Campaign to move the final from rome - It has to make sense........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm

March 22, 2009
Mayor of Rome responds to our campaign to move Champions League final

On Thursday, Times Online launched a campaign to get the Champions League final moved from Rome. We feel strongly that the time has come to make a stand after scores of English supporters have become victims of football-related violence in the city in the past ten years.

Unsurprisingly it has provoked a strong reaction on both sides of the argument, so much so that Gianni Alemanno, the mayor of Rome, has written to us to defend his city from what he describes as our "mean-spirited" campaign.

We are more than happy to give Mr Alemanno the right of reply and we leave you to draw your own conclusions on our campaign.

Rome, 20th March 2009

To the Editor

Dear Sir,

I take the liberty of writing to you following the “campaign” in the online edition of your newspaper purporting to demonstrate that Rome is not fit to host the Champions League Final: a campaign that I consider mean-spirited and denigratory.

Rome was chosen by UEFA to host the May final after long and careful consideration and the venue was once more confirmed only today by the Secretary General, David Taylor. This aspect, which calls into question the top management of European football, was totally ignored in your article.

I should also like to point out, by way of an answer to the statements in the article, that a Google search with the words “London” and “stabbed” brings up 2,670,000 pages, ten times those that appear for Rome.

This fact alone demonstrates beyond all reasonable doubt that the statements contained in the article are merely a pretext.

This is not the first time that Rome has hosted the Champions League Final and in preparation for the event the city and the competent authorities – first and foremost the National and Municipal Police Forces – have been working for several months in order to be ready for this important commitment.

In past editions the capital of Italy has distinguished itself for the correct and regular way sporting events have been staged. There is no reason to doubt that this time, too, it will be sport itself that wins the day, together with the desire to participate in an international event of the greatest importance.

I might add that the city has already proved – very recently and not years ago – that it can be a good and welcoming host, on the occasion of the Six Nations Rugby matches.

A further point for consideration is the statement, in the above-mentioned article, that there have been problems with Rome fans over the last few years. I would like to remind you that, quite apart from the factiousness of this statement, it is certain that AS Roma will not be taking part in the final: a fact that renders this aspect entirely irrelevant.

It is my hope, as Mayor of Rome, that one of the English teams still running for the Cup may play in the final and so may demonstrate, by its presence here, how unfounded the worries of your readers are. In any case, as first citizen of the capital, I can assure you that English fans will find a friendly reception and that here in Rome the authorities will do everything necessary to prevent any disturbance of public order.

Yours sincerely,
Gianni Alemanno

Mayor of Rome
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Reg wrote:. In any case, as first citizen of the capital, I can assure you that English fans will find a friendly reception and that here in Rome the authorities will do everything necessary to prevent any disturbance of public order.

Yours sincerely,
Gianni Alemanno

Mayor of Rome

Tell that to the fecking scar on my eye
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion