After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Insightful as ever you plonk........
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Eds my response was to Red Rum but thanks for the terms of endearment you knob !! We simply overlapped. I hadn’t even read your post. Having now read it you seem to ignore that we have certainly had our moments of good fortune. Pickford as one example of how lucky we were to get all three points. Interestingly enough only today VAR would have awarded City a penalty for the Barnes handball. Both teams have had their fair share of luck and bad decisions.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 pm

Luck, bad decisions etc... at the end of the season it more or less evens out. Bottom line is IF City win it they deserve it.

I just want to forget the EPL this week and look forward to our match in spain. Kind of getting fed up of hoping those lot drop points.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:31 pm

redshade » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm wrote:Luck, bad decisions etc... at the end of the season it more or less evens out. Bottom line is IF City win it they deserve it.

I just want to forget the EPL this week and look forward to our match in spain. Kind of getting fed up of hoping those lot drop points.

Sensible stuff mate. Barca will be interesting and a real test. An away goal or hopefully two will be vital. Our defence is considerably better than theirs and we know how to score. We are also currently in a very good place mentally. I’m very hopeful !!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Rum » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 am

devaney » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm wrote:I think Bungle said all that needs saying: Shut up you tart !!

Bungle, or Zippee????  :rasp
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 am

devaney » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:13 pm wrote:Eds my response was to Red Rum but thanks for the terms of endearment you knob !! We simply overlapped. I hadn’t even read your post. Having now read it you seem to ignore that we have certainly had our moments of good fortune. Pickford as one example of how lucky we were to get all three points. Interestingly enough only today VAR would have awarded City a penalty for the Barnes handball. Both teams have had their fair share of luck and bad decisions.

Listen Pal, Seriously can you be more CONSTRUCTIVE in your criticism !??

At least come up with a good argument. I tried to, explaining why we drew too many matches, the reason was lack of creativity in our midfield when our front three became isolated., and we lacked a leader in there.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 am

Red Rum » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 pm wrote:
devaney » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:13 pm wrote:Eds my response was to Red Rum but thanks for the terms of endearment you knob !! We simply overlapped. I hadn’t even read your post. Having now read it you seem to ignore that we have certainly had our moments of good fortune. Pickford as one example of how lucky we were to get all three points. Interestingly enough only today VAR would have awarded City a penalty for the Barnes handball. Both teams have had their fair share of luck and bad decisions.

At least come up with a good argument. I tried to, explaining why we drew too many matches, the reason was lack of creativity in our midfield when our front three became isolated., and we lacked a leader in there.

Bit like Eds you and me will never be on the same page. You’ve written us off for the league and CL already and the season isn’t over. Every one of the players has absolutely worked their bollux off to get us in the position we are in. None of them deserve criticism at this stage. It has been a brilliant team performance. Try a bit of positivity for a change and enjoy the ride.

The only reason we will miss out on the league this season is money and nothing else !! To keep pace with a club that has almost endless funds is just a tad tricky.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 am

I think it's fair to say our play has developed over the season and that there were periods when our MF were pretty one dimensional. Fab playing in front of the centre backs and Hendo/Gini playing solid roles but as the goals and assists show, not providing sufficient attacking impact which probably did cost us valuable poiints. Since then Naby's woken up and we see playing Hendo in a more central and forward role seems to both suit him better and produce results. Maybe Klopp  finally realised he didn't have to play Milner in a support role for the wingbacks thus making room for more creativity.

On that point, Milner was used both last season and early this season to support and bed in our 2 young, fast developing full backs. They were inexperienced and needed cover, that has now changed, they are mature in their role so now we can look to see our best attacking midfield option (excluding Fab as DM).

I'm petty sure Klopp is learning on the job and his next challenge is the best combo to nullify Barca's lethal attack potential to allow our own boys to score. Dare he let Robbo and TAA fly up the wings...?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:15 am

Absolutely right Reg. Klopp didn’t go out and buy Fabinho and Keita as back up because he was happy with the midfield. Klopp clearly knew that serious improvement was needed in that area. I don’t think anybody disputes that including me. Unfortunately both Keita and Fabinho didn’t hit the ground running and have taken time, especially Naby, to adopt our style of play and get used to the Premiership which is easily the toughest top flight league in Europe if not the world. Add to that the fact that our front three were not at there absolute best for part of the season  and that certainly didn’t make our life any easier. Klopp basically had to make do with what he had available and take a far more pragmatic approach which has certainly worked when you consider that we need one more point to equal the highest number of points that United ever won the league with.

Virtually every team however good will drop points and mess up in a couple of games during the season. Who would ever have dreamed that Newcastle and Crystal Palace would beat City.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am

I think one reason it took Naby so long to adapt is Klopp plays very structured, controlled football and I'd say clearly Mo, Bobby and Mane are very intelligent footballers who can adopt, change and adapt to whatever variation Kloppo comes up with. Naby doesn't seem to have that same intelligence or ability to adapt until now. Fab seems to have suddenly woken up and realised what a critical role he players with Robbo and TAA flying upfield out of their defensive zones. Kool stuff for the future.

This is what I mean by intelligent football:  https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3874358
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 pm

devaney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:49 am wrote:

Bit like Eds you and me will never be on the same page. You’ve written us off for the league and CL already and the season isn’t over. Every one of the players has absolutely worked their bollux off to get us in the position we are in. None of them deserve criticism at this stage. It has been a brilliant team performance. Try a bit of positivity for a change and enjoy the ride.

The only reason we will miss out on the league this season is money and nothing else !! To keep pace with a club that has almost endless funds is just a tad tricky.

Agree with everything you said.

But “we aren’t on the same page”.............
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Red Rum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 pm

devaney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:49 am wrote:

I admit I was a bit harsh writing us off...

How can we improve next season on 97 points? (if we reach that). Very difficult.

We haven't played badly at all, but next season, we could just do with a decent playmaker, and then maybe we won't draw so many games.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm

RR - mate let’s worry about next season at the beginning of June
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 01, 2019 11:29 am

Barca tonight
Newcastle Saturday
Barca Tuesday

Whew ! this coming week, a defining time in our season !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rum » Wed May 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Topic starter.... After 29 years, this is our season for what exactly....!??

Discuss....
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion