Midfielders - Who would you choose?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mart » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 am

Essien is top class, but Rooney always looks way overrated to me.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 am

If we sign another defensive midfielder i'm shaving off my Rafa tribute beard. We must be the only team with who havE spent more on the players in that position than we have on forwards. It's unreal.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Festy » Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Who told you we are signing another defensive mid stmichael ? You have lost the plot. :D
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 09, 2009 2:56 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:Who said Rooney was just a "good" player, overrated? We on about Wayne Rooney here not some bloke who plays for Stockport or something? I must confess he's a thoroughly dislikeable little ponce in his Man Utd garb (although he seems a reasonable enough fella in real life from what I read) and he's a bit horrible on a football pitch, but surely nobody can dispute he's a good player can they? I haven't read that one, you do get some strange views on here sometimes.

If you can watch Rooney play, and come to the conclusion that he isn't an excellent footballer at the very least, then it's hard to know how to form a sensible argument against that.

was our very own footballing expert Lando ... Apparently Essien and Rooney are sh!t  ...

Quote (bavlondon @ May 04 2009,20:37)
Rooney should have been really playing for Ireland too.

Lando:

If he DID play for Ireland, this myth that he's some wonder-player would never have been dreamed up.

He's the most overrated shock of sh*te I have ever seen waddle on a football field.

Im sorry Sabre i know you and Lando now share a special relationship and all that but i truely cant help but find his footballing knowledge laughable at best...

He didn't score a competitive goal for England for 3 years, despite playing virtually every game and having the team built around him.

The lad has ability, but is wildly overrated. Put him in a side like Ireland, and that would be all the more apparent. That is the truth of the matter.

Sorry but i think you have been blinded by the hatred with Man utd and Chelsea. To say that Rooney and Essien are top class players is ridiculous IMO

I'd edit that if I were you...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat May 09, 2009 10:59 am

I was dubious towards Essien at the off, when he signed for the chavs, but he is someone I'd have in our side. I think Chelsea missed Essien bigtime, he played just TWICE in August and not again until March when Chelsea have picked up their form a bit - put down to a change in manager, maybe not all down to that.

ESSIEN (CHELSEA) 08/09

August : P2 W1 D1 L0 F2 A1 (0 goals)
March : P4 W2 D1 L1 F5 A3 (2 goals)
April : P7 W4 D3 L0 F12 A6 (0 goals)
May : P2 W1 D1 L0 F4 A2 (1 goal)

Chelsea have lost only one of the 15 games he's played this season, that away to spudz where none of the 'big four' have won this season. He's also chipped in with three goals, only been booked the once.

As for Rooney, I don't like his attitude and I think he has the ability to be even better and score more goals, but he is one of the best English players and Premiership players. If he played for Ireland (Republic or Northern) they would have so much more of a cutting edge. Just imagine Rooney alongside Healy, I reckon Northern Ireland would qualify for their first competition since 1986. Republic have plenty of decent players, with quality, a boy who can score goals and create, they too should be in with a good chance of stepping up a place or two in qualifiers and getting to finals.

I wish we had Rooney and Essien, although Rooney without a tainted past might be preferable. Skillwise I reckon he could play that LWF role in the way I reckon would push us close to the title. And Essien might add a better balance to our holding midfield, he's scored 17 goals for Chelsea already and hasn't he filled in at RB? (and played CB at Anfield in 06/07) Of course he is African so we'd have the problem of losing him for the ACN at an inconvenient time, not that we don't lose Mascherano to Argentina and the olympics when it suits him. We'd probably lose Rooney to suspension more than we should too, but both would be excellent additions to our team/squad
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 am

Top Midfielders in the World for me presently are

1.Kaka
2.Iniesta
3.Gerrard
4.Lampard
5.Xavi
6.Essien.

No particular order.

Also Essien is world Class in my eyes and has shown it on a consistent basis both at Lyon and Chelsea .Its no surprise that chelseas good run of form stopped when he get injured then started again when he was fit again .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 am

Mirror today reporting that we are set to sign Daniel Pranjic

Liverpool on verge of singing Daniel Pranjic

If this is true then I doubt we will sign Silva.
Last edited by tubby on Mon May 11, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 am

bavlondon wrote:Mirror today reporting that we are set to sign Daniel Pranjic

I dont understand why are we signing these cr@ps  :veryangry  another 8 million on a squad player  :angry:  :no  :down:
RobinHood6969

Postby RobinHood6969 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:35 am

GYBS wrote:Top Midfielders in the World for me presently are

1.Kaka
2.Iniesta
3.Gerrard
4.Lampard
5.Xavi
6.Essien.

No particular order.

Also Essien is world Class in my eyes and has shown it on a consistent basis both at Lyon and Chelsea .Its no surprise that chelseas good run of form stopped when he get injured then started again when he was fit again .

My list:
1. Steven Gerrard
2.Kaka
3.Xavi
4.Iniesta
5.Essien
6.Lampard
7.Alonso
8.Cesc
9.Pirlo
10.De Rossi

Edited
RobinHood6969

Postby GYBS » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 am

Only one i would disagree with is totti who is a forward - striker .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 11, 2009 11:00 am

RobinHood6969 wrote:

I dont understand why are we signing these cr@ps  :veryangry  another 8 million on a squad player  :angry:  :no  :down:

I've not seen much of him but I don't see how he is an improvment over Riera. Or Downing for that matter. But id rather have Downing over this guy.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 am

bavlondon wrote:
RobinHood6969 wrote:

I've not seen much of him but I don't see how he is an improvment over Riera. Or Downing for that matter. But id rather have Downing over this guy.

Yes.. We already have riera.. what we need is a player with class...
RobinHood6969

Postby RobinHood6969 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 am

GYBS wrote:Only one i would disagree with is totti who is a forward - striker .

Yeah thought of putting de rossi in there.. But totti came when i typed  :)
RobinHood6969

Postby red_guy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am

RobinHood6969 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
RobinHood6969 wrote:

Yes.. We already have riera.. what we need is a player with class...

Riera is good enough for me, i don't know about this guy though... we should sign Tevez. He can still perform well while being treated like :censored: by that red nose d1ck. Just imagine how he would perform if he's happy with his situation at the club. A true pro. Having his best friend , mascha here would definitely help.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:45 am

I just can't understand why we are being linked with average players like Pranjic. He's not even young FFS (28 years). :veryangry We have wasted enough money in the last 4-5 seasons on cr@p, average, middle of the table club players.

EDIT: Reira is good. We need a player for whom Riera becomes a back-up, not backup for Riera FFS.  :no
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion