Carragher - Long term for rafa?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby madred » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:07 pm

Noticed in the Chelsea topic that Lyndsey had made certain points about Carra remaining in Rafa's long term plans and it got me thinking about how every one else see's him now he is under manager no 3 at Liverpool. Personally i think Carra has alot of heart and gives his all for Liverpool but i have my doubts as to if he can keep his place in the side as a centre back when Rafa might want to eye up some quality from overseas in the not too distant future. I have actually jumped to the defence of him to a couple of my friends who say he is not going to be part of the setup soon. While i believe it wouldnt be great news Jamie not being part of the first team soon im starting to get a feeling it may happen soon? Opinions?
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:18 pm

Carrager will remain in the team until a time when Rafa feels someone else either deserves his place or new signings in the future are better than him basically. He will prob stay as a flexible important squad member for the length of another contract at least.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:32 pm

In the Jan window I fully expect Benitez to buy at least 1 central defender but that may not spell the end for Carra in my opinion. Carra mnay well keep his place or be preferred at Left Back.

One things for sure, if more LFC players had his passion and desire we would win a lot more games ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:23 am

Whether he's in the first 11 or not, Carragher's got an important role to play at this club. I've always thought his best position was at centre-back, and the longer he plays there the better he'll get. He's nothing if not consistent, which is exactly what you need at the back.

One angle people haven't explored is that Sami's form has been getting a little erratic over the last year or so, so it may well turn out that Carra outlasts Hyypia in the first team.
ivor_the_injun

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:34 am

im not sure about him, i've for a long time never fancied him, hes abit too slow for me and hes inconsisent at times, but we'll see what rb does with the team, to see how carragher fits in, hes a good back up player when rb brings in quality centre backs
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:35 am

hey mrcool you are a year old you know :D 

best get that sorted eh...
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby kindaconfused » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:45 am

Carragher is a good player so don't see the need for Raf not to keep him.
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:04 am

I will keep carra at all costs. He is improving as a centreback in each game he plays. Once his positioning improves, he will be better than hyppia in my opinion.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:32 am

While being a notch or two beneath top-class, I certainly agree with dalglish's point about his passion for the club. In truth, the England manager (I've just had about six goes at typing his name, I must be still ******) has him at fifth choice centre-back and thats about right in my view. Thats not to say though that he won't improve and the likelyhood is that ultimately he will outlast Hyppia.
There seems to be a consensus though that we need a centre-half, I certainly think so and said in an earlier post that for me its ledley King. Pace, power and youth rolled into one. Would cost a few quid but would have an instant impact on results IMHO. Back on subject, Jamie will probably be at Liverpool all his career and play all along the back line. One things sure, unlike a lot of players, not many fans would begrudge him a penny of his salary.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:46 am

Yep Ledley King and Ayala would be costly but what a platform to launch our new attacking philosphy from.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:17 am

Ledley King will be a great singing for us. The reason why spurs are not conceding goals is becos of him & robinson.

I get the feeling the arsenal will sign up as long-term replacement for sol campbell.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:46 am

Cant see spurs selling him to us ,spurs issue they where lucky yesterday there defence is solid but they are a bit borin to watch :Oo:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:49 am

They certainly wouldn't want to sell him but money talks CGGY. Plus that ENIC outfit are unscrupulous non-football men and a 10 mill bid bartered up to about 12.5 might just do the trick.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:55 am

Cant really see Raffa buying out the prem, I think his scouts probably tour spain to pick up bargains that have potential.
If he does raid valencia we will be the most envied club in the prem with Vincente, Alaya, mista.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:09 pm

Carra will keep his place as long as he is better equipped than the replacements to do the job.

He is the best choice to partner Sami right now, if some one better came in then he is a better left back than Riise and Traore, so it will be that position that he will fill.......

Carra was the leading league scorer as a striker in our local Sunday Junior Leagues, so Milan and Djibril may be watching their backs as well....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion