Houllier left with class - Last words on houllier

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:57 am

Less of the  personal insults MATE , I don't resort to cheap remarks even when I don't agree with someones opinion.

???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:03 am

Dalglish,

My point was this;
Shank's Was known for his diverse way of thinking re Football.

A more passionate MAN about the game and LFC, there has never been, probably we'll never see his likes again in World Football, the life and death comment was made in the sixties, if my memory is correct.

I appreciate that after Hillsborough (No ONE would have been more distraught than Shank's),  it could be taken in the wrong context, but twenty years earlier he meant it, it carried the fans along, believing that What HE said was right, he was totally unquestioned, remember the return leg of the Ajax game?, 5-1 down after the first leg, Anfield was packed, gates closed at 6pm for an evening kick-off, that's what he was driving at I surmise, that Football was the consuming passion for all LFC fans just like it was HIS, nothing else mattered, he drove the fervour of the Kop along.

My point about the Whiston Mastermind was simple, don't slag off people with whom you are not worthy of tieing their shoelaces!

Good to hear from you too!, PM me with how the sprog's coming along!
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:05 am

FAGOTT
84-1083280474

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:06 am

TheHustler wrote:FAGOTT

We've never met How do you do Gayboy!

glenbuck patriot

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:08 am

Point taken and eloquently made Glenbuck which is more than be said for some in here LOL :D

The passage of time and the events of 15 April 1989 have tended to contradict Shankly's famous quote (amoungst many quotes) but in the context and the time he made it it's not a contradiction at all. I think Stu was blasting off again, he always does when the posts are about Houlliier who I gather is one of the few pweople he DOES rate !!!!! :p

You rise to oeasil;y to him though mate , let him spout off. It gives meaning to his life !!!! !LMAO :D

I'll Pm about the baby
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:15 am

Dalglish wrote:Point taken and eloquently made Glenbuck which is more than be said for some in here LOL :D

The passage of time and the events of 15 April 1989 have tended to contradict Shankly's famous quote (amoungst many quotes) but in the context and the time he made it it's not a contradiction at all. I think Stu was blasting off again, he always does when the posts are about Houlliier who I gather is one of the few pweople he DOES rate !!!!! :p

You rise to oeasil;y to him though mate , let him spout off. It gives meaning to his life !!!! !LMAO :D

I'll Pm about the baby

As usual Dalglish your my voice of reason, I met the great man on a couple of ocassions....he had a great oritory and aura about him, it had you hanging on his every word, just hate to see him belittled by a know-nothing, that's all.

glenbuck patriot

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:18 am

I feel  a little similar about Houllier though mate although he's not in the same league as Shanks in terms of achievement but I have met Houllier and it gets to me when people have cheap shots at the guy when all he was really guilty of was trying his best and not quite making the mark...is that SUCH a bad thing ? ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:27 am

I think with GH though it had reached a different level, we ended up playing what can only be descibed as boring football, maybe the success he had came too soon, maybe we used up all of our luck in that season... who knows, there's no doubting he had good credentials and a passion to succeed, my own feelings, he took them as far as he could, laid down good foundations, more on the facilities than the playing staff and it was a good time for him to move on, he can still be recognised as the 4th most succesful Manager we've had.

glenbuck patriot

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:30 am

Couldn't agree more Mark :)  A brief and precise analogy of Houllier's career and nothing wrong at all in the analysis of his tenure at the club.

Just a  pity others can't be as articulate so choose the easy option and  resort to cheap insults and nothing comments ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:21 pm

Houllier did try his best for Liverpool.  In fact he nearly gave his life.  He helped us win a few trophies BUT he encouraged the team to play in a manner that prompted Ian St. John to quite rightly state "turned the supporters into zombies".

Houllier brought discipline and organisation to the club but at times we could well have done with the excitement, flair and thrills that the spice boys of '96/'97 were capable of.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:58 pm

You must be living in a distant part of the empire if you think he brought disipline to the team. The cowboys he brought in were NO different to the "Spice Boys" with their arrogant indisiplined manner around town - flash harrys who we are paying ridiculous wages to.
At the end of the day any "success" attributable to Houllier was on the backs of the homegrown talent who were motivated by their loyalty to LFC.
We've just wasted 6 years and are no healthier now
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:24 pm

I reckon I agree with JohnBull.We are no better off now than when Roy Evans left.Infact we are worse off if you consider we finished the season thirty points behind Arsenal.Our two best players are homegrown and so disprove Houlliers theory  that said french was best.People like Biscan,Cheyrou,Diouf,Diao,Traore etc prove Houlliers ineptitude in the transfer market.Are people really trying to say that we couldnt have done any better over the last six years?Cos I dont see it that way.Six years ago the board made the wrong choice and Liverpool have stagnated because of it.Any half decent manager of this club could win an occasional UEFA cup or an FA cup.This is Liverpool for christ sake.Have we become so detached from our history that we idolise a man who wins a few minor trophies? There are only two trophies that mean anything to old guard Liverpool supporters.Two trophies that guarantee you your job.Two trophies that put you up there with the legends.And they ARENT the uefa cup,fa cup,or league cup.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:21 pm

I think that all of you make some good points, and I can see the logic in it all, but to constantly go on about our history, and to suggest that it makes us in any way superior is quite simply naive.

People need to stop living in the past, and take a good look at what is going on right here and now.

Just cus we have won the league a record number of times does not give us the right to expect to be up there each and every year. People often mention Shankly, but remember,( or if you cannot I can for you), that when he came to this club, we were simply a struggling second division outfit.

Face facts guys, at the moment and for the last ten years we have been nothing more than also rans, I look forward to every season with the same expectation of picking up the championship in May, but in all honesty I can not remember more than one season during the last ten, when I felt it was really a possibility.

This was born out of picking it (the championship) up regular as clockwork thru the 70's and 80's, but that was at least fifteen years ago. The season, when I truly felt we could win it again, was the one following World Cup 2002, after we finished second, and a close one at that to Arsenal the year before. And for the records boys you know who was in charge at the time.

Maybe it is cus of the amazing fall from being in touching distance of the title, to nowhere once again that truly broke the bond between Liverpool supporters and Gerard Houllier?

Bill Shankly made the most momentous impression on me and every other person who was lucky enough to have met, read about or heard of him. I would have laid my own life down for the man, such was the influence he had on me and the thing I hold most dear, LFC.

However the famous lines he uttered, where forever laid to rest that Saturday afternoon in Sheffield. Anyone who disagrees with me needs only visit the shrine next to the gates at anfield, or read of or speak to anyone who had to go through that nightmare. Those people will never be forgotten, and it brings a shiver down my spine when I travel to each game, after all this was all those people did, went the match the same as you and me do week after week, season after season.

Lets give GH the respect he deserves, he did the same as you and I would in the same situation, THE BEST YOU CAN. In his case it was not enough, in the case of Shankly and Paisley it was more than we could ever dream of.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Well said Leon.They seem decent last words on the Houllier years.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:13 pm

The reason we won so much in the 70s & 80s was because a system had been developed by Shanks and Paisley.
There were improvements to the basic system but it worked and was copied by every successful team in Europe.
Things started to go wrong when the smart-****** came  in and thought that they knew better - that they could change the system and go for the total football of Brazil or Ajax or whatever.
Shanks knew  that apart from being a simple game, most footballers are simple anyway. Keeping the gameplan simple makes sense. Don't give them anything to think about - just give them a job to do and stick to it!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion