Gerrard's updated book - Dont read this lando!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Gerrard: Benitez made mistakes
By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 12:49am BST 07/07/2007

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has hailed Rafa Benitez as an "outstanding" manager, lauding the Spaniard's "clever" handling of Jose Mourinho's mind games and his "tactical masterstrokes" against Chelsea and Barcelona in Europe.

Gerrard does, however, highlight "mistakes" he believes Benitez made on the night that led to Craig Bellamy's golf-club attack on John Arne Riise in Portugal and during this year's Champions League final when he felt Peter Crouch should have come off the bench earlier. Steve Heighway's departure as Liverpool's Academy director also angered Gerrard.

One of the performances of last season came at the Nou Camp on Feb 21 when Liverpool tore into the then European champions. "Rafa's game plan was to shock Barcelona," Gerrard writes in the paperback update of his autobiography out next week. "Barcelona felt Liverpool would be really negative. Rafa did the opposite."

Benitez's command to his players was simple: "Go for the jugular." The Liverpool manager ordered his team to attack Barcelona down the flanks, and use Bellamy's pace to embarrass the hosts' centre-backs, Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez. Bellamy and Riise both scored in a famous victory.

Gerrard claims that the media fuss over Bellamy's spat with Riise "fuelled our motivation" to excel in the Nou Camp. Benitez had taken the players away to Portugal to prepare for Barcelona. "We worked so well, doing double sessions, that one day Rafa called us together and announced, 'because you are training so well, go out, and have a meal and enjoy yourself'," Gerrard writes. "The manager is big on team spirit and he thought a night out would do us good. 'But I want you all back by midnight', he added. I felt immediately that this was a bit of a mistake on Rafa's behalf. If the manager had just left the time open, the players would have come in at a sensible hour. We went out quite late, which meant we were always going to struggle to meet Rafa's deadline. He should have given us more leeway. The decision came back to haunt him.

"When the karaoke gets started, all sense gets drowned out. I was partly to blame." Gerrard, the captain, failed to order the players back to the hotel, and things began to get out of hand between Bellamy and Riise. "I did notice a bit of handbags between Riise and Bellamy, which led to a bigger incident later on when Bellamy hit Riise with a golf club," he writes.

Gerrard's admiration for Benitez grew the following morning when the Liverpool manager summoned the players together. He criticised everyone for not coming in on time. He then fined Bellamy and Riise, encouraging them to shake hands and move on. "Rafa was brilliant," Gerrard says. "The manager's handling of the situation was spot-on."

The Liverpool captain once observed that his aim in life was "to get a 'well done' off Rafa", but his manager's refusal to toss garlands around cannot mask his brilliance in setting up a team for a European tie. Barcelona were greeted with "another tactical masterstroke from Rafa" as Liverpool sat deep, stifling Ronaldinho and company. Eidur Gudjohnsen scored late on, but little was seen of Barcelona's vaunted attacking strength.

Liverpool's semi-final with Chelsea was preceded by a rare outburst from Benitez, attacking Mourinho's presumption that he was the 'Special One'. "Straight in. Bang. Take that, Jose. He went to town on Jose. By stating that Liverpool's fans were the real Special Ones, Rafa was being really clever."

The Kop was at its fervent best when Mourinho's men visited. "Chelsea walked into a wall of noise," Gerrard adds. "And a classic sting." Benitez had worked his players on a special free-kick routine, and when Gerrard cut a free-kick back to Daniel Agger, Chelsea were caught out.

"Rafa had really done his homework on Chelsea," Gerrard writes. "While watching tapes of them, we noticed that when defending set-pieces in wide areas, they backed off. If you piled a lot of bodies into the box, distracting John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Essien, the pull-back was on. The manager drills us on dead-ball situations, day in, day out."

Agger's goal, and subsequent penalties, took Liverpool to the European Cup final against AC Milan. "Rafa came up with the right game-plan in Athens," recalls Gerrard, citing the manager's decision to swamp Milan's midfield with a 4-5-1 formation.

Liverpool fell behind despite dominating, and Gerrard writes: "In the second half, I expected some subs sharpish. I trust Rafa. The manager clearly had belief in the players who were on, but I was surprised Crouchy did not come on earlier. Not just Crouchy, any sub. We needed something different."

Liverpool lost and Gerrard admits he is "still numb" but he believes that with the new American owners - "classy guys with sharp business minds" - handing Benitez "the finance to strengthen, we can go from a good team to a great team"

As for Heighway, Gerrard observes that: "Steve is irreplaceable. No one works better with the kids from eight to 18.''

I agree with Stevie about Crouch coming on earlier in the CL FINAL and about Heighway being a loss, but if the manager feels for whatever reason he can't work with someone(or that someone else would be better) you have to back the manager. 

I just hope this update doesnt get the hate mob on his back again. (Hopefully it wont be serialised in the NOTW either.)

Edit - His updated book is being serialise in the Telegraph so at least he's learned one lesson  :)
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby destro » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:13 pm

I wasn't even aware he had done an updated book ?

My view is that he is entitled to his opinion just like anyone else ( maybe more so ? ), I just wish players would publish books AFTER they have finished their playing careers
destro

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:16 pm

destro wrote:I wasn't even aware he had done an updated book ?

My view is that he is entitled to his opinion just like anyone else ( maybe more so ? ), I just wish players would publish books AFTER they have finished their playing careers

Its out next week in paperback, I think everyone agrees that they are better left till they finish playing, but I suppose its hard to turn down money for nothing. I presume he has just updated it a bit to get more sales.

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:31 pm

we it agrees with what a of of us said about the CL final, things needed changing earlier
112-1077774096

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:13 pm

s@int wrote:
destro wrote:I wasn't even aware he had done an updated book ?

Its out next week in paperback, I think everyone agrees that they are better left till they finish playing, but I suppose its hard to turn down money for nothing. I presume he has just updated it a bit to get more sales.

well it's a potential banana skin for boss-player relationships... look how many players ferguson sold because of what has been said in autobiographies... maybe the player should give a heads-up to his manager on the content of what he's going to write...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SJD » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:26 pm

I think he's a tw.at for bringing out a book like that and I doubt Benitez will be happy.

He is entitled to his opinion but basically its a knock on the manager and if I was Rafa I'd tell him to keep his opinions to himself in future.
SJD

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:46 pm

SJD wrote:I think he's a tw.at for bringing out a book like that and I doubt Benitez will be happy.

He is entitled to his opinion but basically its a knock on the manager and if I was Rafa I'd tell him to keep his opinions to himself in future.

A book containing critisism of his current manager should have been left til after he has left the club.

Releasing a book like that can only have bad effects on the club and his relationship with the manager.

Who the F*ck does Gerrard think he is?
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:50 pm

this is a mistake.  Its a very dangerous game when players publically question the Manager?
puroresu

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:01 pm

If you take all the press hype out of the article, Gerrard hardly attacks Benitez. I am sure Benitez is also aware he makes the odd mistake and isn't perfect. Obviously the press will try to make the most of it (something Gerrard should be aware of also)to sell papers, no doubt to the delight of Gerrard's ghost writer, and Gerrard's accountants.

As for causing any problems between Gerrard and Rafa, I would seriously doubt it. Problems between Gerrard and Lando however......... :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm

s@int wrote:"The manager is big on team spirit and he thought a night out would do us good. 'But I want you all back by midnight', he added. I felt immediately that this was a bit of a mistake on Rafa's behalf. If the manager had just left the time open, the players would have come in at a sensible hour. We went out quite late, which meant we were always going to struggle to meet Rafa's deadline. He should have given us more leeway. The decision came back to haunt him.

I think this part is absolute nonsense. You have to set boundaries as a manager, especially if you are preparing for one of the biggest matches of the whole season.

I disagree with releasing any autobiographical info like this while a player is still active, it should be done after. There's no need for it other than to line his own pockets whilst he is a star player.
LFC2007

Postby lakes10 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm

there nothing bad in the update and nothing that will not upset Rafa. I am sure SG had more than this to Rafa's face on the night of the Final.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:09 pm

I’ve read through this topic and there seems to be some rather melodramatic responses to what Gerrard has written. He hasn’t committed an act of sacrilege and he hasn’t overly criticised Benitez or offered unconstructive opinions on Rafa’s decision making in the Champions League final.

Gerrard is more than entitled to his views and opinions and has a right to say how he truly feels. Most people want honesty, and then when honesty presents itself in its purest form, people quickly sweep it under the carpet and turn an eye or frown upon such actions.

Rafa is in a position where he will be scrutinised from every angle, every personnel involved within the game who knows about Rafa and Liverpool will have opinions on particular issues within the club and why should Gerrard be any different?

He hasn’t questioned Benitez’s management of the club, he questioned his tactics in one particular match and whether Benitez likes it or loathes it, he made catastrophic misjudgements in the Champions League final.

It’s good to have opinions from those on the inside, looking out as opposed to those on the outside, looking in.

The problem I have with Gerrard is he keeps adding more and more to his autobiography which is starting to get rather irritating.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby destro » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Like i said, i dont agree with players bringing out books hile they are still playing.

But Rafa isn't above question, OK as club captain it isn't a great idea to question his Managers decisions through the pages of a book.

He has said things that most of us have said on here regarding Rafa's tactics, yet all of a sudden Gerrard becomes a Tw@t, we say the same things because we care,because we love the club, he says them because he is a Tw@t ?!

Lets look at the criticism he is accused of

"I felt immediately that this was a bit of a mistake on Rafa's behalf. If the manager had just left the time open, the players would have come in at a sensible hour."

Is that such a damming criticism? or is hindsight really such a wonderful thing

"I trust Rafa. The manager clearly had belief in the players who were on, but I was surprised Crouchy did not come on earlier. Not just Crouchy, any sub. We needed something different."

He said he was surprised, its not as though he said Rafa hasn't got a clue and that he cost us the game. In the short section of this new book that has been posted on here, he made TWO points about Rafa's handling of TWO different situations, but the rest of it is made up of his admiration and respect for the Manager and his faith in his ability to get things right and get us back where we belong

He also briefly mentions Steve Heighway, a guy who, if you have read his original book , you would know he has a lot of respect for and owes him a hell of a lot, he spoke as a Liverpool fan when he mentioned the qualities Heighway had and the work he did for the kids ?

Hardly time to start burning his shirt at the Shankly Gates again is it.
destro

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:18 pm

destro wrote:Like i said, i dont agree with players bringing out books hile they are still playing.

But Rafa isn't above question, OK as club captain it isn't a great idea to question his Managers decisions through the pages of a book.

He has said things that most of us have said on here regarding Rafa's tactics, yet all of a sudden Gerrard becomes a Tw@t, we say the same things because we care,because we love the club, he says them because he is a Tw@t ?!

"I felt immediately that this was a bit of a mistake on Rafa's behalf. If the manager had just left the time open, the players would have come in at a sensible hour."

"I trust Rafa. The manager clearly had belief in the players who were on, but I was surprised Crouchy did not come on earlier. Not just Crouchy, any sub. We needed something different."

He said he was surprised, its not as though he said Rafa hasn't got a clue and that he cost us the game. In the short section of this new book that has been posted on here, he made TWO points about Rafa's handling of TWO different situations, but the rest of it is made up of his admiration and respect for the Manager and his faith in his ability to get things right and get us back where we belong

He also briefly mentions Steve Heighway, a guy who, if you have read his original book , you would know he has a lot of respect for and owes him a hell of a lot, he spoke as a Liverpool fan when he mentioned the qualities Heighway had and the work he did for the kids ?

Spot on destro , absolutley feck all to get excited about.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:24 pm

destro wrote:Like i said, i dont agree with players bringing out books hile they are still playing.

Nobody is saying that, but there is little need for it. If you are earning 100k+ a week not including endorsements, why even write an autobiography now?

If you haven't even finished your playing career, why write an autobiography of something that isn't complete?

...Because at this moment in time he can extract as much money as possible from it due to his status as a star player.

Why even risk the aggro it may cause? It draws attraction from the media, something we can do without, especially when we are just about to embark on one of the most crucial seasons in recent years.
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion