Fa would have to choose between us and everton - If we win the cl

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby cptrios » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:15 pm

From Soccernet.com:

No extra place for Liverpool - UEFA

LONDON, April 25 (Reuters) - England will face an agonising choice likely to be between the two Merseyside rivals for the Champions League next season if Liverpool win the trophy in May.

'It's not possible to have more than four places,' a spokesman for European body UEFA said on Monday dismissing any chance that England might be handed a fifth berth in the continent's top club competition.

Liverpool are fifth in the premier league and still on course for their fifth European Cup crown. They meet Chelsea in the first leg of their semi-final in London on Wednesday.

The top four in the premier league will qualify for the Champions League next season but if Liverpool are the holders the Football Association will have to chose between them and the fourth team, at present their city rivals Everton who are three points ahead of them with a game in hand.

The FA said earlier on Monday as saying it had already broached the subject with UEFA.

The spokesman, however, said the FA had not to his knowledge brought up the subject officially with UEFA and such a request would be turned down in any case.

'It's in the (UEFA) regulations,' he said. 'The country (in question) has to decide between the fourth-placed team (in the domestic league) or the title holders (of the European Cup).'

He said Spain had faced with the same dilemma five years ago and opted to allow European Cup holders Real Madrid, who had finished fifth in Primera Liga, to defend their title and entered fourth-placed Real Zaragoza in the UEFA Cup.

A source close to the English game said: 'In a way we would be penalised for our own success. If we had three spots (in the competition) we would get the extra place. It's only countries with four that don't get the extra place.'

Clearly the only thing to do in that situation would be to have a playoff between the two teams in, say, the Millenium Stadium. As much as I hate them, I can imagine the amount of anger I'd feel if I were an Everton fan and they got passed over for us after their team putting in all the effort to make fourth. A playoff would be the only fair thing to do, and it'd be a big moneymaker to boot. And let's be honest, Everton's only going to be an embarrassment to England and the PL. Dammit how awesome would is it going to be if they have to make this choice in the first place ?!
cptrios

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:14 pm

Well to me if we win it it is a simple choice. It would be embarresing for english football if the team that won the competition didn't qualify to defend their title. Who would want to watch everton in the champions league any way HOOF!!!! They wouldn't even get past the qualifying round.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:14 pm

This is a disgrace.

I've ALWAYS said the only entries into this compitition should be league winners and the compitition winners.

It doesn't matter weather the compitition winners are relegated the season after, they should have an automatic right to defend there trophy and this is something i've said for aslong as i can remember and not something i've made up because we're about to win the CL and finish 6th :)
115-1073096938

Postby L-type » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:19 pm

Does the winner of the uefa cup get entry into the next years Champions League??
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:20 pm

Bullshi1t, this shouldn't be hard to decide. Had this been Man Utd and somebody else we all know that they would give Man Utd the green light without even thinking about it, w@nkers.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:30 pm

A.B. wrote:Bullshi1t, this shouldn't be hard to decide. Had this been Man Utd and somebody else we all know that they would give Man Utd the green light without even thinking about it, w@nkers.

Add Arsenal, chelsea, real, and AC Milan to that list A.B. there wouldnt even be a case they would just put them in it should they fail to qualify.
I am aware that the BS have been kicking up a fuss over being banned through heysel thats why this is happening now. :angry:
Let them f@ckin have it and get tw@tted by someone like Lokomotiv Mosko in the UEFA cup and we will still be in it. :angry:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF TO THE TAMPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:13 am

I've ALWAYS said the only entries into this compitition should be league winners and the compitition winners.It doesn't matter weather the compitition winners are relegated the season after, they should have an automatic right to defend there trophy

Agrees but maybe times have change. Look at World Cup for next year. Brazil have to go thru right from beginning .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby L-type » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:18 am

So basically the decision was just Uefa deferring the decision to the FA ?  Bunch of pussies over there.  First they give italy a slap on the wrists, and then they won't pass judgement.  I'll never understand how there fools get elected...
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:21 am

stu_the_red wrote:This is a disgrace.

I've ALWAYS said the only entries into this compitition should be league winners and the compitition winners.

It doesn't matter weather the compitition winners are relegated the season after, they should have an automatic right to defend there trophy and this is something i've said for aslong as i can remember and not something i've made up because we're about to win the CL and finish 6th :)

Totally agree ,
The holder of any title should always ,whatever their situation  be entitled to defend it ! . Is that just an old fashioned english idea ? . (of sportsmanship  ) .

:kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:26 am

Clutching at straws though here people.

We have had umpteen chances to take 4th spot and not taken them.

At the start of the season, we all knew it was 4th place, and whoever finishes there will deserve to be in the CL next season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 am

We should concentrate on the semi. Win the cup first then we can talk awho should qualify for th next year CL. Even it's not confirmed yet Everton will get 4th....
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Its not in the competition rules that the holders will defend and thats why the FA spoke to UEFA to ask for an extra place should the situation arise.

It is however in the Premiership rules that 4th placing gets you an entry to the Champions League.  Again why the FA etc etc

The reason for this debate IMO is that say we win the cL and Everton get 4th. Then the FA back us as holders.  Everton are in a position to sue for loss of earnings and being mislead.  If the FA back Everton we are not in a favourable legal position.

So if this situation arises can you honestly see Everton not taking action against the league.  Forget the rivalry for one minute.  The need money and I get the impression that their charlatan of a chairman is hanging on by a thread financially.  Kendall was moaning on the BBC web site this morning and saying how we denied them Europe twenty years ago.

Things have been weird this year.  he 1978 and 1981 comparisons, ok you can make something out of nothing a lot but us gettinh Juventus, and we might deny Everton the CL again and weak people in charge of the game (well that never changes).  I can see us winning the CL and Everton coming 4th and one orrible nasty legal battle in the summer which unfortunately I think Everton will win it

They might not be there next year looking for a CL place again.  And the bottom line of money which they need.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:45 pm

they will choose us, even if we dont win the cl and dont finish 4th :D , coz everton are sh'it
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:47 pm

It seems quiet clear to me.

If we win the FA will nominate us.

If we don't then Everton will be in.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 pm

i dont see how it is a hard choice for the FA to make, if we win the champions league then we deserve the right to defend it. It makes no sense not having the competition winners in the competition!
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion