JAMES MILNER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:03 pm

I just don't see the need for him, Mags. And on £120k a week? And vice captain? I'd have hoped we might find a younger, more dynamic player who might symbolise hope for the future. He may perform consistently, but so would a lot of cheaper players. And shouldn't an "influential" player like Milner be bringing more out of those around him? I just think it's bad business and shows where we're at as a team. £120k a week! What were Suarez and Gerrard on a week?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:22 pm

RedAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am wrote:I just don't see the need for him, Mags. And on £120k a week? And vice captain? I'd have hoped we might find a younger, more dynamic player who might symbolise hope for the future. He may perform consistently, but so would a lot of cheaper players. And shouldn't an "influential" player like Milner be bringing more out of those around him? I just think it's bad business and shows where we're at as a team. £120k a week! What were Suarez and Gerrard on a week?

It's due to the free transfer that he's on such a high wage. Anyway I do agree that we should have someone like Barkley instead of Milner. But that's in an ideal world. I'm liking the way Everton midfield and attackers play. They really took the game to Chelsea the other day!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm

maguskwt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am wrote:
RedAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am wrote:I just don't see the need for him, Mags. And on £120k a week? And vice captain? I'd have hoped we might find a younger, more dynamic player who might symbolise hope for the future. He may perform consistently, but so would a lot of cheaper players. And shouldn't an "influential" player like Milner be bringing more out of those around him? I just think it's bad business and shows where we're at as a team. £120k a week! What were Suarez and Gerrard on a week?

It's due to the free transfer that he's on such a high wage. Anyway I do agree that we should have someone like Barkley instead of Milner. But that's in an ideal world. I'm liking the way Everton midfield and attackers play. They really took the game to Chelsea the other day!

Still, someone has deemed him worthy of such an investment. For me it doesn't add up. Players like Gerrard and Suarez were worth over £100k a week (well, if anyone is, that is) because they're iconic, capable of magic, inspiring those around them, and if inspiration didn't work they'd go on and win the game on their own. It's one thing to say that due to the nature of the financial game, Milner can command such a fee. It's another thing entirely to agree to pay it. In what world is JM and JH worth £230,000 a week? How have either earned that? Are they world beaters? Crowd pleasing entertainment? Will they lead us to glory? Really, I think Rodgers learned football management from Football Manager. He makes crazy decision like the ones I would many years ago. I'd sign a player on the basis id never heard of the country he was from. My quest for the new George Weah :D
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:05 pm

...and a footnote, I'd also make that player the penalty taker. Debut goals rock for the new George Weah.
RedAnt

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:29 pm

maguskwt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm wrote:You can't have all flair players in your team. We need solid players in the middle. I was sceptical about him playing in CM. But In the games we scored points, Milner has been solid. He was the one pushing forward and getting back. You could look at the rating thread, I think he scored consistently high. If the team is not playing well and once Milner has to do more than he should be ( like covering for Can) it could look bad for him, because he's being stretched to no fault of his own. IMO the culprits for our performances so far has been Skrtle, Lovren, Gomez, Can, Ibe and in some games Firmino. Benteke and Clyne has been our best performers, followed by Coutinho and Milner.

Mags, you're saying you can't fill your team with just flair players, that you need solid players in midfield, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Milner, however, is definitely not that. Stick him on the wing to run in a straight line or introduce him as an impact sub and you might see him doing well. The central midfield job requires a lot more than that though. Creativity, dictating play, reading the game, he has none of that. He's not intelligent and he doesn't offer physical presence. He's semi-fast and can play three different games in the same day but that's not nearly enough of what's required. Not that the rest of our CMs are any better at the moment but at least they resemble a midfielder.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:54 am

Milner is a steady Eddie but if you have serious pretention's about being a top club you shouldn't be building your midfield around steady Eddie's. It's not really rocket science -

Midfield built around the likes of Souness, McDermott and Case - we regularly won the biggest prizes in the game.

Midfield built around the likes of Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - we challenged for the biggest prizes in the game.

Midfield built around the likes of Hendo, Milner and Allen - getting our @rses handed to us on a fairly regular basis.

It's all about building your team around quality midfield players and atm despite spending near £300m over the last 3 years we don't have one single quality MF in our squad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:37 am

damjan193 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 am wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm wrote:You can't have all flair players in your team. We need solid players in the middle. I was sceptical about him playing in CM. But In the games we scored points, Milner has been solid. He was the one pushing forward and getting back. You could look at the rating thread, I think he scored consistently high. If the team is not playing well and once Milner has to do more than he should be ( like covering for Can) it could look bad for him, because he's being stretched to no fault of his own. IMO the culprits for our performances so far has been Skrtle, Lovren, Gomez, Can, Ibe and in some games Firmino. Benteke and Clyne has been our best performers, followed by Coutinho and Milner.

Mags, you're saying you can't fill your team with just flair players, that you need solid players in midfield, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Milner, however, is definitely not that. Stick him on the wing to run in a straight line or introduce him as an impact sub and you might see him doing well. The central midfield job requires a lot more than that though. Creativity, dictating play, reading the game, he has none of that. He's not intelligent and he doesn't offer physical presence. He's semi-fast and can play three different games in the same day but that's not nearly enough of what's required. Not that the rest of our CMs are any better at the moment but at least they resemble a midfielder.

I agree with this. I'll also add that he slows the build up play, consistently gives the ball away (mostly because of his poor decision making), and he never seems to know when to push forward or hold the midfield position when we are on the ball. Henderson for all the criticism is a much much better CM imo and that says a lot about the likes of Milner, Can, Lucas and Allen who are all mid table standard at best.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:56 am

aCe' » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:37 am wrote:
damjan193 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 am wrote:

I agree with this. I'll also add that he slows the build up play, consistently gives the ball away (mostly because of his poor decision making), and he never seems to know when to push forward or hold the midfield position when we are on the ball. Henderson for all the criticism is a much much better CM imo and that says a lot about the likes of Milner, Can, Lucas and Allen who are all mid table standard at best.

Totally agree. For all the talk of Can's potential, I've not been particularly impressed, but then Rodgers is manager and likes playing people in weird positions. Hendo is our best midfielder. Shame, that. Not so long ago we had Mascha, Gerrard, Xabi and Gary Mac. Now we have Milner, Hendo, Allen, Can and Lucas. Evolution in reverse.
RedAnt

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 am

Lucas and Can are top midfielders played in their right position

We will see how good can Is when he leaves the club

He has the potential to be as dominating as ya ya

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:54 am wrote:Milner is a steady Eddie but if you have serious pretention's about being a top club you shouldn't be building your midfield around steady Eddie's. It's not really rocket science -

Midfield built around the likes of Souness, McDermott and Case - we regularly won the biggest prizes in the game.

Midfield built around the likes of Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - we challenged for the biggest prizes in the game.

Midfield built around the likes of Hendo, Milner and Allen - getting our @rses handed to us on a fairly regular basis.

It's all about building your team around quality midfield players and atm despite spending near £300m over the last 3 years we don't have one single quality MF in our squad.

Can't argue with that...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:21 pm

yeah I mean it's not like Milner has ever won a premier league title is it...   oh wait.  doh!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Sorry but Luke chadwick and jeremy aliaidiere have also won pl medals

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Djimi Traore has a champions league medal FFS. Means nothing.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Don't forget Torres. He won a medal or two for Chelski and was total shyte for them.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:41 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 am wrote:yeah I mean it's not like Milner has ever won a premier league title is it...   oh wait.  doh!

Milner played about as much a role in City's success as Phil Neville played in United's, both were utility men who didn't let anyone down when called upon but they were hardly pivotal a la Roy Keane/Ya-Ya Toure etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion