Houllier criticises "whining british managers" - Is houllier a hypocrite?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Houllier criticises "whining british managers" - Is houllier a hypocrite?

Yes, Houllier is always whining about decisions going against Liverpool
100%
No, Houllier never complains about desicisions going against Liverpool
No votes

Total votes : 8

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:41 pm

I read this morning on teletext that Houllier has criticised British managers for whining about decisions that go against them. This is in the wake of Moyes complaint about a penalty decision Everton didn't get

Isn't this what Houllier has been doing all season? The penalty we should have had against Tottenham etc

found on some everton website which shall remain nameless

A LIVID Gerard Houllier launched an astonishing attack on David Moyes after the Everton manager claimed his side had been robbed of victory, threatening to overshadow the most exhilarating Merseyside derby in years.
Both managers were united in their belief that the preceding 90 minutes had provided everything but a crucial, match-winning goal and been illuminated by two quite stunning goalkeeping displays from Everton’s Nigel Martyn and Liverpool’s Jerzy Dudek.

But feelings of rancour spilled over when Moyes insisted that referee Steve Bennett had made two game-changing decisions in a pulsating first half that could have led to the dismissal of home skipper Sami Hyypia and a penalty for the visitors when Jamie Carragher appeared to handle.

Houllier, while acknowledging a draw was probably the fairest of results given the vigour and enterprise shown by an admirable Everton side, was adamant his side had the better of the game and was furious with Moyes’ gripe. And in an amazing outburst, the Liverpool manager singled out Moyes and other British managers in the Premiership of lacking the grace and dignity of their foreign counterparts when victory is denied them.

“Every time we foreign managers play against a British manager, with the exception of one or two, they never acknowledge that they lost normally,” said Houllier. “It is always because of the referee or this or because of that. I do not think Hyypia fouled Radzinski and I don’t think it was a penalty.

“Let’s be right this was a great game of football and if it had been a boxing match we would have won on points. Who would argue with that? Are you telling us we were lucky to get a draw? We had more chances than they but it was a great game. A great derby, the best I have been involved in since I came here.” It was not the first time Moyes has failed to see eye to eye with Bennett. Last season the manager was hit by an FA charge after labelling the referee a “numpty”. The pair were set on a collision course again in the 33rd minute when Hyypia appeared to clip the heels of Tomas Radzinski with the striker set to bear down on Dudek’s goal.

And Moyes was equally insistent his side should have been awarded a spot-kick seconds before the interval when Carragher stuck up a hand in a crowded box and connected with Thomas Gravesen’s free-kick.

Both times the match official waved play on, but Moyes claimed video evidence backed up his claim that his side had been the victim of a major injustice.

“Hyypia should have been sent off,” said Moyes. “I don’t want to see players sent off but he definitely caught him. I have seen it on television and it looks as though it may be slightly accidental until you see that Hyypia looks at my player.

“And it was definitely a handball. For us to get something from Anfield we need to have those decisions go for us.”

At least the managers shared common ground when considering the outstanding, athletic displays of Martyn and Dudek. Martyn may have had more to do as Liverpool asserted themselves in the second half but he performed with the air of a man who would not have been beaten if the match had gone on until the next derby day.

Three times Martyn denied the superb Steven Gerrard and a breathtaking late stop from Carragher ensured Everton left Anfield with a cherished point.

And Dudek was Martyn’s equal, twice denying the colossal Everton skipper Alan Stubbs with acrobatic stops either side of the break. Moyes can justifiably claim that if, with the official’s assistance, Everton had made the breakthrough their first half efforts deserved, they may well have celebrated their first derby victory since 1999.

Helped by Hyypia and Stephane Henchoz’s woeful lack of pace, Radzinski and Wayne Rooney tormented the home side constantly.

Liverpool, driven on by the imperious Gerrard, looked equally potent and as the game wore on they ground down their neighbours but were unable to find a way past Martyn or the increasingly desperate Everton defence where Stubbs was an impressive pillar of stability.

“I enjoyed that,” said Houllier. And no-one at Anfield, with the possible exception of Moyes, would disagree.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:50 pm

Of course several parts of that article are bu11shit, I mean have a certain everton perspective
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:50 pm

It must be only Houllier and Wenger who don't moan...!!!!!
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:51 pm

True it is biased in favour of Eerton but its another exmple of Houllier not knowing when to keep his mouth shut.  Looks like he's hell bent on offending everybody this season.  Some of the players, the fans, other managers, the media, other clubs players and even a manager who's not even involved in premiership football.  If you got points for insulting people Houllier would be miles ahead.  As for not whinning :laugh: :laugh:
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:04 pm

Yeah we'll back the Everton Manager this season above our own. Nice touch.
115-1073096938

Postby greenred » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:07 pm

you would be happier in north korea stu,they would ban this site over there.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:15 am

Nobody here backed Moyes.Once again,stu,you fail to read what's written and instead make up your own slant on things.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:26 am

Stu I certainly was'nt backing anything Moyes said. But I would expect the manager of Liverpool to answer something like this;
' I have a great deal of respect for David Moyes he's working tirelessly to keep Everton out of the relegation dog fight, and obviously David has his own view of the game. I also have mine, thankfully the ref seen it the same way as me, I could add we should have capitalised on our chances but what's the point of worrying about that now, onwards to the next game and best of luck to Everton and David '
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:40 am

Yes I agree,but blinkers won't.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:28 pm

We only agree with certain parts of the article, but it was more the comment by Houllier which was the point. (also on ITV teletext p511 last time I checked)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:05 pm

Houllier's comment about whining British managers was awful.

Who are the two biggest whingers.........er, Wenger and Houllier.

For Houllier to say that 'if this had been a boxing match we would have won on points' was disgraceful.

Houllier is an idiot and increasingly an embarrassment to the club.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Honestly he's worse than Harry kewell is with the Australian media
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:43 pm

I can see how Houllier was annoyed by Moyes' comments about how Everton should have won the game given that they had 2 penalty positions turned down but Houllier is a vastly experienced manager who should no better than make stupid comments like he did on Saturday.

When Houllier came here in 1999 I thought he was a very smart man who knew how to handle the press but the comments he has made since 2003 have been bizarre and frankly disturbing at times.

Criticising British managers on British soil....talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Houllier was probably correct in that Peter Reid, Venables, George Graham, Graham Taylor, Strachen etc are/were terrible for berating refs etc but he should have kept his opinion to himself as it just gets him embroiled in a row that he doesn't need to be in.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Flea » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:02 pm

houllier has to leave liverpool didn't have good results for a moment...and it is unexeptable
Flea

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:05 am

All managers criticise refs and bad decisions, some more than others, but to single out British managers is just delusional
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion