Season review - Looking back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:49 pm

Bad Bob -

Decent point about the trip to Japan, most of us seem to forget about that and the impact it had on our squad.  In fact when you add that to the fact we had the 3 CL qualifying rounds to deal with, our achievements this season seem even better.  Next season, without having to negotiate these games and with undoubtedly improved squad depth, I think the stage really is set for a title push.

Teams don't win the league without first having the belief they can do it.  Our team is far more confident this season and we seem to have exorcised the ghosts of playing away from home.  I can't help thinking that the FA cup win v Chelsea was more significant than any of us realise right now.  We completely outplayed them for 70 mins and there will certainly be no fear in our players when we next meet.  If we'd beat them twice this season in the league instead of the reverse then we'd be champions right now.  We're very close and next season we'll be even closer.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:55 pm

you have to look at it this way, at the start of the Season  if you was asked would you take 82 points 35 or so clean sheets , close the gap on the Russians and  have a FA cup final would you have taken it? oh and added to that robbie would be coming back.
i know i would have, a few times this year i was sure we was going to end up 40 points behind the russians  ...but i was wrong
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue May 09, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 pm

Lakes...

Were you not one of the guys calling for Benitez's head earlier in the season after the Palace game? :laugh:

Apologies if you've been wrongly accused...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:07 pm

no you are right, take a look at my post on the first page. i seem to say i was wrong a lot.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:10 pm

but dont get me wrong, there are still things Rafa did and will still be doing that i am not happy with, most of all its down to buying some out of form spanish players...but that is down to lack of money.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 pm

lakes10 wrote:no you are right, take a look at my post on the first page. i seem to say i was wrong a lot.

Chin up Lakes, I feel bad for pointing that out now.

For what it's worth I was glad to see a few others dare to say something against Benitez back then, despite feeling the inevitable wrath of the 'In Rafa we trust' posse.  Even if wanting him to actually leave the club was a tad extreme...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 10, 2006 12:35 am

Well the way I see it is this:

Had we beaten Sh*tski home and away, rather than the reverse, we'd have been champions.

You can't escape the fact that that is excellent.

Kewell has come good, Gerrard, JC, Finnan, Sami, Pepe, Momo nad Alonso have been outstanding.

Rafa is the man.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed May 10, 2006 2:17 am

most of all its down to buying some out of form spanish players...

Out of form? :laugh:

Lakes you're pulling reasons out of your :censored:. Morientes had a fantastic season for Monaco before we signed him, so how was he out of form when we signed him? Him not producing the goods here is a total different story.

What other player did he buy that was out of form that came from Spain? Nunez was a fringe player thrown in the Owen deal, a player that Benitez really didn't want. He cost nothing.

What other Spanish player that we bought was out of form? Josemi had a good season for Malaga before we signed him and started off well. Once again, him failing to adapt and learn the language is a different story.

We did not sign not one Spanish player out of form. Morientes may have been uneffective, but he was in fine form when he got his signature and most people were happy with the deal.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed May 10, 2006 11:52 am

LFCFan4Life wrote:
most of all its down to buying some out of form spanish players...

Out of form? :laugh:

Lakes you're pulling reasons out of your :censored:. Morientes had a fantastic season for Monaco before we signed him, so how was he out of form when we signed him? Him not producing the goods here is a total different story.

What other player did he buy that was out of form that came from Spain? Nunez was a fringe player thrown in the Owen deal, a player that Benitez really didn't want. He cost nothing.

What other Spanish player that we bought was out of form? Josemi had a good season for Malaga before we signed him and started off well. Once again, him failing to adapt and learn the language is a different story.

We did not sign not one Spanish player out of form. Morientes may have been uneffective, but he was in fine form when he got his signature and most people were happy with the deal.

and that alonso guy still looks to be finding his feet aswell. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:36 pm

LFCFan4Life wrote:We haven't won a league title for 16 years, do you want us to be miserable b@stards all the time?

I personaly am not going to celebrate this season until after the FA Cup final. To say that the season would be disaster if we didn't win it is quite stupid imo.

Whilst we have made mass improvements this season in where we are heading in Domestic football, we haven't won the golden fleece, we finished 3rd, 3rd place is not something to be over the moon about in my book.

And it would be a disaster in my view to have won one if not the ultimate prize in football in one season and than fail to add to your trophy cabinet in the following season.

With all the progress made by us this season in terms of defence solidarity, clean sheets and unbeaten runs which has taken us a level forward, we'd be in fact going nowhere if we weren't to add to your trophy cabinet.

I demand as a Liverpool fan the very best and whilst I am satisfied with the progress we have made in two years with Rafa I won't be bouncing off the walls until we are the most dominant team in England.
48-1119859832

Postby stmichael » Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 pm

0asis wrote:With all the progress made by us this season in terms of defence solidarity, clean sheets and unbeaten runs which has taken us a level forward, we'd be in fact going nowhere if we weren't to add to your trophy cabinet.

so if we finished 17th in the league, but won the carling cup, you'd be happy? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Common sense is obviously a flaw amongst many Liverpool fans. Allow me to re-phrase that for you. Those improvements will mean nothing to me if we don't have the F.A Cup. We need back up our impressive new feats of achievement with a cup.

When I say add trophies I mean the League. A club like Liverpool who should demand highly and should have ambition and high aspirations should be satisfied this season, acknowledge the improvements but not get so over the moon and get smashed in your local.

3rd place is nothing to boast about and it's nothing to be happy about in my book. You're either fist or you're nothing" because "people only remember first place, they don't remember second" or 3rd or 4th....and so on...
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 pm

0asis wrote:but not get so over the moon and get smashed in your local.

It's as good a reason as any, mate!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Bob, dya even need a legit reason to go get smashed? :laugh:

But I don't mean to sound or be a party pooper but I'm not going to get outrageously happy until we lift the League trophy aloft at Anfield.
48-1119859832

Postby Crouchamania » Wed May 10, 2006 4:43 pm

I'm sick of people saying we were humiliated and outplayed by Chelsea. It was never a 4-1 game. They had about six chances and scored four goals, one of which was a penalty. We proved that in the cup
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion