JAVIER MANQUILLO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Liverpool FC have today completed the loan signing of Spanish youth international Javier Manquillo from La Liga champions Atletico Madrid.

An athletic right-back, the 20-year-old's career began at academy level with Real Madrid before a switch to Atletico in 2007, while Manquillo has represented his country at various youth levels.

The Madrid-born defender is the seventh new recruit by Brendan Rodgers this summer, following Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Emre Can, Lazar Markovic, Dejan Lovren and Divock Origi in joining the Reds.

Immediately after sealing the formalities of his loan transfer, Manquillo told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm very happy to have signed for a club like Liverpool. I think it's one of the biggest in Europe. Any footballer would want to come and play here.

"When they tell you Liverpool want to sign you, I think like any player, you are going to be absolutely amazed and you don't think of anything else than going straight there.

"It's a team that nowadays, as I said before, any player would want to be a part of."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:49 pm

The first interview...

Welcome to Liverpool FC - how does it feel to be here?

First of all, thanks very much. I'm very happy to have signed for a club like Liverpool. I think it's one of the biggest in Europe. Any footballer would want to come and play here.

How did you feel when coming to Liverpool became a realistic possibility for you?

When they tell you Liverpool want to sign you, like any player, you are going to be absolutely amazed and you don't think of anything else other than going straight there.

What do you know about Liverpool?

Liverpool the place? I've never been here before so, just the bits I've seen since I arrived. But Anfield itself - I think that every player wants to play there.

And the legendary club itself, what do you know about the football club?

The club is one of the biggest in Europe, no English club has won more European Cups. It has a superb history and is a team that nowadays any player would want to be a part of.

How was it at Atletico Madrid?

It really was a great group of players. From a personal point of view it was a disappointing year for me. I was unlucky with injury, but for the group as a whole it was a brilliant year. We managed to achieve things that from the outset appeared almost impossible, so let's hope that I find something similar here; a team that has the highest aspirations and can win as much as possible.

What can you say about Juanfran as a player and what did you learn from him?

Juanfran is a top player and he's been showing that for a number of years now. I learned a lot from him. For example, he used to play further forward out wide and he found easy to adapt when they switched him to full back. He learned a lot himself in such a short time and did a great job.

Speaking about you personally now, for the supporters here, how would you describe yourself as a player?

Firstly, I'm coming here to earn my place in the side, and above all, like any footballer to keep on improving as much as I can in training and compete to the very best of my ability.

Are you a fan of the Premier league?

The football here is a bit different to elsewhere, particularly Spain. It's very end-to-end whereas Spanish football is more tactical. The football here is very entertaining to watch.

What challenges do you expect playing in this league will pose you?

Firstly, to accomplish all the targets that the club sets me. I believe that by working hard you can achieve anything.

What does football mean to you?

For me and almost every player, football is something you are born with, something you love and can't live without.

You played alongside Suso - what is he like as a player and a person?

It's better to have him on your side than against you, because we all know he has great quality and is a very good player. I get on very well with him and he's a great teammate to have.

Have you spoken with Suso about your move and what has he told you about Liverpool FC and the city?

To tell you the truth I haven't really spoken to him much yet but when we see each other he'll be able to give me lots of advice and I guess it will be him who helps me to get settled in here.

You will soon be running out in front of the famous Kop - have you had any thoughts on how that will feel?

That moment is something that you have to experience for yourself. Until I have, I would not know how to describe it to you.

What are you objectives at Liverpool FC?

The immediate objective is to do the best I possibly can here. I've come here to try and secure a place for myself in the side and, if possible, stay here for many more years in the future.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chriserfolg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Welcome Javier . Hope you surprise us .

Best of Luck .
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Welcome to the club Javier
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Welcome to the best club in the world lad!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

^ hear hear...Best Club in the World!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Great news. Will be nice to see him and Flanno battle it out for right back.

Now, someone book Johnson a taxi for London. He can join QPR and go back to West Spam.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:01 pm

welcome to the club lad  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome to the club and I like this idea of a two year loan with option to buy after first season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Welcome lad

Glad that we at least we have a backup for Johnson, hopefully much more, perhaps a replacement.

Won't take much to displace Johnson, just defend.
killerp

Postby damjan193 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:52 am

Welcome to the club kid!

Anyone know the details of the deal? Is it 5 million for just the two year loan or is that the price if we want to sign him?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby alxy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:41 am

Hope this is one of BR's young hits rather than misses. RB is one of the positions where we really need someone competitive. I like Johnson, but the pre-season and World Cup showed that's he's past it already unfortunately. We need someone to push up and replace him quick.
alxy

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 am

damjan193 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:52 am wrote:Welcome to the club kid!

Anyone know the details of the deal? Is it 5 million for just the two year loan or is that the price if we want to sign him?

its an initial 2 year loan with an option to buy the player for £5mil if we want.
hope it works out for the lad but again i feel we are trying to cheap it going down this route. if we are serious about replacing johnson then i dont know why we are not looking for someone more established.
a 2 loan deal to see how it goes isnt filling me with confidence at all.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:16 am

2 year loan with a 5mill price tag at the end of it ?

Doesnt seem like they value him that highly to me considering what young promising talent are going for nowadays. Chambers to Arsenal was what ? 16mill ?

Right back is a problem position for us and signing a player for the reserves isn't going to fix that. 

Oh and welcome to the club.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 am

Actually the option to buy is at the end of the first year. Either way, it's a smart move. If it doesn't work out, we don't lose anything except his wages. If it does, then 5mil will look a snip for a brilliant young RB. But that's looking from a financial point of view. From a footballing viewpoint, we really need someone to come in and oust Johnson from the RB position. If we don't do that, then it's a failure regardless of how smart the financing was....
alxy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion