The stadium

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 am

Ground sharing is about as exciting a prospect as sharing a large house with my neighbours. Financially it would make sense but on all other counts it would be a disastrous failure. Moyes is naively and somewhat stupidly claiming that the red half of the city would be less enthusiastic than the blue side with regards to a ground share. I know several very bitter middle aged intelligent Everton supporters that would not be seen dead in Anfield even for a derby match. Moyes has once again demonstrated that he is prepared to accept compromise. Does he even understand what the Everton motto is supposed to mean?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

[quote="[url=http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1176665#p1176665]

because even a whopperdome made out of gold bricks and platinum girders wont mean as much to people as this load of concrete and rusty old iron.
if you need why that is explaining to you then you dont understand football.

What is the life expectancy of the existing Anfield, what is the maintenance cost per month etc..?
Old stadiums have high running costs. Get rid if you ask me. Nice new 70,000 seater.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 am

devaney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 am wrote:Ground sharing is about as exciting a prospect as sharing a large house with my neighbours. Financially it would make sense but on all other counts it would be a disastrous failure. Moyes is naively and somewhat stupidly claiming that the red half of the city would be less enthusiastic than the blue side with regards to a ground share. I know several very bitter middle aged intelligent Everton supporters that would not be seen dead in Anfield even for a derby match. Moyes has once again demonstrated that he is prepared to accept compromise. Does he even understand what the Everton motto is supposed to mean?

Moyes is distracting the stupid gullible bitters away from the fact that they are sh'it and skint by talking about something which will never happen.
Topic of discussion for gobsh'ites who foolishly believe that LFC would even consider bailing those cu'nts out
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby Boocity » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7861545/Reds-stadium-talks-encouraging

Reds stadium talks encouraging

The city's mayor reveals discussions are going well

Last Updated: July 3, 2012 11:43am

Anfield: Liverpool are planning to move out of their historic ground. Continuing discussions between Liverpool and the city council over the club's stadium plans are encouraging, according to mayor Joe Anderson.
Liverpool have still to make a decision on whether to press ahead with the £300million-plus proposal to build a new ground in Stanley Park or redevelop Anfield.
Choosing the former option is dependent on a multi-million pound naming rights deal being in place, while the latter plan requires a number of planning obstacles to be overcome.
A July deadline for a decision has been allowed to slip as talks continue but Liverpool mayor Anderson is optimistic a decision acceptable to all parties can be reached.
"We are in regular meetings with Liverpool FC and we are working with the club," he told the Liverpool Echo.
"It's frustrating for the local residents and they are my main concern.
"We are pushing for a speedy resolution to the issue of whether the club stays at Anfield or goes to Stanley Park but we are encouraged by the discussions."
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm

The problems with these bowl design stadiums these days is that they may look nice and symetrical and provide a completely enclosed arena, but come 20/30 years down the line if expansion is required again it's surely going to be much harder and expensive to achieve.

Personally whether we go for a new ground or expand Anfield (preferred option for me) I'd like to see us go with something like the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund. Although it's now a completely enclosed stadium it is essentially four seperate stands like Anfield and still has a 65,000 seat capacity.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:34 pm

The owners bought LFC on 15th October 2010.   Nearly 2 years ago.

I am concerned at the lack of progress on the stadium issue, clearly its not just a project delay, it's been sidelined.

The world economy is one issue but when the EPL has just sold the tv rights for a massive fee, we have increased sponsership revenue, EU money and local development funding and been actively looking for name rights sponsership to offset the cost of construction for over a year, it seems a game of mirrors rather than reality.

Sadly I don't see my buttocks being lowered onto a new plastic seat for another 5 years.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:18 am

It's just not a logical move to build a new stadium or redevelop Anfield at the moment and in that sense I can understand the owners.

The only viable alternative is sharing with Everton but the fans are so much against it that it will hurt both clubs. Ours the most since we are loosing momentum and the other top clubs are pulling ahead. We may mock Everton all we want but they actuall hold the key for our clubs survival as a top club.

As I said earlier. We build and own the stadium and they rent it from us. This way we can also use it for other things without loosing other revenue possibilities like concerts etc.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Kukilon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 am wrote:It's just not a logical move to build a new stadium or redevelop Anfield at the moment and in that sense I can understand the owners.

The only viable alternative is sharing with Everton but the fans are so much against it that it will hurt both clubs. Ours the most since we are loosing momentum and the other top clubs are pulling ahead. We may mock Everton all we want but they actuall hold the key for our clubs survival as a top club.

As I said earlier. We build and own the stadium and they rent it from us. This way we can also use it for other things without loosing other revenue possibilities like concerts etc.

as the owners said the other week in the echo liverpool fans have got to get out of this mindset that we are falling behind the other clubs in terms of matchday revenue.
as they said because of social, economic and geographical reasons we will never be able to compete with them on that score so liverpool has to be creative and generate money in other ways.
without adding one extra seat we could nearly double our matchday takings by just charging what arsenal and chelsea charge their fans to get into a game but liverpool is a different city to london. 
even if we had a 60,000 seat stadium and filled it every game we`d still be way behind the london clubs because they charge £600-£700 more for their season tickets. then there`s the corporate angle, look at the giant multinational companies and banks etc that are based or have office`s in london, in the paper the other day they showed a picture of that bob diamond of barclays celebrating with john terry and the F.A  cup at wembley, even the chancellor of the exchequer was there celebrating with them when they won the CL, chelsea probably have some of the most powerful executives and politicians in the world sitting in their corporate lounge every home game where we have people who own local building firms and local solicitors companies. 
obviously redeveloping anfield would help close the gap a bit but unless oil is discovered in the river mersey or a f**king big gold mine is found in stanley park we will never be able to compete with them on that score.
it`s good that our owners have realised this and are planning ways to bridge the gap, this documentary being made is probably part of their plan.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Good points made however recessions are also the best time to squeeze deals out of suppliers and governments to protect jobs etc.. so I would estimate a stadium would probably be 25% cheaper today than say 2-3 years ago.

The other point is whilst we cant compete with London or Manchester in terms of population and access to wealth, we DO have to compete with them in transfer fees and wages when faced competing for the same players. Either we find the cash or accept we're second tier.

We have to compete and have to get on with it and a 43,000 seat stadium is an obvious handicap.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Reg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:11 pm wrote:Good points made however recessions are also the best time to squeeze deals out of suppliers and governments to protect jobs etc.. so I would estimate a stadium would probably be 25% cheaper today than say 2-3 years ago.

The other point is whilst we cant compete with London or Manchester in terms of population and access to wealth, we DO have to compete with them in transfer fees and wages when faced competing for the same players. Either we find the cash or accept we're second tier.

We have to compete and have to get on with it and a 43,000 seat stadium is an obvious handicap.

in this era of russian and arab billionaires we are a second tier club and adding a few thousand seats to anfield wont allow us to compete with them financially.
but it`s amazing what you can do if you are a big club and you find a great manager, hopefully rodgers turns out to be one.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Good points again mate.

Whats noticeble is we tried to sign teh Icelandic lad for 7 million, this Italian lad for 7 million.... kinda suggests what our budget is doesn't it? Thats why we shouldn't keep Aqualani, if we're under financial pressure it doesn't make any sense keeping high wage eaners unless they play week in week out. Anyway thats another thread but we have to live within out means on all things.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the lone wolf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 pm

It's interesting that BR / LFC decided to re-place the 'This is Anfield' sign with the original from '74 - IMO placing pride into the past hints towards re-development of ANFIELD - which is what we all want? :)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest- ... field-sign
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby D___C » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 pm

There are definitely strong hints that we are staying... Henry also retweeted LFC fan (and architect) Paul McGurk's blog on a redeveloped Anfield.

No whopperdome. No generic soulless bowl. Arsenal may have a nice modern facility but it is devoid of any identity, zero character... if you stood in the middle of the pitch and looked around you could be in any stadium in the world.

Hopefully we get clearance to extend both Anfield rd and Main stands... bring the capacity up towards 60 thousand. That is what we want.
D___C

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 pm

D___C » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 pm wrote:There are definitely strong hints that we are staying... Henry also retweeted LFC fan (and architect) Paul McGurk's blog on a redeveloped Anfield.

No whopperdome. No generic soulless bowl. Arsenal may have a nice modern facility but it is devoid of any identity, zero character... if you stood in the middle of the pitch and looked around you could be in any stadium in the world.

Hopefully we get clearance to extend both Anfield rd and Main stands... bring the capacity up towards 60 thousand. That is what we want.

at least thats one piece of good news.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby the lone wolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 am

Read this today - also according to reports the council have outlined plans for Anfield housing redevelopment - ANFIELD WE STAY (hopefully!?)

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/06/li ... t-anfield/
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion