JAVIER MANQUILLO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 am

aCe' » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 am wrote:2 year loan with a 5mill price tag at the end of it ?

Doesnt seem like they value him that highly to me considering what young promising talent are going for nowadays. Chambers to Arsenal was what ? 16mill ?

Right back is a problem position for us and signing a player for the reserves isn't going to fix that. 

Oh and welcome to the club.

Chelsea and City didn't rate Sturridge.

There are numerous example of transfer bargains that turn into quality players.

Basically the member on this board will only be happy if we spend big and preferably on marquee signings. City supporter wannabes.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 am

aCe' » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 am wrote:2 year loan with a 5mill price tag at the end of it ?

Doesnt seem like they value him that highly to me considering what young promising talent are going for nowadays. Chambers to Arsenal was what ? 16mill ?

Right back is a problem position for us and signing a player for the reserves isn't going to fix that. 

Milan let Coutinho go for £8m.......
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:20 pm wrote:

Basically the member on this board will only be happy if we spend big and preferably on marquee signings. City supporter wannabes.

Your Sturridge comparison doesnt hold. Prior to signing for us, Sturridge had made over 100 appearances in the premier league. The season before the one we signed him, he scored 11 goals in 28 league starts mostly playing down the flank. Many people might not have liked him but the quality was there for all to see.

I couldnt care less if its a marquee signing or not but if we are going out to try and solve the RB problem then bringing in a 20 year old who has played a whopping 6 appearances over the past 3 seasons doesnt quite fill me with confidence that he'll come in and be anything more than a reserve player in his 1st season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:52 am

aCe' » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:20 pm wrote:

Your Sturridge comparison doesnt hold. Prior to signing for us, Sturridge had made over 100 appearances in the premier league. The season before the one we signed him, he scored 11 goals in 28 league starts mostly playing down the flank. Many people might not have liked him but the quality was there for all to see.

I couldnt care less if its a marquee signing or not but if we are going out to try and solve the RB problem then bringing in a 20 year old who has played a whopping 6 appearances over the past 3 seasons doesnt quite fill me with confidence that he'll come in and be anything more than a reserve player in his 1st season.

I never got the impression he was signed to come here to start. Flanagan is a capable starter. I see Manquillo as a better option than Cissohko.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Read somewhere that in an open training session the defence lined up like this

LB      Johnson ???
LCB    Lovren
RCB    Skrtel
RB.     Manquillo

If we sign Moreno then I think we will see Johnson less, well here's hoping anyway. For those that say that we signed Manquillo for the reserves, I'd say wait and see!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:21 pm

kazza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:Read somewhere that in an open training session the defence lined up like this

LB      Johnson ???
LCB    Lovren
RCB    Skrtel
RB.     Manquillo

If we sign Moreno then I think we will see Johnson less, well here's hoping anyway. For those that say that we signed Manquillo for the reserves, I'd say wait and see!

Heard that one as well. Apparently we'll play that against Dortmund. Surely we won't start the season like that though?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Johnson has actually been better at LB than RB recently.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:39 pm wrote:Johnson has actually been better at LB than RB recently.

Not really. I saw him against the Mancs doing his usual running down the line and losing possession, not getting back and fighting for the ball and raising his hand apologising to his team mates that were open rather than busting a nut to make it right. Sick of seeing it!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:33 pm

I know it's only one game but I though he was really impressive. Reminded me a lot of Arbeloa only playing 10 yards higher up the pitch.

More importantly he stopped crosses coming in which has been a major weakness for our fullbacks in recent times.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm

stmichael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm wrote:I know it's only one game but I though he was really impressive. Reminded me a lot of Arbeloa only playing 10 yards higher up the pitch.

More importantly he stopped crosses coming in which has been a major weakness for our fullbacks in recent times.

Probably abit early but he looked quality. Now for Moreno and we'll be set at CB's
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm

aCe' » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 am wrote:I couldnt care less if its a marquee signing or not but if we are going out to try and solve the RB problem then bringing in a 20 year old who has played a whopping 6 appearances over the past 3 seasons doesnt quite fill me with confidence that he'll come in and be anything more than a reserve player in his 1st season.

OK I get your point now ???
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Santa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:52 pm wrote:
aCe' » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 am wrote:I couldnt care less if its a marquee signing or not but if we are going out to try and solve the RB problem then bringing in a 20 year old who has played a whopping 6 appearances over the past 3 seasons doesnt quite fill me with confidence that he'll come in and be anything more than a reserve player in his 1st season.

OK I get your point now ???

:laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Yeah it's a bit too early to anoint him as the next Phil Neal but as debut's go that's about as impressive as you could hope for. Obviously the real test will be how he copes in the premier league, Andre Wisdom let's not forget looked set to be a regular himself off the back of some tremendous performances until Kevin Mirallas tore him to shreds and sent him to Coventry....well, West Brom anyway.
Good start though Javier.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm

stmichael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm wrote:I know it's only one game but I though he was really impressive. Reminded me a lot of Arbeloa only playing 10 yards higher up the pitch.

Surely not Arbeloa what a lousy player he was...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 pm

only me » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:

Surely not Arbeloa what a lousy player he was...

Arbeloa was quality both at the back and going forward ,one of the clubs most regrettable actions over recent times was selling him to Madrid for such a derisory figure.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion