CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE DRAW - 1700 BST

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 pm

bigmick wrote:My prediction, predictably, is that all four English teams will comfortably progress through the group stage as they always do. Sorry to be so predictable.

Jeez Mick, thats a real short post for you.  Confident or what?!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Atletico Madrid are an American team, right?

They have the Stars N Stripes on their badge.

GAWD BLISS THA US.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Y un oso. Semejante a la bandera de California

Yep, it's a bear and the tree strawberry , the symbol of Madrid, and  both extinguished due to the urban development of that zone of Spain  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OM Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi, as you can see I'm an Olympique de Marseille supporter.

I'm not happy to face you again but our last game was a shame for us so it's not bad to have a rematch. Don't think you're gonna win with the same result this year ... In our 4 last game this is your only victory against us don't forget it !

Even we have lost two good players (especially Nasri) our team has improved this year.
We have bought one of the best defender in Ligue 1 (Hilton), a very good striker (Bakary Koné) small but very lively and technic and the last but not least, the most gifted young french talent (Hatem Ben Arfa) who was in trouble at Lyon. What a luck for us ! If you don't know him you will be amazed trust me.

I wish you good luck but remenber, don't be so confident  :D

Sorry for my english ...
Allez l'OM !
OM Fan

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:38 pm

OM Fan wrote:Sorry for my english ...

Your English is very good mate, we got all of that. Good luck to you guys, as long as we go through we'd have no complaints with Marseilles coming in to the next stage as well.

Good post.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OM Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Thx man I hope so !
Allez l'OM !
OM Fan

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 pm

OM Fan wrote:Hi, as you can see I'm an Olympique de Marseille supporter.

I'm not happy to face you again but our last game was a shame for us so it's not bad to have a rematch. Don't think you're gonna win with the same result this year ... In our 4 last game this is your only victory against us don't forget it !

Even we have lost two good players (especially Nasri) our team has improved this year.
We have bought one of the best defender in Ligue 1 (Hilton), a very good striker (Bakary Koné) small but very lively and technic and the last but not least, the most gifted young french talent (Hatem Ben Arfa) who was in trouble at Lyon. What a luck for us ! If you don't know him you will be amazed trust me.

Sorry for my english ...

Ben Arfa is a pretty well known quantity, quality pick up there.

And when you think about it, Cisse and Nasri didn't really even play against or do anything to use so those aren't really losses when you look at last years team and this years
JoeTerp

Postby Yessicajax » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:55 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Atletico Madrid are an American team, right?

They have the Stars N Stripes on their badge.

GAWD BLISS THA US.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

it looks now more like a dutch team... :rasp  :laugh:
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

Postby samurai3000 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Rafa is good with the champs league so the draw shouldnt bother us. I feel we will have a few blips like we always do but i could see us in the semis again. But like any other liverpool fan i would take the league title any day than the champs league. We shall see how this season unfolds.
samurai3000

Postby OM Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 pm

@JoeTerp:

It's true that we have won at Anfield without both of them :D

Cissé is not a big loss for us because he was not a regular player this year and he had a big salary so ... It's also good for our way of play with a lot of technic players. Cissé seemed a kind of "lost" in the team.

But for Nasri it's not the same thing. Even Arsenal is a good choice for him, I think he's left the club too early. One or two years more in Marseille would not be bad ... He will be an excellent player and I wish him to show what he can do in the best league.
Allez l'OM !
OM Fan

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:40 pm

We've missed Bayern and Juventus, and got one of the easier teams in PSV, but the inclusion of Atletico has made up for that. An evenly strong group.

Win our home games, and get at least one draw away somewhere and I reckon we're through.
LFC2007

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:10 am

We have landed the toughest group, IMHO, compared to the other 3 English teams. Still, we should be able to go through.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 am

azriahmad wrote:We have landed the toughest group, IMHO, compared to the other 3 English teams. Still, we should be able to go through.

Compared with the other prem sides its the group of death, its going to be tight but i suppose you could say at least the other three teams will take points from each other.
Three wins and a draw or two will be enough to win it but we need to be very carefull its a harder comp if you get though in second. Six points from the first three would set us up, lets not have to win the last 3 to sneak though again, me ticker cant take it.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zarzius » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 am

PSV is the toughest out of them.. Good thing we didnt draw bayern
Zarzius

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 am

Toughest draw by an English club is Arsenal's

Arsenal - 2006 runners-up
Porto - 2004 winners
Fenerbahce - beat Chelsea in Turkey in their QF last season (lost 3-2 on agg)
Dynamo Kiev - reach the last 32 consistently (7 out of last 8 competitions)

As for our group, it isn't that bad unless you believe we should have lost 1-0 at home to Marseille.

Liverpool - winners 2005, runners-up 2007, semi-finalists 2008
PSV Eindhoven - SFs 2005, QFs 2007
Marseille - just two last 32 appearances in the last EIGHT seasons
Atletico - a single QF way back in 96/97

That's only tough if we want to think it is, we beat PSV three times out of four and the other was a draw. Marseille mugged us last season and we stuffed them 4-0 on their turf. Atletico are a tough side in theory, no tougher than Roma who everyone talks up before the mancs beat them easily and then the press never shut up about it. Well Bolton beat them 1-0 on aggregate in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup last season and it wouldn't matter if they did pose a problem as we should pick up three wins against the other two anyway

The mancs' group isn't that easy, Celtic could beat them at home and Villareal are no pushovers. Aalborg may not be a problem, but the mancs shouldn't assume that is an automatic six points. I think Chelsea will probably be happiest with the draw, Bordeaux and CFR Cluj shouldn't pose them many problems and it may be a gentleman's agreement draw or two between them and Roma
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:37 am

OM Fan wrote:Hi, as you can see I'm an Olympique de Marseille supporter.

Sorry for my english ...

Bakery Kone is a very good player and i think he will do good good for you guys . Arfa is something else , got some pace and got some lovely skills as well , was kinda hoping LFC would sign him this season but i think he'd be too small to succeed in the premier league. Good luck to you as well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion