Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Sacking Rodgers is not an option imo.

He's a good manager who had us playing some of the best attacking football I've seen last season.  Losing Sturridge and Suarez would hurt any side - that's taking 50+ goals away FFS.  Lovren and Balotelli aside I think we actually did decent business in the summer, but it's taken half a season for some of them to adapt.  Nobody could have foreseen Sturridge missing so many games and Balotelli being so ineffective.  But Rodgers has adapted again and got us playing a fairly innovative system which has found a decent balance between defence and attack, while playing good football and winning games.

He has managed the Mignolet situation well (don't get me wrong the lad isn't good enough and we need to replace him if we want to win serious trophies), his confidence is back and he's playing better.  He's also getting the best out of the likes of Lucas and Sakho who at one point both looked to be well out of favour.  Rodgers gives players chances, if they do it in training they are back in the team.  Look at Hendo who is on the verge of becoming club captain 2 and a half years after he was offered in exchange for Clint Dempsey!

Whether we get top 4 or not won't change my opinion, as long as the football we play continues to improve along with the results, then we are heading in the right direction.

The only people wanting him sacked are the ones who got carried away last season.  We were lucky with injuries, got some good momentum, had Suarez who played like a beast, and Rodgers did brilliantly to manage it.  But we were always going to struggle to replicate that, let alone without Suarez and Sturridge with over half a dozen new players coming in.  Perspective.

The one genuine criticism that could be levelled is the value for money overall of his signings over his tenure.  But since nobody really knows how the transfer decisions are made, and who makes them, Rodgers shouldn't be held solely accountable.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:06 pm

jacdaniel » Jan 30th, '15, 13:56 wrote:
RedAnt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 pm wrote:Defenders of Rodgers continually fail to explain why nothing was done to replace the strike force that got us 50+ goals. It's not like there was no time or money to replace Suarez. We got a huge fee and released substantial wage funding.
And as for Sturridge, well it doesn't take a genius to see that he's injury prone and that going into the new season with no contingency plan was a bad idea. We sell Andy Carroll and bring in Lambert and Balotelli. There's also Origi (?), the promising talent we signed and loaned back.
Many blame Balo for the lack of goals. I don't. I blame whoever built our current strike force. The committee? That's for the conspiracy theorists. I blame the manager. If he agreed to work with/on the committee then I don't see as we can blame the players signed, or the owners. You'd not see the likes of Wenger, Guardiola or any strong manager agreeing to such.

Well Sturridge is still at the club.  We knew he was injury prone of course but i doubt anybody imagined he would miss the first 6 months of the season.  This is part of football and almost any team would suffer losing a key player for 6 months.  Think of Barca without Messi, Madrid without Ronaldo, Chelsea without Costa. 

From what I understand, we tried to sign Costa last season but were reluctant to meet his buyout clause. 
We wanted Sanchez this summer but the lad didn't want to come.  Probably wanted the London lifestyle.
We tried to sign Remy for a reasonable fee but it fell through at the final hurdle.  (possible failed medical)
We tried to sell Borini to free up some funds but the lad flat out refused to leave.

All symptoms of a club that lacks financial power.  Could we have pushed further for Costa or Sanchez?  Could we have tried harder to force Borini on his way?

Jac, the thing you mention about Sturridge (injury prone) I mentioned  similar in a previous post. The thing is,  everyone knew this, they also knew that he is explosive and fast paced. Players like this do get injured a lot, BR should have planned for it, but didn't. It doesn't matter that he couldn't have been foreseen that Sturridge would be out of action for 6 months, it could have been 3 weeks.....bottom line, BR did not plan ahead like he should have to take into account something like this happening. He panics and buys last minute.

With regards Remi, it was down to BR not wanting him in the end, nothing to do with any medical, despite what's has been said in the Press

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 pm

jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm wrote:Red til i die 

I agree with what your saying but i just don't think changing managers will help in any noticeable way.
We tried managers from the Bootroom like Evans.
Tried defensively organised managers like Houllier and Rafa. 
Tried bringing back a club legend in Kenny.
Now we are trying the young attack minded manager with a philosophy. 
We've had 5 year plans that ended after 6 and started us back off in year 1 of a new 5 year plan. 

Arsenal have tried the stability approach with Wenger.  Spurs are trying the change your manager every other season approach. 

Nothing works in football anymore without huge investment.  F.uck me im miserable today  :D

Fwiw I don't want to see the club binning managers every year either, It will get us no where but Rodgers has almost 3 full seasons under his belt and we are pretty much back to square one again with a squad not much better than what he inherited and having spent vast amounts to do it.

As you say we have tried various options before we arrived with the young manager approach and I think its safe to say we tried that as well. We can still keep the young manager approach but select someone who has a higher standing within the game. Not a standing gained through this job but based on his merits coaching another club to success.
De Boer fits that mould for me. Vastly experienced player who was successful, Good contacts at a high level, Has won stuff as a manager and is ready for the next step up in management.

Giving him the job Imo could bring success quicker than another 3 years with rodgers.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:What amazes me is how prolific the posts  have become in this thread since the team has been struggling ,as opposed to last season when we came within a hares breath
of winning the fucking thing ! It seems far more posters are more open to denigrating the fella when he's in dire need of the trait we as fans  are supposed to pride
ourselves in 'PATIENCE' ....Although based on this thread 'specifically' I'm not sure it exists any longer. 

As for the context of some of the posts ,frankly they leave me embarrassed to use this forum ....Shameful !  :no

This is an interesting post I found back in October.

My posts are always interesting fella  :D 

I  think I also confirmed how I felt cheated ,and had lost all hope in the manager in the same thread ,shame you couldn't have located them ..I mean do you not find it a
touch disconcerting that fans such as myself who have been attending games 30 years plus' man and boy' do not fucking trust the man any more  ??? ,or seasoned
Kopites that you look for to provide words of wisdom ,because they have witnessed every victory that Liverpool have afforded us through our glorious lineage suddenly
look crestfallen ,and devoid of answers ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Or De Boer could move to the prem and do nothing

Winning titles in the Dutch league doesn't guarentee anything in the Prem - more successful managers than De Boer have arrived and failed.

Rodgers has had two and half season not three and people want him binned out already - how long will the next guy get ? 2 and half again ? Then the next guy and the next guy and we achieve nothing because we don't show the paitence required to actually allow someone to build

Suarez going in the summer changed the club's plans - this summer was supposed to be about strengthening and enforcing what we have and building around Suarez and Sturridge - losing a player like Suarez put the club back a few stages.

We haven't gone back full circle at all - far from it - the club and team is in a far better place than 2 and half years ago - we have an young exciting team playing far better football with the potential to go even further

Our last two games of note were against the Champions elect - and we matched them - in fact Prob outplayed them over the two games with one player being the difference.
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm wrote:Red til i die 

I agree with what your saying but i just don't think changing managers will help in any noticeable way.
We tried managers from the Bootroom like Evans.
Tried defensively organised managers like Houllier and Rafa. 
Tried bringing back a club legend in Kenny.
Now we are trying the young attack minded manager with a philosophy. 
We've had 5 year plans that ended after 6 and started us back off in year 1 of a new 5 year plan. 

Arsenal have tried the stability approach with Wenger.  Spurs are trying the change your manager every other season approach. 

Nothing works in football anymore without huge investment.  F.uck me im miserable today  :D

Fwiw I don't want to see the club binning managers every year either, It will get us no where but Rodgers has almost 3 full seasons under his belt and we are pretty much back to square one again with a squad not much better than what he inherited and having spent vast amounts to do it.

As you say we have tried various options before we arrived with the young manager approach and I think its safe to say we tried that as well. We can still keep the young manager approach but select someone who has a higher standing within the game. Not a standing gained through this job but based on his merits coaching another club to success.
De Boer fits that mould for me. Vastly experienced player who was successful, Good contacts at a high level, Has won stuff as a manager and is ready for the next step up in management.

Giving him the job Imo could bring success quicker than another 3 years with rodgers.

I just don't see what's to gain by going for someone like DeBoer, he's unproven in a big league and the likes of AVB and Klopp were the flavour of the month at one point too, yes Brendan has his faults but he has proven that even without Suarez and Sturridge he can have us slugging it out toe to toe with the petro dollar clubs.
I think a lot of the people who want him to go just feel stupid because he proved them wrong, they were 100% convinced that Suarez was the sole reason for our good performances.
Thankfully I live in Liverpool and I don't know 1 single Liverpool fan who wants him to go, Infact after recent performances and given the average age of our team everyone is pretty optimistic about the future.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:01 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:What amazes me is how prolific the posts  have become in this thread since the team has been struggling ,as opposed to last season when we came within a hares breath
of winning the fucking thing ! It seems far more posters are more open to denigrating the fella when he's in dire need of the trait we as fans  are supposed to pride
ourselves in 'PATIENCE' ....Although based on this thread 'specifically' I'm not sure it exists any longer. 

As for the context of some of the posts ,frankly they leave me embarrassed to use this forum ....Shameful !  :no

This is an interesting post I found back in October.

My posts are always interesting fella  :D 

I  think I also confirmed how I felt cheated ,and had lost all hope in the manager in the same thread ,shame you couldn't have located them ..I mean do you not find it a
touch disconcerting that fans such as myself who have been attending games 30 years plus' man and boy' do not fucking trust the man any more  ??? ,or seasoned
Kopites that you look for to provide words of wisdom ,because they have witnessed every victory that Liverpool have afforded us through our glorious lineage suddenly
look crestfallen ,and devoid of answers ?

Been going to the game for 30 years myself and I trust him as do the people I go with week in week out

I have read through the thread and you spend the whole time critisizing people for failing to have the patience to allow him to have the chance to succeed

You are right - the thread was quiet as mouse when he was doing well - no one speaking up giving him credit but as soon as we have a few troubles the demands for a managerial change happen. It's something no Kopite does - we as you rightly say display paitence and give the manager a chance - you even said it yourself - until that is we drew against Basle and got knocked out of the CL - then you turned on him ? You showed paitence for a grand total of a couple weeks - ignoring the fact that we have then gone on a run that gets us back up to table and into the fight for CL football , into a semi final of one cup and also having a great chance in the FA Cup

Well done for showing the paitence you demand the fans show - I suppose a couple weeks is better than none
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:11 pm wrote:Or De Boer could move to the prem and do nothing

Winning titles in the Dutch league doesn't guarentee anything in the Prem - more successful managers than De Boer have arrived and failed.

Rodgers has had two and half season not three and people want him binned out already - how long will the next guy get ? 2 and half again ? Then the next guy and the next guy and we achieve nothing because we don't show the paitence required to actually allow someone to build

Suarez going in the summer changed the club's plans - this summer was supposed to be about strengthening and enforcing what we have and building around Suarez and Sturridge - losing a player like Suarez put the club back a few stages.

We haven't gone back full circle at all - far from it - the club and team is in a far better place than 2 and half years ago - we have an young exciting team playing far better football with the potential to go even further

Our last two games of note were against the Champions elect - and we matched them - in fact Prob outplayed them over the two games with one player being the difference.

You asked for managers names ,I gave you two ....You're never happy  :D ....Oh by the way the post I delivered after suffering our Champions League exit

When it comes to arriving at the conclusion  a manager has had his day, I'm usually one of the last to admit defeat ,call it romanticism ,call it
sentimentality ,call  it a rigid belief in a Liverpool fans way of going about their business.....So its with a heavy heart  that  I will openly admit I
have nothing left in the tank to proffer in the man's defence,as Tuesday's farce was inexcusable for a man who has been tasked to retrieve our
collective hopes and dreams.

A game so important to the collative inside Anfield was treated with utter contempt and sheer cowardice by Rodgers, and it was mirrored by the
players he opted to field. Never have I seen a first half performance with so many  disinterested players ,never have I seen a game of this significance
so bereft of passion and heart,and it was arguably the most torturous 90 minutes I have ever had to endure . If Rodgers intentions were to obliterate
any shred of hope we had at once again dining at the big table then he couldn't have proffered no greater pointer than that f*cking team sheet.....

Absolutely disgusted with the fella.

You may not understand how I can swing from affording him my  support ,and losing any shred of trust I had in the fella .I would like to think even you can see how
some of the more discerning fans lost all faith in the man....Or maybe you cant  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 pm

As I said - you paitence last all of one month - well done , all your preaching to other fans and their lack of paitence meant nothing and was as hollow as most internet support

It was Rodgers first season in the CL - he made mistake and showed he was naive , it's something he will learn from and will approach the games different next time

Rodgers isn't the first manager to suffer an early exit in Europe - other more expirenced and successful managers have suffered the same fate

But it's great that your support has allowed him the paitence and chance to rectify the mistakes
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm wrote:

Thankfully I live in Liverpool and I don't know 1 single Liverpool fan who wants him to go, Infact after recent performances and given the average age of our team everyone is pretty optimistic about the future.

I also live in Liverpool fella ,I guess we just move in different circles ,the simple fact you deny their existence confirms you're not as honest as your posts imply
Or maybe you just choose to believe that every fella that sits in the Kop is pro Rodgers .....Henceforth your statement is hardly factual  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Danish Red » Jan 30th, '15, 16:29 wrote:As I said - you paitence last all of one month - well done , all your preaching to other fans and their lack of paitence meant nothing and was as hollow as most internet support

It was Rodgers first season in the CL - he made mistake and showed he was naive , it's something he will learn from and will approach the games different next time

Rodgers isn't the first manager to suffer an early exit in Europe - other more expirenced and successful managers have suffered the same fate

But it's great that your support has allowed him the paitence and chance to rectify the mistakes

He's not learnt at all from the mistakes he's made, he's made countless e.g. he persisted with his philosophy style for the best part of the season, when he should have changed it every early on, everybody knows this. He didn't approach the season differently did he. He should have known better with what happened previous season, but ............ Patients, you will find that most have been patient for a very long time. Enough is enough. BR does not have a clue.

DoF and Head Coach.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 pm wrote:As I said - you paitence last all of one month - well done , all your preaching to other fans and their lack of paitence meant nothing and was as hollow as most internet support

So now honesty is a crime ? Like I said your relatively new to this forum so I will afford your ignorance the benefit of the doubt ,but you need to learn fast !
I said I could no longer defend the manager and if I tried to do so, I would be being disingenuous to the point of running for mayor .

This I'm a better fan than you malarkey ,seriously doesn't wash ,simply because your not ! I mean I don't know your age ,but I'm guessing I was standing in the Boy's
pen when you were still latched to your mums tit  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 pm

There are some that want Rafa back , some that want Kenny back , some that want Mourinho etc etc but unless I'm missing something the majority firmly appear to be right behind our current manager

Even during our bad spell in Oct/Nov whilst there were unhappy people the ones that wanted him gone were very much the minority
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Jan 30th, '15, 16:46 wrote:
Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 pm wrote:As I said - you paitence last all of one month - well done , all your preaching to other fans and their lack of paitence meant nothing and was as hollow as most internet support

So now honesty is a crime ? Like I said your relatively new to this forum so I will afford your ignorance the benefit of the doubt ,but you need to learn fast !
I said I could no longer defend the manager and if I tried to do so, I would be being disingenuous to the point of running for mayor .

This I'm a better fan than you malarkey ,seriously doesn't wash ,simply because your not ! I mean I don't know your age ,but I'm guessing I was standing in the Boy's
pen when you were still latched to your mums tit  :D

RB, Danish Red is Yakka  :;):

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 pm wrote:There are some that want Rafa back , some that want Kenny back , some that want Mourinho etc etc but unless I'm missing something the majority firmly appear to be right behind our current manager

Even during our bad spell in Oct/Nov whilst there were unhappy people the ones that wanted him gone were very much the minority

based on what exactly ,your time in the stands ....I may be acting slightly elitist here , but fans sit in the Kop fella ....OK thats not entirely fair ,as I'm sure your
contingent add to the atmosphere in some manner  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion