KENNY DALGLISH NEWS

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Dalglish is such a big entity friction could develop between him and Rafa should they disagree. But on paper it looks like it would be a good idea.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Sabes,  I am 100% behind Benitez, he's done a great job, is the man of the moment and is in his prime. Hopefully he will lead us to a sustained period of domination in the league.

But I remember Kenny coming into the club to replace Keegan who we thought was irreplaceable, his passion, his skill, his fierce character that dominated (with a few notable others Scots) the greatest team this club and english football has ever seen - he's in my blood. Rafa isnt. Right now I wouldnt want to have to decide who has my loyalty.

Its like being engaged to a pretty girl and an old flame who you loved to death but dumped you, walks into the same bar. We've all been there.......... :laugh:

Dalglish perfoming a lesser role would belittle the fella, the role he is worthy of - is a threat to Benitez.

That said, Kenny is not the visionary Rafa is with his tactics, club changes, video collection, 14,000 lads under observation etc.. but in terms of immediate passion, Kenny IS above Rafa.

Its like Schumacher being seen in the Ferrari garage and asking the current drivers how they feel...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I really cant see Kenny coming back an being a member of the backroom staff. Maybe a different position suit type like but not in training gear,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Sabes,  I am 100% behind Benitez, he's done a great job, is the man of the moment and is in his prime

I know you are, that's why I asked very politely. :D

I understand what you say now mate :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:36 pm

so now Shearer is saying he wants Dalglish as director of football for the toons...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:55 pm

maguskwt wrote:so now Shearer is saying he wants Dalglish as director of football for the toons...

What instead of that towering knowledge of football that is Denis Wise. Seriously just how the feck did that vile pr1ck land that job?
heimdall

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Kenny Dalglish return to Anfield ideal for Liverpool

First it was Rafa Benitez's new contract, then Steven Gerrard agreeing an extension to his deal, and now the prospect of Kenny Dalglish, Anfield's greatest ever player, returning to the club in an advisory role. There's a lot of good news around Liverpool at the moment.

By Alan Hansen     20 Apr 2009

If this is an idea Rafa has come up with and he's happy with, then it's perfect for Liverpool and for Kenny. I was captain in 1986 when Bob Paisley was fulfilling that role in Kenny's first season as manager, and he was there for advice whenever Kenny wanted to tap into the vast reservoir of experience he had. It worked brilliantly.

Kenny may have been out of the game as a manager for eight years but he still watches more football than anyone I know. He can tell you about players at all levels, all over the world. Would he want to be a manager again? Maybe, if it was Liverpool, but this is an ideal role, where he will have a lot of involvement with youth development and be on hand to offer Rafa advice as and when he feels he needs it. It will provide a huge boost for everyone at the club, the senior pros as well as the young kids.

There's no doubt that Liverpool will start next season in a much better position than they started this one, and that's progress. They are getting closer and closer to challenging at the top and everyone knows that, whatever happens this year, they will have even more chance of winning the Premier League next season.

They may still win it this time, of course, and if they are to do so then this is yet another hugely significant week, facing Arsenal at Anfield tomorrow and then Hull, fighting for survival, on Saturday. They look hard matches on paper, but the managers of all top three sides will be pointing out no games are easy at this stage of the season.

It's often said that mid-table sides are easier to play against but they have no pressure on them and, against the big teams with nothing to lose, they regularly put in their best performances of the campaign. Similarly, Arsenal seem safe in fourth now and, after losing the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday, their priority will be the Champions League.

But this is where the top managers earn their corn. Arsenal play Chelsea at home and travel to Manchester United, too, and while there's no doubt Arsene Wenger will want to rest players to keep them fresh for Europe, he will also be aware that he cannot afford to concede the momentum which his side have built up over recent weeks.

Prior to Saturday, they were unbeaten in 18 games, and he will know how important it is to finish the season strongly. Wenger will be thinking about Europe, obviously, because if Arsenal fail to win the Champions League then that will make it a fifth year without a trophy, a poor return for a club of such stature. But taking too many risks with his side's league performances could affect their European ambitions.

You cannot turn good form on and off like a tap, as Manchester United have found, and you can go from feeling invincible to wondering where your next win will come from in the space of one game, almost. Reacting to their bad run of form with hard-fought wins over Aston Villa and Sunderland in the Premier League, as well as Porto in Europe, is testament to United's determination and resources, but they still look a shadow of the side they were even 10 weeks ago.

Sir Alex Ferguson showed where his priorities lie with his FA Cup semi-final selection yesterday and it cost them the dream of the quintuple, but they remain in pole position in the league and they have reached the semi-finals of the Champions League, all without playing well. The danger is that sooner or later, you are going to play poorly and lose.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 pm

What purpose would it serve to have Kenny back at Anfield ? Is this not just a kneejerk emotional response after the memorial service last week ? Don't get me wrong - I'm by no means being disrespectful to the 96.....But why has this Kenny link appeared all of a sudden ? What does he believe he has to offer right at this moment when he has been out of touch for so long ?
If I were being uber-cynical, I'd say he's possible trying to piggyback on the - hopefully! - imminent future golden period about to start under Rafa...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:24 pm

I guess it depends on whether you appreciate the pychological importance of having strength in depth not just on the field but in the structure of the club/business.

I see two benefits neither of which have to do with football per se, 1 to demonstrate that owners are taking a step back and are more willing to give greater autonomy at local level, ie the club will run itself with stronger characters and greater respect and will be the face of the club and 2. to use a similar example, we have 2 cathedrals in Liverpool, a concrete wigwam and the anglican. The impact of the anglican is more reassuring than the wigwam. The strength of the foundations, the blocks, the walls are far greater than the weaker (looking) structure. Kenny's presence reassures fans, sponsers and media that all is well at LFC.

That aside, I would have Kenny as a goodwill embassador for the club travelling the world visiting sponsers, arranging oversees tours etc.. whatever value Bobby Charlton brings the Mancs I would like to see Kenny do for us - but lets not kid ourselves - his management days are over.

This has been done without agreement with new owners...... looking back, Rafa´s contract was also agreed without a new owner in place.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Might as well give it go I am sure Rafa has thought about it alot Its not like him to bring in such a massive figure if he feels its gonna turn into a battle of egos.

Maybe this si sign we needed from Rafa that he knows he needs support and is getting in a club legend to help.  :buttrock
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Why are his management days behind him?
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 pm

kenny coming in can only be a good thing but only if its what rafa has suggested or wants - if he feels that kenny can bring a positive effect then great news . Rafa said he wanted the youth set up sorted and looked after properly and if he wants kenny to do that and kenny wants to do it then great news all round .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Yep seems like a win win win for me great for us fans and great for kenny and even better for rafa cos kenny knows his sh.it I feel he bring in some good tallent and make it his own.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 pm

heimdall wrote:Why are his management days behind him?

Footballs moved on a lot in the 8 years he´s been away, its a high energy job and with great respect Kenny hasnt quite got the mental toughness for the job.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Where has it been stated he is coming in as a management role thou ?

Kenny would never come back for any managers role imo - more of an advisory role - fill the gap left by Parry - football matters wise .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion