Does anyone want pongelle back? - His had a fantastic season.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby EddieC » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:41 am

lawrenson_sarah wrote:I dont think hes right for Liverpool

We do need a top striker though... someone like Van nistleroy was for Man u, Drogba for Chelsea... someone with a good first touch (Unlike Kuyt) and someone who can score goals game after game

TBH I think Kuyt's done better this season than Drogba did in his first at sh!tski.

I agree he could have done a lot better, but he's gotta have at least another season. Imagine we sell him in the summer to another prem club, he gets settled & starts banging in thirty goals a season?

It would be lovely to bring in a striker like Van Nistelrooy who hits the ground running, banging them in from day one. Fact is though, most strikers are gonna be more like Drogba, taking a season or two to settle in before they start netting on a regular basis.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:43 am

Squad player, maybe but he had his chance and didnt really shine.

With the money Rafa has in the summer and the players he should bring in there should be no place for him anyway
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 am

We do need a top striker though... someone like Van nistleroy was for Man u, Drogba for Chelsea... someone with a good first touch (Unlike Kuyt) and someone who can score goals game after game

Isnt it funny how so many people now see how good Drogba is.  It wasnt too long ago that many people on here slated Drogba saying he was a waste of money and no good.  That guy has always been quality.  He wasnt scoring as regular before but the rest of game was fantastic hence why Mourinho always stuck by him.
puroresu

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:00 am

EddieC wrote:

TBH I think Kuyt's done better this season than Drogba did in his first at sh!tski.

I agree he could have done a lot better, but he's gotta have at least another season. Imagine we sell him in the summer to another prem club, he gets settled & starts banging in thirty goals a season?

It would be lovely to bring in a striker like Van Nistelrooy who hits the ground running, banging them in from day one. Fact is though, most strikers are gonna be more like Drogba, taking a season or two to settle in before they start netting on a regular basis.

I just think he has an awful first touch

He tries hard and im not even saying anything about how many goals hes scored in his first season

Wouldnt want to sell him like, give him a chance
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:01 am

puroresu wrote:

Isnt it funny how so many people now see how good Drogba is.  It wasnt too long ago that many people on here slated Drogba saying he was a waste of money and no good.  That guy has always been quality.  He wasnt scoring as regular before but the rest of game was fantastic hence why Mourinho always stuck by him.

Paid off now hasnt it for them, urgh haha
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 am

puroresu wrote:Would Pongelle have done any worse than Kuyt or Bellamy if he played the same amount of games this season?  I dont think he would of.  I would take Pongelle over Bellamy any day.

Not sure. it would've been close. But i promise you if Pongolle did do as good as Kuyt & Bellamy this season, he still would have copped a fair amount of stick.

But thats not the point, saying he would have done as well as our current strikers does not address the problem of having a world-class +20 plus striker.

Why would we want someone who is as good as we got, not better, and who has clearly had enough of England & LFC?

I wouldn't mind him here, as a sqaud player. But i don't think he wants that, if you believe some of his quotes.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:21 am

I'd prefer to take him back over bringing in Voronin obviously that ain't gonna happen though, people say he hasn't got the right attitude considering his quotes, but all the lad wants to do is play first team ball and that's a good attitude in my eyes.
RedRoots

Postby Owzat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 pm

puroresu wrote:18 La Liga games, 11 goals. Its a great record considering Villa has 13 in 27 games.

Pongelle last month said he isnt interested in coming back
"Today I don't have any desire to go back and sweat blood and tears again in England" but do you think Rafa believes he has a future at the club?

If he doesn't want to play for us then there's no point bringing him back. I was disappointed he got little chance after his show against Luton in the FA Cup, I'd have used him as one of four or five strikers in the squad. I am always disappointed when we have only one striker on the bench, with Bellamy and Fowler injured from time to time and Luis Garcia out long term we are arguably a striking option short a lot of the time
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
eds wrote:he is a "good" player that belongs at a middle-bottom team in La Liga. I'm sure everyone agrees we need to sign 2-3 "world clarsh" players like; Eto, Alves, David Villa

Thats exactly what I was going to say, people cannot come on here moaning about our lacking of a world class striker - banding names like Eto and Villa around and then seriously expect us to be happy with Pongolle coming back.

He's a good footballer. A bit light weight but decent.

Good enough for a Liverpool squad? No!

He's twice the player your beloved Crouch will ever be. He's also a damn site better than Kuyt aswell. I'd gladly have him back as fourth choice, can come off the bench and influence a game, something thats hard to find.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 pm

I really like Pongolle and was disappointed he never got more of a look in and was farmed out on loan to a different league.

He would be a very useful fourth choice and is an impact player capable of coming on and changing things.
Obviously the boss is happy enough to let him go though by the looks of things and the lad wouldnt appear to be happy playing a bit part so it doesnt look likely that he will be back no matter what.
It is a shame though.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:46 pm

Yeah bring him back. He's shaved off his weave. That's a sure sign that he's gettin' serious.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:52 am

Doing well in Spain doesn't mean doing well in the Premiership. Ask Morientes. If even such a proven goalscorer like him cannot survive with us, what about Pongolle? And to prove Morientes wasn't on a downstreak, he goes off to Valencia and picks up where he left off.

I guess certain players are more suited for certain styles of play. And Ponggo has clearly mentioned that he does not like the technical nature of the Premiership as opposed to the more flair play of the La Liga.

Which is a shame, because I actually like him. I do feel we need 1 or 2 (especially on our wings) flair players that can take on defenders and actually beat them. Pennant and Gonzalez don't look special enough yet at this time. I would say most of Man.ure's success is due to Ronaldo's peak form of late. The rest of the team have been ordinary (in comparison to our team).

Another thing is Rafa. Under GH, natural flair and style were stifled under a strict disciplinary play regime. Would Rafa encourage showboaters like Ronaldo I wonder?
alxy

Postby GLB1 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 am

RedRoots wrote:I'd prefer to take him back over bringing in Voronin obviously that ain't gonna happen though, people say he hasn't got the right attitude considering his quotes, but all the lad wants to do is play first team ball and that's a good attitude in my eyes.

I would agree with that... Looks to have really matured playing in spain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3Jb-Tef10
GLB1

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion