JAVIER MASCHERANO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:27 pm

Gillett and Hicks released a statement regarding transfers today.
LFC2007

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:33 pm

What ddi they say?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Liverpool co-Chairmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett have today released the following statement. 
"We made a significant investment in the playing squad during the summer and desperately want this team to succeed.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already have at the club.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the Manager then." 

Well not that we can jump into many conclussions, but it does seem they think they have spent enough to win things so far, while they don't overrule the possibility of buying in winter.

It doesn't seem they are going to make available indecent amounts of money for the winter market though.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Liverpool co-Chairmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett have today released the following statement. 
"We made a significant investment in the playing squad during the summer and desperately want this team to succeed.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already have at the club.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the Manager then."
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:27 am

looks like by them saying that its gonna be difficult for them to even take out mre money to sign masch and if they do not , it will be a sorry sight to see him go , he's prob one of the best DM for his age ..
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Perry Digweed » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:00 pm

On the other hand they are in business and they're not stupid (hopefully). They know it is much better to play down expectations before the window and then get credit if they do provide money for players.
Perry Digweed

Postby jeff capes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:47 pm

if he thinks liverpool are  going places under rafa he will stay.

that is the bottom line.

bring back the spice boys days from a few years back,where everybody wanted to be at liverpool.

the image of the club was glittering,flash and international.

but under houlier and now benitez there is a grey feel,a less comercial appealing feel.

i'm not scouse so having a scouse feel to club means nothing to me.

back in the spice boys days with fowler,collymore,rednap etc .everybody wanted to talk about liverpool but now i get the impression just thinking about liverpool bores everbody senseless.

even after a 8-0 win people don't want to talk about us..even after winning the champions league.

thats down to borenitez and too many cheesy scouse voices representing me on the radio.
jeff capes

Postby sworth26 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm

jeff capes wrote:if he thinks liverpool are  going places under rafa he will stay.

that is the bottom line.

bring back the spice boys days from a few years back,where everybody wanted to be at liverpool.

but under houlier and now benitez there is a grey feel,a less comercial appealing feel.

back in the spice boys days with fowler,collymore,rednap etc .everybody wanted to talk about liverpool but now i get the impression just thinking about liverpool bores everbody senseless.

even after a 8-0 win people don't want to talk about us..even after winning the champions league.

thats down to borenitez and too many cheesy scouse voices representing me on the radio.

:censored:
sworth26

Postby roberto green » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:55 pm

jeff capes wrote:if he thinks liverpool are  going places under rafa he will stay.

that is the bottom line.

What :censored: you speak lad,we were a laughing stock during the spice boy era hence the reason we got the image

Lets see,  which team would the fans rather have the spice boy era or now ,Yes no question. :shifty
roberto green

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:14 pm

the guy's high on weed
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeff capes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm

lets make it clear i'm not saying scousers are  cheesy.

what i'm saying is the ones who they let through on the radio to defend rafa,are the same cheesy ones
who they allowed on to defend gerard houlier.
jeff capes

Postby jeff capes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:46 pm

we were not a laughing stock because of the image, we were a laughing stock cause wer was not winning anything .

if you combine the flash partying spice boys image with a champions league win, then you become an attractive place to be at.

but if you are just a donkey working hard so that only benitez and the scouse players gets all the glory then whats the point...who would want to stick around there.

in the spice boys days fowler was god but everybody else was a star also.
now i'm hearing gerard won us the champions league all on his own.

so basically we are telling the other players that no matter what they do it does not matter,because there is only room for one star at anfield and it must be a scouser.

a bit like arsenal players could not be bothered to make henry look good and take all the credit...so they held back until he went.

i don't want gerard to go to find out our players are actually pretty good. i want stars all over the pitch not just scouse stars.

gerard is amazing but people need to get away from the scouse agenda.

people need to start looking at why people would come to liverpool and why they might leave.

i've seen games that gerard is rubbish yet some how he is man of the match.
compared to fowler gerard is actually god but we need to encourage the other players also
jeff capes

Postby Ade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Strange stuff this, Jeff. Have to say, though, one of the worst calls to 606 I've ever heard was a scouser on the weekend who was spitting at Sissoko, calling him an absolute disgrace, someone who should never wear the shirt again. I thought I was gonna hear Momo had walked off the pitch at Newcastle, gobbed on some of our fans and wiped his :censored: with the shirt. But no, it was because he'd given the ball away a few times. Bluenose in disguise? Maybe.

On the midfield topic, if T&G aren't gonna splash out any more new cash, and any signings are dependent on selling players first, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If we offload Riise and Momo we could raise £12m. I'd offer Pennant too if we still need £5m to pay for Masch. And if we've got to sell, selling Momo makes sense - Masch, Alonso, Stevie and (in a year or two's time) Lucas are all better players and by trimming the central midfield we can cut down on the rotation there.

Rafa has a rep for throwing his toys out of the pram. It's his style, god love him. It's a dangerous game, but to be fair, he's been backed over the summer, now  he has to push on a stage. Push on a stage and he gets more money. But he must keep Masch, whatever happens to Momo, Riise and for me, Pennant if it comes to that. And I think it's Masch who's behind this big bust-up. Rafa loves him, and I reckon he will ship out Momo if he has to.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:07 pm

apparently on sky's coverage, souness said that mascherano hasn't been that great so far and isn't worth the £17m we're willing to pay.

can anyone confirm this?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

stmichael wrote:apparently on sky's coverage, souness said that mascherano hasn't been that great so far and isn't worth the £17m we're willing to pay.

can anyone confirm this?

Yes he did say that.  He also said Mascherano's Liverpool form is nowhere near the standard of his Argentina form and he needs to be able to do more while in possession of the ball to warrant a 17million price tag.

To be perfectly honest I kind of agree.  Not sure about his Argentina form being better than his Liverpool form, but I'm not entirely sure he's worth 17 million.  He's a good player no doubt and at his age he'll get better (Souness also seemed to think Mascherano was 25/26 which is obviously wrong), but the fee seems inflated.

Then again we do have the financial backing these days and should be able to pay top dollar for players.  For that reason I'm not necessarily opposed to paying that for him, I just think it's a bit more than he's worth.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion