Arsenal=subbuteo, liverpool=tabletop football - Highlighting houllier's shortcomings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kubrick » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:03 am

Hello to whoever's reading this.

Should Mr Houllier go?

The prosecutor would highlight the following:

1/Monseur Houllier has thus far proven that he believes in  a 'work-hard' not a 'play-hard' footballing philosophy.  By this I mean that he likes all the players to give 100 percent but he does not allow them to express themselves individually upon the pitch.  This is something that stands against everything that, for me at least, has made Liverpool football club the legend it so richly deserves to be.

2/Examples of Monseur Houllier forbidding individual expression lie mainly in the exodus of Patrik Berger, Jari Litmanen, Robbie Fowler, Nicolas Anelka etc.  It also a reason why new players like Bruno Cheyrou (who is a flair player), Richie Partridge, Neil Mellor to name but a few, have a huge problem settling in at Anfield.

3/ Houllier seems to have a problem with goalkeepers.  It is all very well buying two in one go but when world-clas keepers like Kahn and Seaman (up until a few years ago) can play well into their late - thirties it seems like he couldn't have had much in faith in Dudek to begin with if Kirkland was ever gonna get a shout.  Furthermore most goalkeepers at Anfield tend to be deteriorate rather dramatically.  James should have been the best in England, possibly the world when he transferred from Watford but instead he lost his confidence, Westerveld, now that he has finally left Liverpool is showing what a class act he can be at Socialdad, Friedal is also one of the best keepers in the premiership.  What was wrong with them at ANfield (goalkeeping coaches who knows? - but the boss man has the final say.

4/ Houllier is indecisive.  He would prefer to play the long-ball tactic which even first division clubs, providing they defend deep and have pacey defenders, can handle reasonably easily.  Now that he realises that liverpool have taken around forty points less than Arsenal and Man Utd over a period of 30(ish) games (yes it really is that depressing) he has decided to attack.  This is all very good but if the team concedes Houllier generally reverts back to the good old long ball in the hope that the back four do not concede a second or third.  Consequently Liverpool's problem is that they do not know if they are attacking i.e 'pass and move' or if they are defensive i.e 'counter-attacking long-ball'.  And the training sessions are probably just as confusing.

5/ Playing players out of position.  This is LIVERPOOL football club.  We can have a great player in their favourite position, our squad is big enough it is that simple.  Our youth team setup should be capable of taking points off lesser premiership clubs let alone our first team.  Monseur Houllier should not blame tiredness or injuries for losing 0-1 to Portsmouth.  Harry Kewell, El-Haj-Diouf, Biscan, Carrager, Smicer, Cheyrou, Riise and Murphy are often being played out of position.

6/  Delayed responses.  Only now is Monseur Houllier actually trying to deploy wingers with Finnan, Kewell, El Hadj Diouf and Riise.  Something that every Liverpool and non-Liverpool fan have been screaming on about for the last three years.  NOW HE IS FINALLY DOING IT.  Will it take a further three years to react to problems the team faces now?

7/  Reasoning.  The reasons administered for losing particular games are often woeful by Monseur Houllier.  He should admit that we were knocked out of the champions league a couple of seasons ago because he substituted Didi Hamaan.  He should not blame injuries or over-tiredness as these are problems which most oppositions cannot deal with as easily as Liverpool and he should not blame Owen's absence for losing games either.

8/ Choices for strikers.  Houllier is big on Heskey but I think it is about time that he admitted that Heskey is a work horse that is good for getting in the way of things, breaking up play and occassionally crossing, but not much else.  His insistence of not utilising the exciting, pacy, willing ot take on defenders and shoot, Baros was scandalous, as was allowing Anelka and Fowler to leave.

9/  Making players worse.  Although this argument sounds pretty far-fetched most Arsenal fans I have spoken to agree with me.  Imagine if Pires had come to Liverpool under Houllier.  Imagine if Smicer and gone to Arsenal under Wenger.  I fully believe that Pires would be awful for Liverpool and that SMicer would be incredible for the gunners.  This is not just because he is a great player for the Czech republic but because Wenger develops and allows individualism whilst Houllier enforces workmanlike performances.  I see Arsenal as subbuteo football and I see Liverpool as tabletop football.     

10/ Liverpool, as a club, are not only playing their worst football in decades but they are also going backwards in the premiership table.

11/ Liverpool have spent in excess of 100 million pounds under Houllier, an amount that makes the current Liverpool squad is the most expensive in its history.  And Monseur Houllier has been given for more freedom to buy and sell more players than any other manager in Liverpool's history.  The team literally is 'his vision' and though young, is nt good enough.

Of course there are plenty of reasons to defend Monseur Houllier, and I am sure many of you feel that my criticism has been over-harsh and longwinded, but to tell you the truth the last three games that we have lost, even without some of our most influential players (and I know this goes back a bit on my previous arguments) we have actually played some pretty decent football.  My point is that it is surprising to see decent football from Liverpool FC and I think that good football is perhaps the most important thing.  Winning is important, but what's the point in getting a lucky goal and not playing like you are a team with a mighty fine reputation?

This year is make or break for Liverpool.
kubrick

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:32 pm

good post...I think it's bye-bye GH unless we show a major improvement in converting our superior shot ratio into goals and points.I can't see that happening with the lemon up-front.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion