I know its early - Its early for gods sake

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:02 pm

I havent started a topic for a long time but I feel compelled to after reading some of the topics on here.  Now I dont want this to be a "Taff is in the glass half full camp" but lets just relax and look at the "season" so far

We havent lost in the league.  With the new signings etc and we havent particularly set the world on fire so far but the fact remains that we havent lost.  After Derby the league was a certainty, Man Utd terrible start, Chelsea hitting the self destruct button and Arsenal without that Mr Henry guy.  Now its a different story, a crazy Spaniard rotating too much and its all over.  ITS ONLY JUST OCTOBER. 

The CL, well we were bad no excuses.  What else can I say to be honest.  Just hope we get the points in the rest of the games and other results go our way.

I have genuine optimism this season as we have a strong squad and the old cliche of it being a marathon not a sprint.  Take the genius of Sven, will he be competing for CL place next April,  while people will ridicule that statement why then do we doubt Liverpools longevity for the season.

I am not happy with everything and some players do get on my nerves but Ive seen enough seasons now to know not to get wound up before xmas, and this year I will put money on us being in the race come the new year.

Dont fall for the media hype as it changes daily.  Imagine the headlines next May if we are top with calls for Ferguson etc to rotate more and stop being naive that you need a squad and rotation etc etc etc.   

I trust Rafa of course but he will make mistakes.  We sometimes get rose tinted about the past.  I recommend you look at previous seasons in detail, Liverpool and other clubs who won the league and look at how tight it generally is and the mini slumps etc that EVERYBODY goes through.  Paisley, genius that he was also had little slumps and mini crisis times but a season summary showing goals will not paint that picture.

To summarise:  If I am either right or wrong bring this post up around April, I stand by my belief that we will be there.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:14 pm

That's an excellent post.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Sabre wrote:That's an excellent post.

No its not...another " In Rafa we trust"kind of b0llock. The team looks haplessand at this rate we Wnt be anywhere near where you think we will be.
club_Levis

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Great post Taff.

Nice to see an established member showing some sense.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:32 pm

club_Levis wrote:

No its not...another " In Rafa we trust"kind of b0llock. The team looks haplessand at this rate we Wnt be anywhere near where you think we will be.

Then we ressurect this post towards the end of the season and one of us will be apologising publicly
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:33 pm

club_Levis wrote:

Its not a bad post, I think the Welshman is trying to put a more optimistic perspective on things, and fair play to him really.

It does seem a little bit moaney around here at times, (I'm a culprit) but after that display against the French who can blame us for being angry.

Anyway nice post Taffy.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Good post Taff. I suppose if anything I am in the glass half empty camp. We had a great chance this season to take the league by storm. Lots of winnable games to get us rolling, we looked like we were ready with Torres seemingly the answer to all our prayers. Mancs struggling, Chelsea seemingly falling on their sword, and only Arsenal looking like matching our pace. A couple of short weeks later and it looks like Armaggedon. Poor performances in both league and cup have cost us our great start, or at least allowed the Mancs to catch up, and Arsenal to move ahead.

You can rationalise it how you like, but the truth is we have played more "easy" games than our rivals, our form is poor, we are struggling for goals with only Torres of our forwards looking likely to get the 15+ Rafa wants at the moment. We have some hard games coming up, no Agger or Alonso, and when they do get fit no doubt they will need games to get their form back. We have lost our fitness coach and Assistant Manager, and Gary McCallister seems bound for Chelsea instead of joining us.

Luckily I believe we can turn things around, a good win on Sunday and things will start to look a little better. Gerrard should soon be back to his best after losing a bit of form due to his injury, Agger , Alonso and Kewell should soon be back, while the Mancs have lost Carrick for a few weeks.

I think we have the best chance for years of winning the league this season, we just have to take it with both hands.
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm

I am in this camp 'we'll have a good run in december followed by some dissapointing results in early Jan, followed by the "rotation" policy paying off in Feb-Mar' feck the ECL, number 19 baybeee :buttrock

I'll join the despondancy(sp) class of 07-08 at the end, maybe.
Last edited by babu on Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
club_Levis wrote:

Its not a bad post, I think the Welshman is trying to put a more optimistic perspective on things, and fair play to him really.

It does seem a little bit moaney around here at times, (I'm a culprit) but after that display against the French who can blame us for being angry.

Anyway nice post Taffy.

I don't blame you for being angry. Myself I was putting  :no this face when I saw some things in the game, sometimes I was  :angry: and sometimes  :( .

And it's fair saying we didn't play as expected. And it's fair to say you don't believe on rotation. Or team selection. But we should not forget that what we are watching is the current form, not the usual form we are going to see this season.

The we're on top reactions when we were first, were just the opposite, we shouldn't give it much importante in September to being first, nor too much importance to a bad performance.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
club_Levis wrote:

Anyway nice post Taffy.

I don't blame you for being angry. Myself I was putting  :no this face when I saw some things in the game, sometimes I was  :angry: and sometimes  :( .

And it's fair saying we didn't play as expected. And it's fair to say you don't believe on rotation. Or team selection. But we should not forget that what we are watching is the current form, not the usual form we are going to see this season.

The we're on top reactions when we were first, were just the opposite, we shouldn't give it much importante in September to being first, nor too much importance to a bad performance.

True ......... I suppose.  :D

But a poor performance, and a loss is hard to swallow though.
66-1112520797

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:55 pm

It’s a good post and I share the opinion that there is no need to panic as it’s only October and I too share the view that Liverpool will challenge for the title this season.

I feel the post also has undertones of ‘let’s all rally behind Rafa and question him come the end of the season’. Rafa is in a position where he will be scrutinised throughout each and every campaign.

I’ve always praised and criticised Rafa when I have been satisfied and dissatisfied with his decisions. If I put the season into perspective, then the team has progressed well, with slight hindrance in between.

I can’t speak for everyone, but the reason I am not 100% supportive of Rafa at the moment is because I feel he has given me little reason to do so. 67 rotations in 12 matches, a poor team selection for Portsmouth and the stubborn behaviour which bought Gerard Houllier’s reign to a bitter end are the main gripes I have with the manager so far this season.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Red Dotty » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:57 pm

taff wrote:I havent started a topic for a long time but I feel compelled to after reading some of the topics on here.  Now I dont want this to be a "Taff is in the glass half full camp" but lets just relax and look at the "season" so far

We havent lost in the league.  With the new signings etc and we havent particularly set the world on fire so far but the fact remains that we havent lost.  After Derby the league was a certainty, Man Utd terrible start, Chelsea hitting the self destruct button and Arsenal without that Mr Henry guy.  Now its a different story, a crazy Spaniard rotating too much and its all over.  ITS ONLY JUST OCTOBER. 

The CL, well we were bad no excuses.  What else can I say to be honest.  Just hope we get the points in the rest of the games and other results go our way.

I have genuine optimism this season as we have a strong squad and the old cliche of it being a marathon not a sprint.  Take the genius of Sven, will he be competing for CL place next April,  while people will ridicule that statement why then do we doubt Liverpools longevity for the season.

I am not happy with everything and some players do get on my nerves but Ive seen enough seasons now to know not to get wound up before xmas, and this year I will put money on us being in the race come the new year.

Dont fall for the media hype as it changes daily.  Imagine the headlines next May if we are top with calls for Ferguson etc to rotate more and stop being naive that you need a squad and rotation etc etc etc.   

I trust Rafa of course but he will make mistakes.  We sometimes get rose tinted about the past.  I recommend you look at previous seasons in detail, Liverpool and other clubs who won the league and look at how tight it generally is and the mini slumps etc that EVERYBODY goes through.  Paisley, genius that he was also had little slumps and mini crisis times but a season summary showing goals will not paint that picture.

To summarise:  If I am either right or wrong bring this post up around April, I stand by my belief that we will be there.

Top post mate and at last like some of the other comments nice to see people are looking on the bright side.

i have found myself not posting of late as it seems to have been if you are trying to maintain a positive view and look at where we are at the moment to the last few season some people out there who have been involved in this forum for years jump straight on your back and make themselves out to be experts and to be honest offensive to fellow fans.

:no

I agree we will be there at the end of the season Raffa has and will always stick by his rotation policy as he feels it will give him the edge towards the end of the season, (and no i have not just taken that from the papers) and i do think Paco leaving has had it's effect on the club but it will settle down and who knows we might get someone in just as good after all the Manc scum were worring when Mclaren left Alex ferg side.

We have a big period coming up involving Arsenal coming to Anfield and i fully expect us to beat them and maybe put a holt to there good run of late.

CL well we have had fantastic times in that of late and if this season does not end up being ours in that competition well so be it. We will win it again, although i am not giving up hope before i get jumped on about that.

Bit dissapointed of late with the form but lets get our blip out the way know and see what happens later in the season

Come on the Reds

And for What it's fecking worth to all of you that hate this comment shove it up your :censored:

IN RAFFA I FECKING DO TRUST

:bowdown
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Judge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:59 pm

taff wrote:
club_Levis wrote:

Then we ressurect this post towards the end of the season and one of us will be apologising publicly

not me  :angry:

nice post taff  :p   :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:59 pm

Good level headed post..
Im sure none of us are delighted with our few stale draws in the league and our shock defeat at home in the Champions League.
But we are hardly in a crisis..on the flipside to play so poorly in the league and still not loose could be looked on as positive.Lets face it the team really cant play much worse and when they start playing well..what will the results be like then??

Some serious over reactions on here to a few unexpected results..Im still optomistic for the season ahead and think we will be challenging for the title at the end.I also expect us to bounce back and qualify for the knockout stages for the C/L.

Yes there has been maybe a bit too much 'rotation' but the manager has to give people a chance otherwise what are they at the club for?
Only in competitive matches can he see what the likes of Leto etc have to offer.Im not saying Rafa is always right and i agree with all his decisions,but at times the reaction to the manager on here has been shameful..Its easy to use the overused scapegoat of a word to beat the manager after a bad result but at the end of the day does rotation cause to name a few Sissoko to play like Sunday league player?
Or Gerrard to perform as a shadow of himself? I dont think so!

Anyway the squad and the manager should stand or fall together as they are all a team!

No one was asked to do more than anyone else...we were a team.We shared the ball,we shared the game,we shared the worries....Bill Shankly said that,it could be applied today but then maybe some people have allowed themselves to be manipulted and influenced in their judgements by the press and so called 'pundits'

What im saying is by all means if you want to shi't on Rafa but sh'it on the players too because they are in it together!
The Grudge

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Sensebale post Taff.

"Everybody must take responsibility for that defeat, me, the players, the staff, everyone. But I accept that the main responsibility is mine." - Benitez

I just wanted to post that in case someone went on about how Benitez is too arrogant to admit that he's made mistakes.

Or that he's become like Houllier and is putting the blame elsewhere and not on himself.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion