Champions league seedings - Liverpool 4th seed for group stage

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Sky news are reporting that if we reach the group stage we will be seeded 4th thus avoiding the other top 7 seeded teams .
Slavia Prague (who da fk are they  :D  ) are launching an appeal against our seeding .

Chelsea are in the second group of seeds and Neverton are seeded 42nd   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:15 pm

Seeding is based on our co-efficient so Slavia Prague really have no grounds for their appeal.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:19 pm

We have the 4th highest co-efficient so we will be 4th seed, Real Madrid, Milan and Barca are the only clubs higher than us.

Co-efficients.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Seeding is based on our co-efficient so Slavia Prague really have no grounds for their appeal.

Apparently they feel it affects their seeding ?
don't quite see how ,but i'm still laughing at chelsea and evertons seedings although in fairness I'm surprised to see that Chelsea aren't seeded in the top eight but Arsenal are.     :eyebrow

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:21 pm

Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United will avoid Europe's top teams if they reach the group stage of the Champions League.
But under Uefa's coefficients system, which are used to calculate each team's seedings, Chelsea will be among the second group of eight seeded teams.

Everton's status means they could face tough opponents in qualfying rounds.

David Moyes' side are ranked 42nd and would be in the fourth and lowest group should they qualify.

Both Everton and Manchester United enter the competition at the third and final qualifying round - but Moyes' teams low ranking means they could face Inter Milan, Sporting Lisbon or even Liverpool to make it into the group stage.

The seeding system means Chelsea could find themselves in a group with either Real Madrid, AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan or Bayern Munich.

Jose Mourinho's team could even face Liverpool, who have no 'country protection' after being given special admittance into the qualifying rounds of the competition to defend their trophy.

Celtic's strong ranking - 21st in the list - should guarantee them seeding for the second and final qualifying rounds.

Rangers, however, would almost certainly not be seeded in their qualifying round.

Liverpool have three qualifying rounds to surmount but in each round would be seeded and avoid the strongest opposition teams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4118726.stm
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:24 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:Seeding is based on our co-efficient so Slavia Prague really have no grounds for their appeal.

Apparently they feel it affects their seeding ?
don't quite see how ,but i'm still laughing at chelsea and evertons seedings although in fairness I'm surprised to see that Chelsea aren't seeded in the top eight but Arsenal are.     :eyebrow

It's all based over a 5 year period or something. So Chelsea have only had two semi-finals in that time. Arsenal have been in the knockout stages most times in the last 5 years, and we have won the UEFA Cup in 2001, quarter-finals in 2002 and of course won the whole thing in 2005.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Cheers LFC , that makes it a bit clearer . I'm naturally happy that we've been seeded 4th but do question the "value" of the seeding process when a side that dominated the English premiership and made it to the semi's of the CL is not included in the top eight . I realise that domestic performance is not taken into account ,perhaps it should be ? Also think that perhaps euro performances should be measured over the last 2-3 seasons not 5 .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:16 pm

Oh well the table doesnt lie afterall, after getting this shoved down our throats for :censored: months about tables and lies :glare: Liverpool No1 seeds in pot one, the bitters 42nd seed in pot four, no have some of that :censored: :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:19 pm

Why are barca so high on the list, they have only won 1 european cup and havent been to a final since then i think.......i think prague should be complaining about that! Oh and on that note the mancs record hasnt exactly been up to much since borrowing it off us.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby columbia » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:28 pm

Reds in Euro seeding row Jun 22 2005

By Rob Brady, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL face a protest from the Czech football authorities should they make it through to the third round of the Champions League qualifiers.

The European Cup holders are among the seeded teams in the first and second qualifying stages.

If they safely negotiate their way through these, they will also be seeded in the third round - at the expense of Slavia Prague.

The Czechs, runners-up in their domestic league last season, would have to be included among the unseeded teams to accommodate the Reds.

The club and the Czech FA are furious at the move, as Slavia would then face a much tougher task as they bid to reach the lucrative group stage.

They could find themselves drawn against the likes of Manchester United, Inter Milan or Real Betis. The Czechs plan to appeal if the situation arises.

Czech FA secretary-general Petr Fousek said: "I have already warned UEFA's director in charge of professional football Giorgio Marchetti about this. We will now examine how and against who this protest will be made."

Meanwhile, Turkish side Besiktas remain confident of signing Igor Biscan. The Croat has not been offered a new contract by Liverpool despite an up-turn in his form under Rafael Benitez.

Besiktas boss Riza Calimbay said: "We'll strike a deal within the week, at the latest. I see the transfer as 99 percent complete. Biscan will add strength to Besiktas."

Elsewhere, Lyon boss Gerard Houllier is continuing his pursuit of Milan Baros.

The Czech striker wants to remain at Anfield, but Houllier's successor Benitez may be forced to sell to raise funds to strengthen his side in other areas.

Houllier signed Baros for the Reds for £3.6million from Banik Ostrava three-and-a-half years ago and Jean-Michel Aulas, chairman of the French champions, insists the 23-year-old remains a priority.

Aulas said: "Milan is clearly tied to Liverpool. We have not lost hope of recruiting him. Baros remains on our list."
columbia

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Great post! as I was worried that we might draw Manure in the final qualifiers (be honest! you wouldn't want that).

Still leaves two peaces of blue :censored: though (Everton & Rangers) but everybody steps over :censored: when they see it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:40 pm

The Czechs  should be protesting against UEFA not us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:46 pm

ok can any of you help me , we dont have 'country protection' but all the other english teams do.
right i get that but, what if say man u get us...they have 'country protection' so how can they play us? ???    am i going mad?? :(
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:54 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Chelsea are in the second group of seeds

big club my ar$e :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby real fan from abroad » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:05 pm

ok can any of you help me , we dont have 'country protection' but all the other english teams do.
right i get that but, what if say man u get us...they have 'country protection' so how can they play us?    am i going mad??[quote]
Let me explain, because we finished 5th in the PL and UEFA made an exaption to let us play in the CL so we haven't country spesification(Arsenal-England,Milan-Italy), in the UEFA books we are registerd as Liverpool from unknown country!!
So we can meet everybody even English teams, but Chelsky's country spesification is England and the 'country protection' law prevent's them of meeting English teams, but Liverpool is from unknown country so the 'country protection' law can't prevent them of meeting us! :idea
real fan from abroad

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion