CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE DRAW - 1700 BST

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby europian-kings » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Well after a nail biting, head scratching, bottom burping night  :D Liverpool are indeed through to the draw tomorrow.
I for one hope we don't have an easy group as i feel we perform better against the better teams.
Come on you red men!!
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Finishing second in the league has a massive importance to avoid nights like the one today, in which our players had to do an extra effort that could be paid in the next league game -- not necessarily

I hope that this season we don't have to do a heroic 3 last matches in the group stage so that we can focus in the league, because I remember one of our blips in the league came when we had to do that effort .

As for our opposition, I'd love to be paired and beat Atletico Madrid, and quite frankly I think that no matter what they throw at our face we'll go through to the next stage.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:42 pm

Sabre wrote:Finishing second in the league has a massive importance to avoid nights like the one today, in which our players had to do an extra effort that could be paid in the next league game -- not necessarily

I hope that this season we don't have to do a heroic 3 last matches in the group stage so that we can focus in the league, because I remember one of our blips in the league came when we had to do that effort .

As for our opposition, I'd love to be paired and beat Atletico Madrid, and quite frankly I think that no matter what they throw at our face we'll go through to the next stage.

This man speaks alot of sense!
Sabre for president! :buttrock
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:47 am

Part of the problem with games like these, early in the season - is the knock-on effect they have on the EPL game on the weekend.

We play away to Aston Villa and hopefully we don't suffer the European football blues having played overtime. It is always the case with this club, when you have it easy - make a meal of it (today's game was not easy by any means as Liege have proved themselves to be a decent team). But any more of these types of games in qualification and I do believe we will see sub-par performances over the following weekend.

It is a tough act to maintain winning streaks in both the CL and EPL without the same quality of cover on the bench.

Back to the topic re: pairing - definitely do not want to be paired with what the pundits would consider easy pickings. We'd need atleast one good side in our group (top 3 in Spanish / Italian leagues), to ensure that we don't have the luxury of slipping up :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby zirgoz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:57 am

I sure hope Liverpool get teams that are less worrying in the Group Stages, heres the link for the 32 clubs and their pots

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=740905.html

What see almost all the clubs in pots 2-3 can create a difficult match, Atletico which is in pot 4 I think is the strongest.
zirgoz

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:17 am

one team from each pot (although no teams from same country)
112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 am

peewee wrote:Image

That would be great if it wasn't so difficult to read.

Pot 1

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal
Barcelona, Lyon, Inter Milan, Real Madrid

Pot 2

Bayern, PSV Eindhoven, Villareal, Roma
Porto, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon, Juventus

Pot 3

Marseille, Zenit St Petersburg, Steaua Bucharest, Celtic
Bordeaux, Basel, Fenerbahce, Panathanaikos

Pot 4

Shakhtar Donetsk, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, BATE
Dynamo Kiev, Aalborg, CFR Cluj, Anorthosis Famagusta

Well pot 4 is a mixed bag of seriously bad and 'who the feck are they?' There are some bad ones to avoid in pot 3 too, wouldn't want Zenit or Fenerbahce. Just hope we haven't used up all our luck getting into pot 1 and in the Premiership games
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35 am

Owzat wrote:
peewee wrote:Image

That would be great if it wasn't so difficult to read.

Pot 1

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal
Barcelona, Lyon, Inter Milan, Real Madrid

Pot 2

Bayern, PSV Eindhoven, Villareal, Roma
Porto, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon, Juventus

Pot 3

Marseille, Zenit St Petersburg, Steaua Bucharest, Celtic
Bordeaux, Basel, Fenerbahce, Panathanaikos

Pot 4

Shakhtar Donetsk, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, BATE
Dynamo Kiev, Aalborg, CFR Cluj, Anorthosis Famagusta

Well pot 4 is a mixed bag of seriously bad and 'who the feck are they?' There are some bad ones to avoid in pot 3 too, wouldn't want Zenit or Fenerbahce. Just hope we haven't used up all our luck getting into pot 1 and in the Premiership games

right click and save image, its not hard is it?
112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:39 am

peewee wrote:right click and save image, its not hard is it?

I wasn't criticising, I was observing that it is difficult to read as an image. Didn't need to save it, just copied the link out of your post and put it in ie.

:rasp
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 am

Owzat wrote:

I wasn't criticising, I was observing that it is difficult to read as an image. Didn't need to save it, just copied the link out of your post and put it in ie.

fair enough, it just seems like we are going from thread to thread abusing each other     :D
112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am

peewee wrote:
Owzat wrote:

fair enough, it just seems like we are going from thread to thread abusing each other     :D

no, just you stalking me  :rasp and boring everyone to death
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:13 am

Owzat wrote:
peewee wrote:
Owzat wrote:

then stop lying and saying kuyt is good     :rasp
112-1077774096

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 am

I think it will be us, Juventus, Athletico, and Fenerbache.

However, it would be funny if it was us, Marsaille, Porto, and some random team.
SupitsJonF

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:22 am

i hope we get celtic
112-1077774096

Postby FRfanatic » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 am

peewee wrote:
Owzat wrote:
peewee wrote:
Owzat wrote:

then stop lying and saying kuyt is good     :rasp

Waiting for your comment to put only Kuyt in pot 4
FRfanatic

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion