Champions league seedings - Liverpool 4th seed for group stage

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:31 am

People's club? More like The People's Joke.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:12 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi Laza and Scott, thanks for your comments.

However .......surely IF any of the English Clubs draw us in the group stages they are going to moan like Billy-o (no change there then) having been drawn against a club from their own country thus in effect not being protected using their country protection?

Wherever and whatever UEFA deem us to be in terms of our country affiliation it doesn;'t take away the fact we are ENGLISH ! :D

Hi Dalglish
Well why should Everton moan, according to their warped view of the world they should be happy to be drawing a team they are better then  :)
It sort men out from the boys and the dreamers can tune back into reality FM
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby slavia » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:25 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
RedorDead wrote:Slavia Prague would have been seeded so played a relative minnow, as it is they will not be seeded so could face Manure, Inter Milan or someone like that. I for one sympathise with them but I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it. UEFA cocked up and it was bound to upset someone when they let us back in, still I'm glad they did!!!! :D

Slavia Prague can kiss my @rse if they dont think they can get further with us being seeded in group 3 why bother being in the comp atall then?
Moanin shower  the and the F.A. stick your cup up yer  and Slavia are lookin for money for this well,  you Liverpool arnt gona pay you off, so shut the  up and deal with it, beat whats infront of you, not what might happen in group 3, another shower of bitter. P.iss right off.

while I understand you lack of carrying for Slavia Prague (and really, why should you care!), you show some real ignorance for the bigger picture and I don't really understand UEFA's lack of caring. The reason the Czech team is complaining is because clubs that don't have the financial backing like Liverpool look at the Championship league as a "life-changing" money source. The money from the league play can be used to buy new players and improve the team. This is good for UEFA. If UEFA randomly changes its own rules and takes away Slavia's seeding (seeding which didn't just randomly arise but came from its decent EUFA cup play, and thus should be rewarded) UEFA withholds without any justification by way of rule an opportunity for a team with potential to realize that potential. Instead of creating more quality teams and improveing the competition, UEFA concentrates stronger players in few teams. Giving support to stronger teams instead bids a team like Slavia against competition like Liverpool where advancement is not likely. Thus, the Championship league promotes "superteams." That's not healthy (e.g., look at what money did for Chelsea) for UEFA and it allianates its membership.

As far as your outburst (I can't really call it an opinion because it has nothing that would qualify as such), I agree that Liverpool has certainly earned to be in the cup. But that does not mean that Liverpool earned to take away seeding. Liverpool is a wildcard entry - one for whom rules were bent but who should not take away seeding from other teams.
slavia

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:09 am

slavia wrote:
RedorDead wrote:Slavia Prague would have been seeded so played a relative minnow, as it is they will not be seeded so could face Manure, Inter Milan or someone like that. I for one sympathise with them but I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it. UEFA cocked up and it was bound to upset someone when they let us back in, still I'm glad they did!!!! :D

Slavia Prague can kiss my @rse if they dont think they can get further with us being seeded in group 3 why bother being in the comp atall then?
Moanin shower  the and the F.A. stick your cup up yer  and Slavia are lookin for money for this well,  you Liverpool arnt gona pay you off, so shut the  up and deal with it, beat whats infront of you, not what might happen in group 3, another shower of bitter. P.iss right off.

while I understand you lack of carrying for Slavia Prague (and really, why should you care!), you show some real ignorance for the bigger picture and I don't really understand UEFA's lack of caring. The reason the Czech team is complaining is because clubs that don't have the financial backing like Liverpool look at the Championship league as a "life-changing" money source. The money from the league play can be used to buy new players and improve the team. This is good for UEFA. If UEFA randomly changes its own rules and takes away Slavia's seeding (seeding which didn't just randomly arise but came from its decent EUFA cup play, and thus should be rewarded) UEFA withholds without any justification by way of rule an opportunity for a team with potential to realize that potential. Instead of creating more quality teams and improveing the competition, UEFA concentrates stronger players in few teams. Giving support to stronger teams instead bids a team like Slavia against competition like Liverpool where advancement is not likely. Thus, the Championship league promotes "superteams." That's not healthy (e.g., look at what money did for Chelsea) for UEFA and it allianates its membership.

As far as your outburst (I can't really call it an opinion because it has nothing that would qualify as such), I agree that Liverpool has certainly earned to be in the cup. But that does not mean that Liverpool earned to take away seeding. Liverpool is a wildcard entry - one for whom rules were bent but who should not take away seeding from other teams.

1. Its not our fault UEFA dropped your seeding is it?

2. Theres a game tonight Slavia Prague V  ?
    On the other channel Liverpool is playing V ?
How many people are going to choose Slavia over Liverpool?
Not many no world wide viewing.

3. You talk about seedings, how do you think we feel when its our club Liverpool F.C. that its down to England having 4 entrants into the CL in the first place, only to be told by the english F.A. oh thanx BTW for getting so many points in europe but we are putting Everton in over Liverpool cause they missed out 20 years ago.

4. Its happened now get over it, we have to go through group 1 and 2 before this becomes an issue anyway, and if your team is not good enough without being seeded how do you think they will fair in the group stages? Not many easy in team in there is the?

5. Weve been treated very very unfair from the english F.A. so I only care about No1 now and thats Liverpool F.C. I could'nt care less about anyone else TBH.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:19 am

I couldn't imagine how bitter the blues would be if knocked them out in the third qualifying round. I'd expect a lot of remarks based on Heysel about Liverpool 'unfairly' knocking them out of Europe again.

Merseyside relations would be at an all time low.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby slavia » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:38 am

slavia wrote:

1. Its not our fault UEFA dropped your seeding is it?

2. Theres a game tonight Slavia Prague V  ?
    On the other channel Liverpool is playing V ?
How many people are going to choose Slavia over Liverpool?
Not many no world wide viewing.

3. You talk about seedings, how do you think we feel when its our club Liverpool F.C. that its down to England having 4 entrants into the CL in the first place, only to be told by the english F.A. oh thanx BTW for getting so many points in europe but we are putting Everton in over Liverpool cause they missed out 20 years ago.

4. Its happened now get over it, we have to go through group 1 and 2 before this becomes an issue anyway, and if your team is not good enough without being seeded how do you think they will fair in the group stages? Not many easy in team in there is the?

5. Weve been treated very very unfair from the english F.A. so I only care about No1 now and thats Liverpool F.C. I could'nt care less about anyone else TBH.

just because my nickname coinsides with the team's doesn't mean that I am not a Liverpool supporter. This topic is one that I didn't really expect to ever encounter, to be honest.

As for your argument, I fully agree with your viewpoint on the attractiveness of Liverpool's presence in the Champ league!  :nod

But I was trying to make a little different point. I was looking at the situation from a long term perspective and I was concerned with the kind of impact that disregarding teams that are not attractive now can have on the European soccer scene. Teams like Dynamo Kiev or Spartak Moscow or even Shakhtar are coming into their own, the last solely due to their acccess to the Champ's league. Now you might say that those teams are :censored: too and who would want to watch them, but the thing is, if the Champ's league is a league, then it should consist of quality teams, not just few teams of quality. That makes for a better competition and ultimately more attractive ties. But the quality is not going to happen overnight. That's why I think that UEFA should look to create a greater pool of teams of quality (and with the financial incentive UEFA gives to teams who play the Champ's league, I think UEFA does look to create a more stable basis of quality soccer teams). Otherwise, if half the matches will ALWAYS be blowouts, then the league is not a league. For teams like Slavia, even one year of Champ league can help to make them competitive. Just because you might not want to watch them one year and just because they might not be competitive this year, doesn't mean you will not want to watch them the next year.  And before you scoff at them, they did produce recently players the like of Koller, Poborsky, and well, yes, even Smicer, so they do have the potential to be competitive and watchable.

Now I agree with you that Liverpool got treated unfairly by the English F.A., but the funny thing is that Slavia is being treated by UEFA in the same way.
slavia

Postby Galactico » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:34 am

Fair point Slavia....The FA still havent done us any favours and are continually moaning about us getting any money in the pool of English clubs! And in all fairness it is a shame about your seeding. However i still disagree with you!!!

Firstly UEFA is a business and sorry but Liverpool will generate much more money. Secondly because of the introduction of Champions League many clubs have now benefitted financially making domestic leagues around Europe more competitive. finally what hope does Slavias team have in halting the "superteams", the Milans, Barcas and Reals dominance?
Galactico

Postby slavia » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:59 am

Galactico wrote:Fair point Slavia....The FA still havent done us any favours and are continually moaning about us getting any money in the pool of English clubs! And in all fairness it is a shame about your seeding. However i still disagree with you!!!

Firstly UEFA is a business and sorry but Liverpool will generate much more money. Secondly because of the introduction of Champions League many clubs have now benefitted financially making domestic leagues around Europe more competitive. finally what hope does Slavias team have in halting the "superteams", the Milans, Barcas and Reals dominance?

I agree that teams like Slavia don't have a short term perspective. But that does not mean that they don't have long term potential. As for your other points, I couldn't agree more, it's UEFA's business how it wants to run things. But I think that UEFA is itself aware that the teams I referred to as superteams are too dominant - I look at UEFA's effort to require more and more players from team's own country and own 'farms" as the desire to stop excessive bying up of all "potential". The restructuring of the Championship league profit sharing is another indication that UEFA wants to breed team diversity - I think we agree on this point. So I think that the "unranking" of Slavia is somewhat contrary to this UEFA's purpose.

But I admit that UEFA is in a bad situation and the right solution is not easy. Personally, I think that FIFA should adopt salary caps as the US leagues do very successfully. This would put many teams on the same playing field and the success of teams would be left to the managers as opposed to investors. (I need only point out to Dortmunt and Chelsea as two examples of what power money has to allow teams to dominate and also what power it has to destroy a team completely).
slavia

Postby RedorDead » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:55 pm

This debate will never be settled. There are loads of interesting points here. I do just want to say that I don't blame our FA for this. At the start of the season they said very clearly that the top four clubs in the prem qualify for the Champions League, you cannot then change that and boot another club out. We'd be absolutely livid if someone like Man Utd got entered ahead of us if we finished fourth. Can you imagine? Of course we had to be in it to defend it and UEFA have done the best they can but whoever we meet and beat in this competition is going to bitch and moan about it being unfair, it's just the nature of it. As for meeting Everton in the third qualifying round I pray it doesn't happen. I mean I know we'd win but the bitters would just moan and whinge for a decade about it and I just don't want to hear that over and over again for the next ten years!!!! :D
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion