Houllier's wasted millions - Back rafa this summer like houllier was.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banburyred » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi everyone I'm a newcomer to this forum but have read with interest a lot of the comments made over the past few months.  The question what I've been pondering is what funds the club will give Rafa in the summer, so that he can buy the quality of strikers that we need to win the premiership.  When thinking about the sum needed I couldn't stop being reminded of the £34M spent by Houllier on Cisse, Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao. Rafa would never have wasted this amount so easily and I just hope the board show the same trust in Rafa and back him heavily this summer as they did with Houllier.
banburyred

Postby redmikey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:31 pm

the board backed him blindly because they thought he had turned around a transitional team, but in reality he hadn't changed anything, but we won and so the money flowed, when it was going down the pan. he threw bad money after worse money tring to buy his way out of trouble.

imo roy evans would have done a better job but he lost his job because of collymore and the trouble he caused in a good young team, if you look back to the evans era we were a cracking team if just a little inconsistant,

houllier is up there with daglish for me, as a manager who was paper sucessful but did more harm than good, i know that might be abit contriversal but daglish was an amasing player but a terrible manager
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby AlanHansen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:31 pm

I hope they do as well, but remember that Houllier bought 9 out of the CL winning side last season, so he wasn't a numpty. (Well apart from Cheyrou :suspect:  )

I hope Rafa gets the funds to build as well.
AlanHansen

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:33 pm

banburyred wrote:When thinking about the sum needed I couldn't stop being reminded of the £34M spent by Houllier on Cisse, Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao.

don't say that, it still gives me nightmares :help

they'll be money available in the summer, especially if we progress further in the champions league, and i can see it all going on a right winger and a top class striker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

rafa is looking for player to fit into a team which is what i like most of all.

he is buying young and looking to beat cheski to some of the future big names in world football because no-one can take them on in the market with there gansters bottomless pockets
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Rafa Benitez has shot down suggestions he is unhappy with the level of finance available to spend at Liverpool.

The Spaniard is fully focused on Wednesday's UEFA Champions League tie with Benfica, live on Sky Sports 2, and is dismayed to read reports claiming he wants a £30 million transfer kitty to spend in the summer.

After making it clear that he has no problem with the Anfield board, the highly-respected coach is keen to rebuff speculation linking him with jobs at Real Madrid and Internazionale.

"I can say to you that I don't have any problems with the board, with the chairman or the chief executive," he told Sky Sports News. "Not any problems.

"I am happy here.

"The only thing I want is to do well and beat Benfica and, after that, I want to think about beating Arsenal."

Benitez wants nothing more than to overturn the one-goal first leg deficit against Portuguese giants Benfica before reverting his thoughts back to the Premiership game at the weekend.

"I am really focused on the Champions League game," he explained. "I'm not worried about other things.

"The only thing I am doing now is preparing for the game, talking with the players and trying to do my best in this case.

"They are really focused, we are really focused. We know how important the game is for us and the club and we will try to win this game."

http://home.skysports.com/list.as....me_page

well that puts an end to that then :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:50 pm

nice one st mike, it might stop all the b~llsh~t now but i doubt it.

the board know they have a gem of a manager and wont let him slip away as easily as the media would like,

my respect for rafa as our manager builds with ever statment he releases, this must have been what it was like for the fans when shankley turned up,

just with more of a visual turn around in the shankley case,

the bloke is a breath of fresh air, there isn't a manager in the world i would swap him for at the moment.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:56 am

banburyred wrote:Hi everyone I'm a newcomer to this forum but have read with interest a lot of the comments made over the past few months.  The question what I've been pondering is what funds the club will give Rafa in the summer, so that he can buy the quality of strikers that we need to win the premiership.  When thinking about the sum needed I couldn't stop being reminded of the £34M spent by Houllier on Cisse, Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao. Rafa would never have wasted this amount so easily and I just hope the board show the same trust in Rafa and back him heavily this summer as they did with Houllier.

At the risk of ressurecting the Houlier debate I'd like to remind you that of the 11 players that started the European Cup Final In Istanbul in 2005 , NINE of them were Houllier players  :Oo:

Hyppia, Riise, Finnon, Baros, Dudek, Hamann and Kewell were all bought by Houllier and have been good buys in my opinion.

You simply can't quote Houllier's poor signings to somehow advocate the bankrolling of Benitez. Anyway Rafa IS more astute than GH could ever be and I don't think he will be asking for silly money this summer. He didn't do it at Valencia and he's unlikely to do it at Liverpool.

His biggest purchase so far has been Xabi Alonso who at 10Milion is a bargain. Morientes may well prove to be the most expensive flop at 6 Million which by todays standards is hardly breaking the bank.........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:54 am

Dalglish wrote:
banburyred wrote:Hi everyone I'm a newcomer to this forum but have read with interest a lot of the comments made over the past few months.  The question what I've been pondering is what funds the club will give Rafa in the summer, so that he can buy the quality of strikers that we need to win the premiership.  When thinking about the sum needed I couldn't stop being reminded of the £34M spent by Houllier on Cisse, Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao. Rafa would never have wasted this amount so easily and I just hope the board show the same trust in Rafa and back him heavily this summer as they did with Houllier.

At the risk of ressurecting the Houlier debate I'd like to remind you that of the 11 players that started the European Cup Final In Istanbul in 2005 , NINE of them were Houllier players  :Oo:

Hyppia, Riise, Finnon, Baros, Dudek, Hamann and Kewell were all bought by Houllier and have been good buys in my opinion.

You simply can't quote Houllier's poor signings to somehow advocate the bankrolling of Benitez. Anyway Rafa IS more astute than GH could ever be and I don't think he will be asking for silly money this summer. He didn't do it at Valencia and he's unlikely to do it at Liverpool.

His biggest purchase so far has been Xabi Alonso who at 10Milion is a bargain. Morientes may well prove to be the most expensive flop at 6 Million which by todays standards is hardly breaking the bank.........

And to be fair, no one could possibly have predicted that one of Europe's finest strikers would turn into the pile of sh*te that we see at Anfield.

The guy has no ambition left.   :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 am

I still think we should look at Dirk Kuyt. Plus he would fit in quite well with Kromkamp & Zenden.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:05 am

redmikey wrote:houllier is up there with daglish for me, as a manager who was paper sucessful but did more harm than good, i know that might be abit contriversal but daglish was an amasing player but a terrible manager

Dalglish won the double in his first year as manager, only the 2nd time it was ever achieved in England.

You are a nob
tel

Postby the_red_alonso » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:22 am

Houllier took the club forward neverthless but he simply lost it in the final couple of seasons.
Under Rafa we r going forward further but its still a long way to go until we get that 19th title.
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 pm

tel wrote:
redmikey wrote:houllier is up there with daglish for me, as a manager who was paper sucessful but did more harm than good, i know that might be abit contriversal but daglish was an amasing player but a terrible manager

Dalglish won the double in his first year as manager, only the 2nd time it was ever achieved in England.

You are a nob

daglish is a hero as a player in my eyes but the fact that he took over a great team and won the double doesn't make him a great manager.

liverpool   took the reigns as player manager and we went down hill into transition from there

blackburn  bank role the league by a dying millionaire

newcastle  don,t mention his name there

celtic    another great job

tv pundit 

being called a nob by you isn't so bad because you have no idea what you are taking about

feck off ladyboy  :veryangry
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Mikey for you to say he was a terrible manager is well out of order. However, tel doesn't have a clue what he's talking about as you rightly said so i wouldn't worry about any insults coming from him. He thinks you can only win games with big names and is generally clueless about football.

Dalglish was a good manager, nothing more, nothing less. You don't win the league if you're a bad manager, no matter how good the team is or how much money you have.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Anyway... Banbury? What the frigging hell are replying to a tool like this for anyway? Another know nothing, out of town shirt wearer who comes on here claiming to support the local side yet all he wants to do is slag us off.

Exactly the same as BavLondon, people like this don't respect the club and are quite simply glory hunters. Enough said.

:censored: Houllier, he left years ago, get over it.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion