DANNY WILSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Waldo » Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

£2m for this kid is a steal. He has the potential to be a top player. He has done very well for Rangers this season. OK the SPL isn't a good league but he did very well in Europe for them as well.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Waldo wrote:£2m for this kid is a steal. He has the potential to be a top player. He has done very well for Rangers this season. OK the SPL isn't a good league but he did very well in Europe for them as well.

Errrrrr....didn't Robbie Keane score 16 goals in 18 games in the SPL ? Hardly a decent benchmark now, is it ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby maguskwt » Mon May 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Carra is getting on, The Greek is just a makeshift backup, I'm not too convinced with skrtl and agger can be injury prone, so it seems like a good investment IMO...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 17, 2010 6:53 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Like Nacho Novo is the all-knowing guru on classy international players, eh ? Gimme a break...

Pick a limb  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 17, 2010 7:24 pm

I read on another forum that Dalglish has been closely involved in choosing Wilson and the other young lad Jonjo ...... maybe there's a chance this time?
account deleted by request

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Also played a big part in the signature of  Sterling by all accounts
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DaMo » Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Hopefully he is as good a prospect as the hype suggests. Here's an article I stumbled upon:

There has been a huge amount of hype surrounding 18-year-old Rangers defender Danny Wilson for over a year now. Despite the fact that very few had seen him play, there were rumours linking the 6.1ft centre back with a move away from Ibrox before he had even played for the SPL champions.

A product of the Rangers youth system, Wilson made his debut in October 2009 in a League Cup match against Dundee. First team opportunities were a little harder to come by until injury problems hit Rangers’ small squad and he was handed a start in a difficult Champions League away match at Unirea Urziceni in November 2009. At 17 Wilson was one of, if not the best, players on the pitch on the night.

Since that match in Romania Wilson has cemented his place in the Rangers first team due to the injury and absences of Algerian central defender Madjid Bougherra. As the Gers storm to another SPL title Wilson has been an assured presence at the heart of the defence. He has hardly put a foot wrong and he has leaned on the experience of David Weir alongside him who is Rangers skipper and about to turn 40.

Wilson is a cultured left-footed defender who knows when to time a tackle and can also pick out great cross field passes. With good physical presence he is good in the air at both ends of the pitch and at Rangers he has been part of a winning side in the league and also picked up experience of the Champions League.

In a short time Wilson has proved his quality at attacking set pieces. He claimed his first senior goal with a towering header in the fifth minute of the 4-1 win at Hearts (see video below). And last night the young defender headed down for Kenny Miller to score the final goal in a 3-1 victory over Aberdeen.

Despite a number of composed performances Wilson did show his inexperience in the League Cup final against St Mirren in March. He was sent off with 19 minutes remaining with a naïve tug on Craig Dargo when Rangers were already a man down.

Aside from this aberration Wislon looks to be level headed for his age as well and those that know him have said he is smart and articulate. This is shown with his leadership skills which have been prominent from a young age. He has captained both the Rangers Under-19 team and the Scotland Under-19 national side and has also been called up to the Scotland Under-21 squad but is yet to play.

His performances in the second half of 2009/2010 are also set to be recognised next month with pundits calling for him to be crowned Young Player of the season in Scotland.

South of the border Wilson has been a constant source of transfer gossip, even before he made his Rangers debut. In recent weeks this has ratcheted up a notch due to Rangers’ financial problems and as his contract expires in 15 months.

Liverpool and Spurs are among the clubs reportedly interested and Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive, said recently that, "Two English Premiership clubs approached us in January and since then I have had the odd discussion and we have seen people coming along to watch our players and you can see who they are coming along to watch, I can confirm that Liverpool have expressed an interest, but a lot of clubs are keeping abreast of Danny’s situation."

In recent years Rangers have sold Jean-Alain Boumsong and Carlos Cuellar to English clubs and the bottom line is that they cannot afford not to offload him this summer if he does not sign a new deal. Some in Scotland have called on Wilson to stay and learn his trade in the SPL for a few more years.

Famously another cultured Scottish defender, Alan Hansen, moved to Liverpool when he was just 22 and Wilson could probably learn more in the English game and he undoubtedly has the talent to succeed in the Premier League.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-....981
DaMo

Postby JBG » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

s@int wrote:I read on another forum that Dalglish has been closely involved in choosing Wilson and the other young lad Jonjo ...... maybe there's a chance this time?

Then again Daglish did buy John Harkness, Jimmy Carter and Don Hutchinson.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 pm

JBG wrote:
s@int wrote:I read on another forum that Dalglish has been closely involved in choosing Wilson and the other young lad Jonjo ...... maybe there's a chance this time?

:D 

You wouldn't want me to add all Rafa's failures to that list would you  :D

Don Hutchison was a good player, pity he was also an idiot. Bought for £175k sold for £1.5million

Harkness bought for £70k sold for £350k

Admittedly Carter was a poor buy.

Postby Reg » Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 pm

JBG wrote:

David Speedie.  :oops:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Reg wrote:
JBG wrote:

6 goals in 12 games for us(including a goal on his debut against the mancs at O.T. followed by 2 goals against Everton) , went to Blackburn when Souness arrived and helped Dalglish get them promotion before being swapped(with a little bit of cash) for Shearer. Hardly a failure !

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 18, 2010 2:02 pm

JBG wrote:

Harkness always use to be good on champship manager tho. I sold him for 15 million to man utd once  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu May 20, 2010 12:36 pm

s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:
JBG wrote:

6 goals in 12 games for us(including a goal on his debut against the mancs at O.T. followed by 2 goals against Everton) , went to Blackburn when Souness arrived and helped Dalglish get them promotion before being swapped(with a little bit of cash) for Shearer. Hardly a failure !

Souness came, a lot of good players left and we're where was are now as a result.

You been banned again?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Thu May 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Good, clever sign. Signing young talents for 1-2 million is ALWAYS good thing to do. If we give them a real chance to make the first team.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu May 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Wilson should come straight into the senior squad hopefully.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion