State of the club - Has houllier left foundations or a mess?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:23 am

im sure benitez will build on what houllier has left behind, hes got a proven record so hopefully he can be the solution to all our problems.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:32 am

Well he probably won't be the solution to ALL our problems mate but competing for the title and a decent showing in the CL wil do for a start :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:34 am

GH built a team supposedly to challenge for the EPL title. What did we do last season? We have to fight for 4th place. Is that nice when those 3 above us are fighting for the title? GH had a fairly good team, but made use of the wrong players and tactics. To say the least, I wasn't happy at all to see lfc fighting for 4th place. Pathetic.

Beni hopefully will build a team that will easily challenge for the title. He has everything going for him now. Gerard staying, Baros having form, Owen deciding to stay and players that are willing to show what they can offer to Beni. Beni will build a team for himself, without any credit of GH's era of decline.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:28 pm

begintoend wrote:GH built a team supposedly to challenge for the EPL title. What did we do last season? We have to fight for 4th place. Is that nice when those 3 above us are fighting for the title? GH had a fairly good team, but made use of the wrong players and tactics. To say the least, I wasn't happy at all to see lfc fighting for 4th place. Pathetic.

Beni hopefully will build a team that will easily challenge for the title. He has everything going for him now. Gerard staying, Baros having form, Owen deciding to stay and players that are willing to show what they can offer to Beni. Beni will build a team for himself, without any credit of GH's era of decline.

Where are you from Begintoend?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:37 pm

I think Houlier laid some good foundations epecially at the start but in the last two seasons he had a bit of bad luck and panicked and stuffed up a lot of his own good work.  He wasn't a bad manager he just couldn't cope with a bit of bad luck and lost his head (and his job).
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby begintoend » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:41 pm

Does it matter, Leon?
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:41 pm

Agree with starbridge.  Houllier did lose it towards the end but LFC needed him at the time he came in as it needed a shake up and he modernised the club.  Hopefully we will reap the rewards of the academy and improved training grounds in the years to come
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:57 pm

He was there 6 years, not 5.

I nearly laughed when somebody said "5 trophies in 6 months" yeah, charity shield, European super cup, wow!

This has been a fantastic summer, Heskey gone, GH gone, Gerrard staying, Owen staying, Baros looking class, a real manager and not an excuse maker here.

If Benitez says at any stage that pipping Charleton or Birmingham to come 4th 30 points behind the leaders is "magnificent" shoot him, otherwise the guy can do no wrong (for a couple of seasons anyway)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:06 am

FA Cup And UEFA Cup beating Roma and Barcelona on the way .........

Worthington beating a full strength Man Utd side........

Learning how to compete and beat United home and Away

Best run EVER of ANY manager against the Blues S.h.i.t.e

Purchase of Kewell, Hyppia, Rise, Maccallister, Kirkland, Hamann, Baros .....

But because it's Houllier  who achieved all the above  it doesn't count does it ???

Give Benitez a couple of months and  poor result or two and you'll be lining up to give him a kicking I'm sure ....

BOO BOY  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:12 am

I can't really say if Houllier has left a good foundation or otherwise.

We do seem to have some decent players, too few outstanding ones and a lot of reserves who were never given a fair chance at first team football. It just make you wonder why Houllier bought them in the first place and then just left them to rot. Perhaps he felt so pressured to deliver that one or two unconvincing displays and these players are deemed not good enough.

The only thing is that LFC has some 19 million pounds of debt due to some of the expensive duds and transfer policy of Houllier's and if Benithez managed to dig some good talents from the academy, then Houllier would have left us in a relatively good state
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:22 am

I think Gerrard left the club in pretty decent shape. If he had been allowed to stay longer that may not have been the case but if you take a close look. We're allright. The training & Academy facilities are second to none. The spine of the squad is good with Kirkland, Hyppia, Stevie, Kewell, Owen and Baros. We have Le Tellec and Pongo to come through, Cisse COULD be the icing on the cake and we are in the Chamions League.

On the flip side. Houller's legacy (as he likes to call it) could have lost us Gerrard, Owen and Baros + the coffers are perhaps a little bare following some of GH's signings these past 2 years.

On the whole thought, the foundations are there for the new manager.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion