Darwin Núñez  Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:03 pm

I'm not concerned at all tbh.. he's played 60 mins of football having only trained with the club for a week now. He looks off the pace and looks unfit but that's due to him enjoying his time off too much probably celebrating his big move.

I like the fact he's always on the shoulder of the last defender, and he's rapid when he gets into his stride. We'll have to slightly change the way we play though.. I don't think Nunez will be able to do what Bobby does in building play up from the front.. he seems slightly clumsy with the ball at his feet, that's definitely a area he needs to improve.

The Comminity Shield will be his real first test.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Is he a traditional target man type? As I said I’ve been working every hour God sends and have seen nothing of the lad. In fact does anyone know of any decent LFC news sites as I’m struggling to keep up with the latest comings and goings etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:39 pm

Is he a traditional target man type? As I said I’ve been working every hour God sends and have seen nothing of the lad. In fact does anyone know of any decent LFC news sites as I’m struggling to keep up with the latest comings and goings etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 pm wrote:Is he a traditional target man type? As I said I’ve been working every hour God sends and have seen nothing of the lad. In fact does anyone know of any decent LFC news sites as I’m struggling to keep up with the latest comings and goings etc

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Liverpool
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:Is he a traditional target man type? As I said I’ve been working every hour God sends and have seen nothing of the lad. In fact does anyone know of any decent LFC news sites as I’m struggling to keep up with the latest comings and goings etc

Yeah a target man for me. He isn't box to box material anyway but in the bits I seen of him the other day he tried his best. He had a couple of shots saved and bundled a few lads over trying to dispossess them. It's going to take a while for him to settle and adapt but he already brings a strong presence in the box.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Incidentally if Nunez struggle’s to settle it might be worth trying Carvalho in Bobby’s old false 9 position
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:53 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:38 pm wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Incidentally if Nunez struggle’s to settle it might be worth trying Carvalho in Bobby’s old false 9 position

Not sure many players can do what Bobby does, he is a special player. The work he does for the team, his physicality, skill level and selflessness are quite unique. I also think Carvalho seems more a Coutinho type of player if we are forced to compare. The best replacement we had was probably Mane with his versatility. Bobby has helped our strikers score more with his work off the ball, he has truly been important in how we play so we need to find a solution or we change the way we play with Nunez as a front man. Watching his YouTube clips he seems a pure frontman, interested to see how Klopp plays him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

Nunez is different from the other key attackers Klopp has bought in (Mane, Salah, and Diaz). It's clear he is more of a traditional number 9 and likes to run in behind the last line. And at 6 ft 2 he offers more of a physical presence. Haven’t watched any of pre-season but can’t say I’m worried about him not lighting up the show playing a few minutes in a kick about on a pre-season tour. Once upon a time Andriy Voronin outshone Torres in pre-season! Even though the Community Shield is a glorified friendly, it’s against strong opposition and a week before the real stuff starts, so it will give us an indication of where Nunez is.

There’s always talk of Klopp switching from the 4-3-3 to the 4-2-3-1 that he used at Dortmund and tried initially at Liverpool. But this time the big investment in Nunez means it might actually happen. I can’t see Nunez playing as a false 9 the way Bobby does so someone will need to own that space between the lines. In Carvalho and Elliott we have players who are perfectly suited to that number 10 role behind the striker. Will be interesting to see how things pan out in the first few weeks of the season as we’ll need to adjust to a different type of forward.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/08/darwin-nunezs-gratitude-to-liverpool-teammate-after-extremely-nervous-start/

Darwin Nunez’s gratitude to Liverpool teammate after “extremely nervous” start

Darwin Nunez has admitted to feeling the pressure and nerves after joining Liverpool but has credited Mo Salah for helping him feel comfortable in his new surroundings.

The Uruguayan arrived in the summer with the weight of, outside, expectations thanks to the initial £64 million deal, with a further £21.3 million in add-ons.

Jurgen Klopp acknowledged the striker is “different to what we had before” and when you add in the language barrier plus the time needed to adjust, there is plenty to navigate.

Nunez felt the brunt of how mind-boggling social media can be after just a week at Liverpool, but has since scored five pre-season goals and acted as a game-changer in the Community Shield triumph.

And it was after the win in Leicester that the 23-year-old spoke of how nervous he was at the start of pre-season, to which he credited Salah for offering his help in a welcome chat between the pair.

“To be honest, the first weeks I was extremely nervous, so much that I was missing even the simplest pass,” Nunez told Sports Center, as translated by Twitter user @iMiguelLFC.

“It was really difficult to get used at the beginning with the team. But as time went by, they made me feel comfortable, I had a talk with Salah that helped me a lot.

“Then with the Brazilians, with Luis Diaz who’s also a new guy here. It’s really difficult to come to a big club like Liverpool and not to feel that pressure. And I felt that.

“[Klopp] has talked a lot with me, he’s always pushing me forward and has given me the trust and I aim to pay that trust back on pitch.”

It is refreshing honesty from Nunez, who was handed another welcome confidence boost in the Community Shield and certainly has the support of the fans and his teammates behind him.

It’s a sad day for the ‘Salah is selfish’ believers.

“You could see in his face, you could see in the face of all his teammates how happy the boys are for him and that’s a really good sign after that short period of time that he is with us,” Klopp said of his goal against Man City.

It’s not unusual for new signings to need an extended time to settle in and patience is the key for Nunez, who will not be expected to start at Fulham but has plenty to offer in the early stages of the season.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:34 pm

good article, thanks for posting it mate, much appreciated.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:19 pm

That’s 2 games he’s changed coming off the bench now, first City now Fulham, time to make him our starting striker imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 pm

I think we need to be careful managing his progression into being a starter every week. New league, new country, new team and a massive price tag with little time to bed in. A lot of negative stuff being said about him in preseason after playing poorly in nothing games so imagine what will be said if he goes 3 or 4 without scoring in the league. Personally I'd be holding him off until I was certain he can handle all that.

I said it in the match thread and I will say it again. He does bring something we have been missing for years, A proper threat in the box who makes proper striker runs. He angles himself perfectly when attacking the ball as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:24 am

To add to Red's comment, teams haven't worked out how to play him yet so these are the easy few games before they learn to isolate him, handle him etc.. so agree, let's not get over enthusiastic just yet. Let's see how he's doing at Crimbo.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:06 pm

F'kin idiot. You're 23. Grow the f&k up. Cost us the game tonight. You're not a bleedin' child any more.
So damn annoyed at this kid.
Seething right now
City are laughing at us
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:10 am

bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 pm wrote:F'kin idiot. You're 23. Grow the f&k up. Cost us the game tonight. You're not a bleedin' child any more.
So damn annoyed at this kid.
Seething right now
City are laughing at us

I don’t think he cost us the game last night as we actually played better after he was sent off. It was petulant no doubt but not worthy of a three match ban. All rival fans will want us to crucify him, they will get a lot of enjoyment from that but he was giving 100 percent to the team and sometimes it is easy to cross the line, which he did. He was goaded and tricked by the defender, that is all. A proper headbutt would have broken his nose or at least left a mark, the contact was minimal.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion