Kenny dalglish - Should king kenny return?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 pm

How have we anything to lose by appointing Kenny!?!?!?! It's not as if Rafa was ripped away from us by Inter as soon as we finished second, it was follow up to a poor season that saw him leave.

It might not work, then again there's no guarantee choices 1-5  (unanimous or otherwise) would succeed either. Just because Kendall didn't make a successful return, doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. The bitters had a purple patch under him, but went downhill so his return was hardly favourable circumstances, appointments like Kev at Newcastle is hardly comparable given their vastly different situations in his two spells

On a side note, there can't be too many in football to have won the League and FA Cup as player, player-manager AND manager at the same club. If only he'd had the chance to player-manage and manage Liverpool in Europe.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Incidentally, I don't know how Kenny doesn't get the job now.  He's made it known he wants it and loads of pundits are queuing up to endorse him.  Even his son confirms he's interested.  The owners know he's a Kop legend and it would look like an almighty snub at a most sensitive time if he were swerved in favour of Hodgson (or Sven etc.).  Unless the likes of Hiddink changed his mind on Turkey and made a come get me plea, I don't see it being anyone but Kenny TBPH.

I think you may be correct.

There could be a lot of smoke being blown up everyone's arse regarding Roy's nailed on appointment, only to have the club turn around in the Summer and announce Kenny as the next manager.

Everyone goes "yaaaay we dodged a bullet!" and a certain solidarity ensues.

I think Kenny would be a good choice despite his absence from the managerial bench for some time. If Sammy satys on, I'm sure he can fill him in on what he believed worked and didn't work under Benitez and they can start to rebuild from there, or at least get the current team playing to the strengths. Something which Benitez didn't/couldn't do.
tonyeh

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:08 pm

tonyeh wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Incidentally, I don't know how Kenny doesn't get the job now.  He's made it known he wants it and loads of pundits are queuing up to endorse him.  Even his son confirms he's interested.  The owners know he's a Kop legend and it would look like an almighty snub at a most sensitive time if he were swerved in favour of Hodgson (or Sven etc.).  Unless the likes of Hiddink changed his mind on Turkey and made a come get me plea, I don't see it being anyone but Kenny TBPH.

There could be a lot of smoke being blown up everyone's arse regarding Roy's nailed on appointment, only to have the club turn around in the Summer and announce Kenny as the next manager.

I think Kenny would be a good choice despite his absence from the managerial bench for some time. If Sammy satys on, I'm sure he can fill him in on what he believed worked and didn't work under Benitez and they can start to rebuild from there, or at least get the current team playing to the strengths. Something which Benitez didn't/couldn't do.

I think people here are opting for Kenny out of romantic reasons. Memories of yesteryear, when the PL was a completely different league altogether, without the money, prima donnas, and shenanigans that goes on these days.
Kenny has been out of first team action as a manager for more than 10 years now, and it's not comparing like with like. If it was any other manager who was linked with us, out for that length of time, people would be saying "Absolutely not...". So why the delusional devotion to Kenny ?
Ferguson - to his credit - has been at the coalface for 20+ years so at least he is current in his thinking, his knowledge and his approach to the demands of managing a PL team. Whilst I like the idea of Kenny, I don't see him being a success. I think it would end in loathing - him loathing the board, the fans loathing him, maybe even the players as well....
Doesn't matter a to$$ what his son says - if I were impartial, I wouldn't be hiring him

As an aside, though it's not exactly a useful comparison I hasten to add, I watched the footage of Kenny in the dressing room at half-time in the UNICEF game on Sunday. Hardly a rousing teamtalk from Kenny now, was it ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:As an aside, though it's not exactly a useful comparison I hasten to add, I watched the footage of Kenny in the dressing room at half-time in the UNICEF game on Sunday. Hardly a rousing teamtalk from Kenny now, was it ?

you're right. the comparison is pointless.

it was a charity game ffs. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Kenny's a sure thing now I reckon.

Every LFC forum is in favour, and we know they are read by all sorts. He'll be cheap and he's the best chance we have of getting Stevie to stay.

Looking forward to it!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Reg wrote:Kenny isnt our first choice, I doubt he's even our fifth choice so why does everyone want to give him the job?

Playing devils advocate.... ???

So, who's our* first through fifth choices then, mate?  For the sake of discussion.

* I'm skeptical of the implied unanimity.

Come on Bob, the names have been bandied around for a week from Capello thru Hiddink, Woy, the Blackpool guy plus Lippi, MON and Larry Grayson.  :wwww
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm

stmichael wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:As an aside, though it's not exactly a useful comparison I hasten to add, I watched the footage of Kenny in the dressing room at half-time in the UNICEF game on Sunday. Hardly a rousing teamtalk from Kenny now, was it ?

you're right. the comparison is pointless.

it was a charity game ffs. :laugh:

Yep...just saying I saw it, that's all...
Mind you, Zidane would be nice, even if he is 46 now  :D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:17 pm

but if Kenny got it, he wouldnt get it... it'd only be interim, not on contract. So when you are backing next Liverpool manager, be careful as its next full time manager, not temporary one
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:

I think people here are opting for Kenny out of romantic reasons. Memories of yesteryear, when the PL was a completely different league altogether, without the money, prima donnas, and shenanigans that goes on these days.
Kenny has been out of first team action as a manager for more than 10 years now, and it's not comparing like with like. If it was any other manager who was linked with us, out for that length of time, people would be saying "Absolutely not...". So why the delusional devotion to Kenny ?
Ferguson - to his credit - has been at the coalface for 20+ years so at least he is current in his thinking, his knowledge and his approach to the demands of managing a PL team. Whilst I like the idea of Kenny, I don't see him being a success. I think it would end in loathing - him loathing the board, the fans loathing him, maybe even the players as well....
Doesn't matter a to$$ what his son says - if I were impartial, I wouldn't be hiring him

As an aside, though it's not exactly a useful comparison I hasten to add, I watched the footage of Kenny in the dressing room at half-time in the UNICEF game on Sunday. Hardly a rousing teamtalk from Kenny now, was it ?

Absolutely spot on.
Why not appoint Hansen, Barnes, keegan and the whole bunch as backroom staff so we can completely live in the past.

Kenny is a living legend and I want him associated with the vermin as little as possible and I do not want him to be in the firing line if this go ugly.

And we must look towards the future sometime...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby In and Out » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Kenny is a living legend and I want him associated with the vermin as little as possible and I do not want him to be in the firing line if this go ugly.

Kenny would do it for LFC, and us the fans. Being associated with them has little effect (imo) on Kenny's causes for the greater good.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby shawnk » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Absolutely spot on.
Why not appoint Hansen, Barnes, keegan and the whole bunch as backroom staff so we can completely live in the past.

I'm not sure of others but I'm not opting Kenny purely out of romantic reasons, he has proven records (as a player AND LFC manager) and understand EPL well. Beside, whoever comes in as manager will have the same transfer budget from the two clowns.
shawnk

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Not for me. Dalglish had a terrific record 20 years ago, but let's be honest - any manager would have won most games with a team like that at their disposal.

I don't want to see the man's reputation tainted.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Not for me. Dalglish had a terrific record 20 years ago, but let's be honest - any manager would have won most games with a team like that at their disposal.

I don't want to see the man's reputation tainted.

To be fair the 89 team was one that he put together.

Although i agree that the side when he took over in 85-86 was still a top side.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby tonyeh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Penguins wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:

Absolutely spot on.

I agree with both of you to a certain degree and if I had my way, I'd get Martin O'Neil in. I think he'd do well with the current team.

But, given a choice between Dalglish and Hodgson. Kenny will win every time.

Nothing against Roy personally, but I cannot see him doing what needs to be done with the team at Anfield at present.
tonyeh

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Kenny would be a good choice in my book, he already understands what the club is really about and he loves it. He will be a commanding presence, and will lift the dressing room especially Gerrard and Carragher, who would love to him as their manager.

Given the circumstances, I think he is the best option available.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion