Crouch - A matter of consistency

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:46 pm

People should be consistent and not think that because he was excellent yesterday, he is excellent.

He is okay. Best we have up front. I think next season will be a big one for him and he could form a good partnership with a top striker (to be purchased in summer). I agree he could learn a lot from Niall Quinn but even though the physiques are similar, Quinn was much better in the air and Crouch has a better touch.

Of the strikers, he is the only one I'd definately keep. An extra stone in weight would be good.

He could be a Toshack or a Heskey - time will tell.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:01 pm

Espionage wrote:We paid 7m for him and I know that that raised almost everyone's eye brows but I think that basically everyone has since eaten their words. In response to Crouch being a "Liverpool centre forward", how many players that cost 7m would you rather have? I am of the opinion that Rafa decided that instead of buying a striker in the 9-14m area (i.e world class, which is kinda what everyone wanted), he was bourght as a short term main striker that will definately still be an active part of the team when that world class striker comes (hopefully in the coming summer).
Crouch offers something different, and as like many role-players people that dont know very much about football tend to find it hard to quantify his output, what it is that he actually does for the side.
We have seen how good his vision, flicks and general passing is around the box. But we wont reap the full benefits of his talents until that other striker comes.

Fantastic game Crouchie!!!!!!!!

He had a good game, I agree...... But for all his contributions this season  I just don't feel that he is a 1st team LIVERPOOL Centre forward..... I think that he'd be better off the bench in the latter third of the game as he'll always be an aerial threat... especially when fresh against tired legs.....

When we 1st signed him for 7 million.... I was astounded and more than a little upset.... Now I'd say that he was worth it (not cheap mind you..) as a frequently used squad player.....

As for Bellamy..... I think he's more trouble than he's worth.... IMO that Liverpool shouldn't touch him with a barge pole.....  :no
73-1141222089

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Well he's into double figures now. Hands up who would've happily taken that when we signed him?

It's clear that he's not really a main striker and wasn't brought as such, so 10-15 goals is a very respectable tally and is also what many demanded of him. It just so happens that Morientes and Cisse have been so poor that Crouch has found himself starting more than was originally planned.

When you consider the games where our main mode of attack has been to punt long to Crouch, leaving him with little support, he's done very well to reach double figures with plenty of games to go.

Yesterday showed two things. 1) We're a better team with Crouch on the pitch. 2) He's much more effective when we don't just aim it long and rely on his height.

:nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:31 pm

ive always said that crouch is not the best player under pressure. when there are goals around him he will also score but when we are in the droubt he is the last player we need.
now we have all started scoring his gameplay has got so much better which is nice to see and long may it continue
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Im sure if we had a consistent striker playing along side him then they would compliment each other well. Now ther only problem is finding a consistent striker. Nando has been injury free fora while now but has still failed to mke the grade IMO and I hope in Rafas, and Cisse just amazes me sometimes with his lack of awareness.  Pongolle has yet to be given a good run of games and im sure if he isnt sold he will be given mor3e timeon the pitch.

Lets just hope Rafa pulls something nice out of the bag as far as strikers are concerned. I dont have to say his name but im sure we all want him back and maybe then finaly we can see the best of Peter Crouch. He has played well this season surrounded by strikers who eem simply inept in the EPL and although he has missed his fair share of chances on goal so have all the other strikers when they have had the chances.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion