better than Lampard. Some neutrals don't notice his work-rate

Mascherano 9/10 - I think he takes MOTM, got all over the pitch and stopped so many Chelsea moves. Passing wasn't always the best but I think Rafa's decision to include him over Alonso paid off. Not conceding was key and I think Mascherano made the defence's life easy

Zenden 5/10 - worked hard but showed little quality in his crossing or distribution. Scored in the shoot-out which was probably his best contribution by far. Did have a half decent shot on goal and one half decent cross to go with some good defensive work

Crouch 4/10 - the defence had him worked out and took the ball off him too often. Add that to his usual load of fouls conceded and you have to look to his efforts on goal. Did he have more than one header wide albeit under pressure from the defender and a header straight at Cech?

Kuyt 8/10 - worked hard, had a good goal disallowed and scored the penalty that saw us through. If we can get him a quality partner I reckon he could get some more of the goals he hasn't been getting. Fowler nearly set him up so his late introduction and short time on the pitch nearly saw his third assist in three appearances.

SUBS :-

Alonso 7/10 - came on and was steady in midfield, his effort from long range was what Cech spilled to give Kuyt the goal that should have been allowed. Scored in the shoot-out

Bellamy 5/10 - if he did anything worth mentioning I don't recall it. Anyone help me out? I think we'd started hitting long balls forward so his chances of making an impact were always going to be limited

Fowler 6/10 - set up Kuyt with arguably the best chance of the game bar Kuyt's disallowed effort but only got a few minutes so for what he did in the time he did it could arguably merit a 9/10. He came on to take part in the shoot-out, would have taken either the fifth or sixth had it gone to sudden death
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FRfanatic » Wed May 02, 2007 8:14 am

Needed to say just this;

The crowd was amazing and they really owe some credit for getting LFC to the final.

For anyone out there; my deepest respect
:bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown
FRfanatic

Postby Owzat » Wed May 02, 2007 8:17 am

Red wrote:this is the funniest ever, read how the topic starts and watch how abrubtly it ends pmsl omg i am crying here.

http://www.chelseachat.co.uk/viewtop....25afe83

It's not funny, it's tragic. This thread is over 75 pages long and that's like one page! Even if only eight of us were discussing it there'd be at least 10 pages. They're pathetic, we should laugh at them we should be sympathetic to their sad little thread.

What is funny is the argument about how they should go through, they needed a pessimist to lead them out of the competition with a touch of reality.

Oh by the way folks, depending how much you value Cashley at their team was worth over £120m compared to our starting XI of around £45m

Liverpool £43.6m - Reina £6m, Finnan £3.5m, Agger £5.8m, Riise £4.6m, Pennant £6.7m, Mascherano?, Kuyt £10m, Crouch £7m

Chelsea £123.2m - Cech £7m, Ferreira £13.2m, Essien £24.4m, A.Cole? (called it £5m), Mikel £12m, Makalele £16.6m, Lampard £11m, Kalou £3m, Drogba £24m, J.Cole £7m

Nearly THREE times more expensive got totally outclassed. For the amount they spent on some of the players you'd expect them to be able to tuck away penalties (Robben £12m, Geremi £7m)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 02, 2007 8:18 am

FRfanatic wrote:Needed to say just this;

The crowd was amazing and they really owe some credit for getting LFC to the final.

For anyone out there; my deepest respect
:bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown

And let all fans come back safe and sound this time.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Wed May 02, 2007 8:20 am

yeah i was thinking how there page was only 1 page long lmao, and it shows that there supprot for there team is abysmal, very sad really.

but it is still funny how the guy said effing devistated at the end lmao.
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Red @ Heart » Wed May 02, 2007 8:46 am

pezzodefero wrote:i'm AS ROMA fan,i have two tickets for the 2007 final..(official uefa lottery ) ,i sell my ticket , contact me to my mail, [email=smilegab@NOSPAMyahoo.it...]smilegab@NOSPAMyahoo.it...[/email]
ciao gabriele

oops dont ask for more than face value on this site mate not good here at all
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Wed May 02, 2007 8:47 am

[quote="Owzat"][/quote]
For all those who call fat fwank world class, last night was another example of him missing when it counts. Other than a good shot he has nothing to offer, no pace, no strength, very little vision and awareness.

Owzat, c'mon man we weren't the ones playing long ball, it was them, they knew they could not get through our midfield so decided to to bypass it. I am usually not impressed by Pennant, but last night he kept Cashley quiet for most of the game, and kept them pegged back, crossed ok, and was tenacious.

Mascherano, was fantastic, and Kuyts effort was inspiring, just wonder whether that can take the edge off him infront of goal.

Carra is the smartest footballer around, he makes sure the ref knows whats going on, plays players off the ball, keeps the team on their toes.

Even before the goal, didn't you all think that Agger was well up for it, he looked really determined, young lad, will get even better.

But above all, thanks Rafa, no one including maureen thought that free kick was going to be rolled, well set up with Kuyt's 'Run!' taking the players away.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Wed May 02, 2007 8:51 am

I arrived back from a party at 5 this morning and now i gotta go to work, my head is opening and my mouth is dry but i dont care because.....

WE ARE GOING TO ATHENS
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 am

Daily Mirror

BITTER JOSE BOTTOM OF THE CLASS
Oliver Holt Chief Sports Writer 02/05/2007

JOSE MOURINHO blamed injuries. He blamed bad luck. He blamed penalties.

He blamed Liverpool for defending too much. He blamed Rafa Benitez for concentrating on the Champions League.

He blamed Chelsea for not scoring enough goals in the first leg and made it sound as if that was Liverpool's fault, too.

He mentioned several times, as casually as he could, that he had won the European Cup.

But he said most generously that that did not stop him feeling the pain of his shattered players, most of whom had not won it.

And when he was asked if he wished Liverpool luck for the final, he said, no.

He had too much respect for whoever their opponent would be to do something like that, he said.

Gracious in defeat Mourinho was not. Not even close. Not that we expected him to be. Not even he could claim this time that Liverpool had not scored as Daniel Agger's clipped shot bulged the back of the net.

But he did everything he could to convey the idea that Chelsea had been cheated of their divine right to appear in the final.

His attitude did a disservice to his players who had run like demons and fought like tigers.

John Terry was magnificent at the heart of defence, Didier Drogba ran until he dropped, Frank Lampard showed the nerve and style of a class act.

But just like he did two years ago, Mourinho tried to start the process of cheating history.

He tried to deny the winners their due. But if he thought his stance would take attention away from a season that is lurching towards failure, he was wrong.

By anyone else's standards, Chelsea have had another stellar year, vying for four trophies until late into April. But the team that cost hundreds of millions is staring blankly at the apocalyptic scenario of clinging only to the Carling Cup for solace.

Since peace was declared between Mourinho and the Chelsea board, the club's season has fallen apart.

Outlasted by Manchester United in the Premiership, they have been knocked out of the Champions League by Mourinho's most-hated domestic rival.

And though Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has pledged Mourinho will not be sacked, we do not know whether Roman Abramovich feels the same.

It seemed strange Abramovich was not at Anfield. His absence suggests his passion for the club is not quite what it was. Or certainly, that his enthusiasm for his manager is not what it was. He will not be happy with his return from this season.

And nor will he be thrilled at Chelsea's lack of panache. Once again, they were solid and relentless but never did they threaten to take the game to Liverpool.

Mourinho insisted they showed ambition, that they were the team trying to win, but that perception was shared by few of those within Anfield.

But if Liverpool could point to inspired performances from half of their side, Chelsea could highlight only Terry and Lampard in the same vein.

Having backed Mourinho so clearly, it would be a major surprise if they jettisoned him over the summer. But even if Chelsea win the FA Cup, it will only lend a superficial sheen to a season of under-achievement.

Mourinho has to be judged only by the highest standards after the money he has been allowed to spend. His gamble on changing his team against Bolton last Saturday to save players for last night's game backfired spectacularly. And there will be no shortage of those queuing up to say that the Special One has lost his sheen.

Not that he was tempted to start trying to win friends and influence people last night. When he was asked what Benitez had got that he had not, what had helped Benitez get to two finals in the last three years when he had not reached any, Mourinho sneered: "We have two Premiership titles in the last three years and they have none."

We have welcomed the colour, spirit and character Mourinho has brought to the Premiership since he arrived from Porto.

But on nights like last night, it is awfully difficult to say anything other than he appeared childish, churlish, bitter and sad.

If he is looking for people to blame for last night's defeat, he should look at giants like Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher first. And then at himself.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion