JAVIER MANQUILLO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:33 pm

only me » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:
stmichael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm wrote:I know it's only one game but I though he was really impressive. Reminded me a lot of Arbeloa only playing 10 yards higher up the pitch.

More importantly he stopped crosses coming in which has been a major weakness for our fullbacks in recent times.

Surely not Arbeloa what a lousy player he was...

???
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:40 pm

as debuts go he did well today.
i actually thought he had a few ropey touches 1st half and a few misplaced passes but overall he played well. it certainly wasnt a baptism of fire seen as dortmund were really poor and unable to cope with us so he hardly got tested.
personally id start flanno and slowly begin to build up this lads minutes over the season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:47 pm

stmichael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm wrote:I know it's only one game but I though he was really impressive. Reminded me a lot of Arbeloa only playing 10 yards higher up the pitch.

More importantly he stopped crosses coming in which has been a major weakness for our fullbacks in recent times.

Of course he is not good enough here...that's why we should send all our sub-par rejects to Real Madrid. Now who do you suggest we bring in then?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:47 am

Santa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:47 pm wrote:

Of course he is not good enough here...that's why we should send all our sub-par rejects to Real Madrid. Now who do you suggest we bring in then?

That's easy as ANYONE is better then Glendra Johnson ,Manquillo looks promising so even better.
As to where we send our Sub-Par who cares ,better be RM as they are a bunch of over priced wnkers.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am

Hopefully not another Arbeloa as some point out.

Arbeloa was better Johnson by a mile so was probably made out to be better than he was, but was a distinctly average full back with a massive reputation for doing not much. He was fairly solid due to being roared at but that was about it. Hopefully Manquillo is far better.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 am

Stu the Red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am wrote:Hopefully not another Arbeloa as some point out.

Arbeloa was better Johnson by a mile so was probably made out to be better than he was, but was a distinctly average full back with a massive reputation for doing not much. He was fairly solid due to being roared at but that was about it. Hopefully Manquillo is far better.

Arbeloa was very solid rather than flashy and we improved alot when he came. He offered alot more going forward than Finnan and was equally solid at the back. He went to Real not because he was "average" or had a "massive reputation for doing not much"  :laugh:  but because he was a good player, he has been in their team for a while. He played for his country when they were the best team in the world. I am not saying he was the best player in the world but he was not average.

Either way, much better than Johnson which is not saying much.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am

kazza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am wrote:Hopefully not another Arbeloa as some point out.

Arbeloa was very solid rather than flashy and we improved alot when he came. He offered alot more going forward than Finnan and was equally solid at the back. He went to Real not because he was "average" or had a "massive reputation for doing not much"  :laugh:  but because he was a good player, he has been in their team for a while. He played for his country when they were the best team in the world. I am not saying he was the best player in the world but he was not average.

Arbeloa was average as average get's why he made RM and the national team?...Oh well it's one of those decision leaving everyone scratching their heads (Glen starts for England mind you...)..What i remember is Arbeloa fitting right in to Mourinho's group of thugs...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm

only me » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:12 am wrote:
kazza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 am wrote:

Arbeloa was average as average get's why he made RM and the national team?...Oh well it's one of those decision leaving everyone scratching their heads (Glen starts for England mind you...)..What i remember is Arbeloa fitting right in to Mourinho's group of thugs...

England is cr@p and Spain were world champions. He was actually there before Moureen showed up and was played by every manager he had so every manager must have seen something. Anyway he is no longer our player so we move on.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Nothing like Arbeloa from what I've seen in that friendly. He did a lot better than I expected but defensively he looks completely lost. Definitely nowhere near the finished article (or even ready for a starting spot) but he seems to have that little bit of courage and skill that the likes of Wisdom and Kelly lack.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Didn't see the game but I hope he's not another Arbeloa. Never rated that guy.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Saw a replay of the game yesterday and this guy looked pretty solid. Seemed calm and comfortable for such a young lad, made good decisions and was always at the right place. I think I'd actually start with him against Southampton if Flanagan is still injured (he is injured right?).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 pm

damjan193 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:22 pm wrote:Saw a replay of the game yesterday and this guy looked pretty solid. Seemed calm and comfortable for such a young lad, made good decisions and was always at the right place. I think I'd actually start with him against Southampton if Flanagan is still injured (he is injured right?).

yeah a knee injury i believe but should be available for sunday.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Let's nip this one in the bud now lads - Arbeloa was a quality player.  End of.  Johnson was a downgrade despite selling Arbeloa inexplicably for 2.5mil and buying Johnson for 17mil.

If Manquillo turns out to be of a similar standard I'll be happy enough.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 am

Thought both fullbacks were excellent yesterday but I thought this lad deserved special praise for winning the penalty in the last minute. He likes to play really high up the pitch and not just when he has got the ball, he's up there with Hendo as one of the best pressers in our team IMO which is great to see, he won the penalty not because he was on the end of a free flowing passing move but because he was working his @rse off in the last minute of a game closing people down at the edge of their area.
The fullbacks are one of the few positives in this tough start to the season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 am wrote:Thought both fullbacks were excellent yesterday but I thought this lad deserved special praise for winning the penalty in the last minute. He likes to play really high up the pitch and not just when he has got the ball, he's up there with Hendo as one of the best pressers in our team IMO which is great to see, he won the penalty not because he was on the end of a free flowing passing move but because he was working his @rse off in the last minute of a game closing people down at the edge of their area.
The fullbacks are one of the few positives in this tough start to the season.

Disagree about Moreno, just another Riise at best in my opinion, think he's very average, pace and enthusiasm don't make up for a lack of footballing abiilty, would much rather Enrique play... but there you go.

On Manquillo however I can't quite make up my mind, he looked really impressive yesterday, he seems quality, but I'm not sure weather thats because we've had an embarrasment playing there for years. Its odd watching a right back pass to a team mate, block a cross, and throw in a tackle. Usually we watch one to busy apologising to everyone for how ***** he is.

Being serious... I'm impressed, cracking signing, really decent player with potential. Reminds me of Finnan and a better version of the average (but fairly solid) Arbeloa. Which can't be a bad thing, one player I am fairly excited about and one who has improvement left in him once he gains confidence.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion