Feeder clubs - Beneficial in the long term?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:33 pm

I was speaking to a friend of mine earlier who is a Birmingham fan and in conversation he mentioned about Birmingham having a tie-up with Willem II in Holland. According to reports, this allows Brum to have some access to talent Holland and Belgium.

I believed we used to have one 'unofficial' feeder club in Crewe a few seasons back. We did send some young players there on loan before. However I don't believe we have ever had a foreign club as a feeder club (Would Le Harve count?). Man U has Royal Antwerp and some Brazilian team I think while Arsenal has Beveren and Chelsea has PSV (!) as feeder clubs. They send their young players out there on loan to get some experience or use them to get around work permit regulations. Sometimes they discover promising players from those teams as well and can pick them up cheaply.

Would it be beneficial for us to establish such a system? By having a network of feeder clubs all around the world we could therotically unearth some potential gems. We could also send some out of our more promising players out on loan to get experience and a feel of other playing styles. Maybe we could actually start in Spain, given Rafa's possible connections. Spain seems to have many young gifted players at the moment and wouldnt it be great if we could actually play a role in developing the next Alonso or Morientes? We could also technically have first option on these players!

What do you guys think? Good or bad idea? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:44 pm

:cool: Great idea Stmick, Spain and Holland I think for the market though.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:01 pm

stmichael wrote:I was speaking to a friend of mine earlier who is a Birmingham fan and in conversation he mentioned about Birmingham having a tie-up with Willem II in Holland. According to reports, this allows Brum to have some access to talent Holland and Belgium.

They missed a diamond in big Sami then didn't they? 

If Birmingham would have signed Sami, he would have shone and would have left them to go to a bigger club anyway, but they would have made a few million on him.
jonnymac1979

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:08 pm

One market which I'm surprised nobody has really got into is the Australia/New Zealand one. Lot's of players coming out of there just now and a couple of hundred grand donation to Melbourne Villa (or whatever they're called) to spend on their youth programme might be money well spent in five years.
On the subject of new players, did anybody see that Jarocik or whatever he's called for Chelski last night. Came on as sub and looked really good. 2.5 million, they are out there if you know where to look.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 pm

real madrid are our feeder club now :D  :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFCFan4Life » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:21 pm

:D
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Both Madrid and Barcelona have their own feeder clubs in Spain, those being essentially smaller clubs in the lower divisions where Madrid and Barca players routinely go on loan or make come backs from injury.

Man UTD also have some deal with Sporting Lisbon, although the term "feeder" club is a bit loose. PSV have a deal with Chelsea where Chelsea might have first option on PSV's players, while PSV will get to have one or two Chelsea players fromSouth America for a season or two.

For me, a club from the Benelux countries would be the best, as they are supposedly one of the easiest environments for extra-European (i.e. African and South American) to settle in. Their leagues are relatively weak in so far as your young player sent on loan there would always get a game, yet still strong enough for him to develop his game.

On one hand Bigmick makes a very good point about Australia, but on the other hand, the problem with Australian players is the craziness with international matches in the southern hemisphere.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:27 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Man UTD also have some deal with Sporting Lisbon, although the term "feeder" club is a bit loose.

There was a report that The Scum bought C.Ronaldo from Sporting Lisbon over us and Arsenal. We bid £3.4m, the same as Arsenal, but Utd bid a hell of a lot more, £12.1m (but most of that would have been agents fees)
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 pm

JBG it's probably only a matter of time that for all but competitive games, Australia will play all their games at Loftus Road as they have done a couple of times recently. After that, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to play all their home fixtures in a qualifying tournament over a three week period so you would lose the player for a similar amount of time that you would for say Copa America.
Given the money in domestic football these days the players will insist that the AFA does this before long so as not to put their livelyhoods in danger.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:49 pm

i thought Gh set up a feeder club in france when we got la tallec and pongelle i was pretty sure i also read about crewe offically being a feeder club for us something about us letting them use the accademy and so on, going back a few years now (when we first signed murphy) but pretty sure it wasnt another one of my wierd and wonderfull dreams that usually end up with pamela anderson and a liverpool away kit ....
ronmeister

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:50 pm

There is no doubt that Australia is potentially one of the strongest football nations in the World, as they are already one of the best sporting nations on the planet, and I think that football will really take off there in the next 10 years.

Yes, they'll play a few games in England, but competitive games alone involve 7 or 8 trips to the southern hemisphere (at least) a season. Going to and returning from a game would involve 3 or 4 days gruelling travelling.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:01 pm

It's not THAT gruelling JBG. I've been down-under a few times (arf-arf, the missus is a Kiwi) and I reckon it's overstated. 'Couple of Carlton colds into you and a 'four and twenty' steak pie and your all set for goodnights kip. Right as ninepence in the morning.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:01 pm

I know Aresnal is Bevren in Belguim dunno about any others.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:40 am

For getting youngsters and foreign imports some experience, I'd love to see us link up with Tranmere. I feel a lot more affinity with them than I do with Crewe, certainly.

I also think that a feeder club in Western Europe will be more useful than one in far flung and radically different climes like Oz or South America. With Benitez at the helm, a lower league Spanish team would be most likely, but I actually think that a link via the Swiss league would be well worth a look.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Paul C » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:58 am

Crewe produce more tallent than Tranmere :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion