FABIO BORINI- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm underwhelmed by this signing I'm afraid. In fact I think it's the most underwhelming first signing of any Liverpool manager. If Josemi was Rafa's, Jovanovic was Hodgson's and Suarez was Kenny's well this has to be the most low key of the lot in terms of expectations.

9/10 goals in Serie A is not prolific not particularly impressive particularly given that he was discarded from Chelsea's academy and only scored 6 goals a couple of seasons ago in the championship for Rodgers old team.

Essentially though the problem here is that Borini has presumably been bought to play up front in a three with Suarez and I assume Downing or Bellamy because Andy Carroll can't fulfill that role. If Borini had been bought as backup for Suarez and Carroll in the 4-4-2 formation from last season it might work if he could just get into double figures.

The issue here is that Rodgers won't play 4-4-2 and doesn't look as if he intends to vastly improve the creative side of the team which on last season is where a lot of the problems lie. Playing 4-3-3 on the hoof like Chelsea do counter attack and all that might work without more creativity.

To my mind though Borini isn't the answer long term and I'm not going to be fooled by a few youtube videos of him scoring last season for Roma to believe that he's going to replicate that week in week out in the premiership. Few foreign strikers particularly from Italy flourish in England. Drogba scored only 6 premiership goals in his first season in England and he cost £24 million. Even Suarez only managed 11 last season.

I've seen too many average players come and go in the last few years to believe that this guy isn't going to be anything other than another Sean Dundee or Voronin.
friendlyguy33

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:08 pm

One thing which should work in our favour is the fact that he has already worked with Rodgers a few times so it's safe to say the manager already has a good relationship with him. Hopes he settles in and starts banging in the goals for us.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 pm

friendlyguy33 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 pm wrote:I'm underwhelmed by this signing I'm afraid. In fact I think it's the most underwhelming first signing of any Liverpool manager. If Josemi was Rafa's, Jovanovic was Hodgson's and Suarez was Kenny's well this has to be the most low key of the lot in terms of expectations.

9/10 goals in Serie A is not prolific not particularly impressive particularly given that he was discarded from Chelsea's academy and only scored 6 goals a couple of seasons ago in the championship for Rodgers old team.

Essentially though the problem here is that Borini has presumably been bought to play up front in a three with Suarez and I assume Downing or Bellamy because Andy Carroll can't fulfill that role. If Borini had been bought as backup for Suarez and Carroll in the 4-4-2 formation from last season it might work if he could just get into double figures.

The issue here is that Rodgers won't play 4-4-2 and doesn't look as if he intends to vastly improve the creative side of the team which on last season is where a lot of the problems lie. Playing 4-3-3 on the hoof like Chelsea do counter attack and all that might work without more creativity.

To my mind though Borini isn't the answer long term and I'm not going to be fooled by a few youtube videos of him scoring last season for Roma to believe that he's going to replicate that week in week out in the premiership. Few foreign strikers particularly from Italy flourish in England. Drogba scored only 6 premiership goals in his first season in England and he cost £24 million. Even Suarez only managed 11 last season.

I've seen too many average players come and go in the last few years to believe that this guy isn't going to be anything other than another Sean Dundee or Voronin.

I dont think its underwhelming and the main issue could be what kind of players people expect the club to bring in.

Unfortunately a huge amount of money was thrown in last year with no return and we are not getting that back any time soon and
this means the club has had to adjust its finances accordingly.

Its not just player recruitment that has failed either with the club having to fork out big money to pay off management and backroom
staff in their droves.

This year is about Rodgers getting the best from the lads we have who continously under performed last year and changing the style of
play then adding a few low risk investment buys like Borini to compliment the new system.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:29 pm

friendlyguy, stop being a sillyguy. borini scored those 6 goals in 9 matches. maybe its 'only' the championship but its not too shabby.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alwayslfc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I don't know this lad prior to him being linked to us. And just watching the goals scored in youtube in his Roma days is not a true assessment of is ability. Only time will tell. Since B.R. had worked with him twice, at Chelsea and later at Swansea, he must have been impressed by the lad. For those who are not happy with this signing, you must know that Liverpool cannot attract all the R.V.P., Aguero, etc anymore. So this lad is worth the risk considering he cost much much lower than 35 million.
alwayslfc

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:50 pm

he`s not a big risk because he only cost around £10m which isnt that much these days.
it`s a big ask though for a 21 year old to come into the prem and to start ripping up tree`s, i was reading as well that he wasnt considered a regular at roma but he did have some really good players in front of him in the pecking order (i havent a clue who they are, dont watch italian footy) and he was in the euro squad but that was because some italian lad who played for man u ( surely not that marcheda or whatever his name is?) pulled out with injury.
saying that we do create a lot of opportunities, even under kenny we created more chances than anyone else and hit the woodwork more than anyone else so if this lad is a goal poacher he should have a field day.
at the end of the day we needed this type of player in the squad, at times there was talk about taking kevin phillips or the lad from rangers boyd on loan because everyone knew we were missing this type of player.
we`ve got one now, he`s got potential and didnt cost the earth.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Liverpool FC fans will love Fabio Borini says Brendan Rodgers

LIVERPOOL FC boss Brendan Rodgers is backing Fabio Borini to become a Kop idol after signing the striker from Roma.
The Northern Irishman has expressed his delight at being reunited with the 21-year-old Italian who he worked with at both Chelsea and Swansea.

Borini has penned a long term deal with the Reds and Rodgers believes he will be a big hit with the club’s supporters

“I was very keen to bring him here,” said Rodgers. “Fabio fits the model of what we’re trying to do in building not only for now, but also for the future.

“He’s a big talent, 21 years of age, he scores goals, and his passion, focus and concentration is a very important part of his game.

“I’ve known him since he had just turned 16. We (Chelsea) took him in from Bologna and he progressed incredibly well as a young player to go on to play for the first team at Chelsea.

“It didn’t work out in terms of he couldn’t agree a contract, but before he left I took him on loan to Swansea and he made a big impression there and really helped us in our promotion charge that season.

“He left and went away (to Roma) and in the last season he’s done incredibly well.

“I think the supporters will love him. He’s a goalscorer, but he’s a multifunctional player who can play in a number of positions – and someone I believe has got great growth.

“He’s one of the few young players in the full Italian squad. I’d anticipate that over the next two or three years he’ll really progress and I’m sure do very well for Liverpool.”

*More on Borini: He's exactly what Reds need says Jan Molby

Borini played eight first team games for Chelsea prior to a loan spell at Swansea towards the end of the 2010/11 season when he scored six goals in 12 appearances.

Rodgers is convinced that experience of English football will stand him in good stead for the challenges ahead.

“I think the adaptation will be much easier,” he said. “I believe he’ll feel as though he’s coming home because his formative years as a young player were here in Britain and the game in this country suits him.

“He’s technically strong, he’s a good finisher with both feet, he can play central or on the sides in a 4-3-3 up front, he’s quick, and he’s tactically very good.

“He is arguably the best physical player I’ve worked with in terms of his pace, power and fitness.

“Mentally, he’s very strong. We’ve got a player who is on the up and someone who I think Liverpool will benefit from.”

Rodgers believes the fact Liverpool were able to lure one of Italy’s brightest prospects to Anfield speaks volumes about the club’s ability to attract players.

“To leave a club like Roma having done very well for them and having just completed a transfer shows the pull we have as a football club,” he added.

“Roma is one of the world’s big clubs so for him to leave there having done very well, and for Roma to fight to get him in, just shows the incredible pull Liverpool Football Club has.

“I don’t want to put any unnecessary pressure on him.

“I believe he’s one who can impact now but he still has a lot of learning, growth and a lot to achieve in the game.

“This is a great environment for him to come into. It’s a coaching environment, and it’s a club which is historic.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/07/14/liverpool-fc-fans-will-love-fabio-borini-says-brendan-rodgers-100252-31392924/

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

So far this guy is encouraging... with finishing skills like insaghi and workman like attitude of dirk kuyt?

In Brendan we trust  :buttrock
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm

andy_g » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm wrote:friendlyguy, stop being a sillyguy. borini scored those 6 goals in 9 matches. maybe its 'only' the championship but its not too shabby.

I'm not being silly. 6 goals in 9 matches in the championship? So what. I would rather we spent £15 million this summer on someone like Kevin Doyle who has scored consistently in championshipa and in the premiership and would be far more likely to give us a bit more depth in attack.
friendlyguy33

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm

15 mil on Kevin Doyle! I've heard it all now. Brilliant.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:37 pm

john craig » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:26 pm wrote:15 mil on Kevin Doyle! I've heard it all now. Brilliant.

If Carroll leaves in the next few weeks and Borini is missing chances and Liverpool lose the first three home games and continue last season's decline I won't be the one calling for Brendan's head.
friendlyguy33

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 pm

You probably will mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:45 pm

His eyes tell me that he will score in double figures this season
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:52 pm

friendlyguy33 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 pm wrote:If Josemi was Rafa's, Jovanovic was Hodgson's and Suarez was Kenny's well this has to be the most low key of the lot in terms of expectations.

You're off your f'ucking rocker, sunshine.
LFC2007

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 pm

It's a good signing of a young guy with lots of potential who has shown a couple times he can become a good player but I will disappointed if he is the highlight of the summer buys( and the exciting signing Rodgers alluded too ) - hopefully he is the first. Will look forward to watching him develop. The financial package ( fee and wages ) seems very good and the risk isn't too big.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion