Is our season too long?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby looprevil » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:31 am

This weekend is only our 3rd game of the prem season yet we have already played 12 games since July 9th.  With the prem season being as long as it is combined with our games in Europe and the fact that many of our players play internationally for their countries means that many of our players are playing a ton of games this season, after a long season last year which only ended in May.  My thought is that this might prove to be too much, and I'm worried that we might not get the results we want in some matches as players become increasingly fatigued or pick up knocks and injuries thoughout the season.  Obviously we are not the only team that has this situation but what can we do to improve the situation?  Do we bring in a few more players (other than those Rafa covets) in January to deepen the squad?  Injuries of course can happen at any time no matter the length of the season but with the increased length of this season I am a little more on edge than usual.  What other options do we have? Do we rest some of our usual starting 11 during the 'not so good' teams?  I don't really like that idea as I want us to field the best possible team every game to avoid the risk of being upset.  Anyone else feel the season might be too long?
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ry_math » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:16 am

no! they are paid all that money they should be playing twice a day for that! the more games the better for the fans!! :p
ry_math

Postby supersub » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:38 am

no it's not
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:48 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......

NO :p
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOATIOUS » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:52 am

hi:p
GOATIOUS

Postby GOATIOUS » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:55 am

wot's up? :D
GOATIOUS

Postby liverpoolrich » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:38 am

no it aint i like seeing liverpool play
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:56 pm

I think we do have too many games, we have played 6 Champions League qualifiers, the Super Cup, and we will go to the World Club Championship in December. The Champions League qualifiers mean that we have started our competitive season way to early, the Super Cup means that we will have fixture congestion further down the road, and the World Club Championship will mean that we will have a draining trip and further fixture congestion.

Anyone who says that this is rubbish, and they get paid loads and should play all the time simply hasn’t played competitive football at any level.

In my mind there is no doubt that since the expansion of the Champions League from 16 teams to 32, the quality of top football has suffered, top players at top clubs are playing twice a week pretty much for the whole season, it is a rarity for them to have 2 weekend games that are not sandwiched with something in midweek whether it be internationals, Europe, a league game or a domestic cup. On the whole I think too much football is played and thus the quality at the top end has suffered.

I've said this so many times before, but when you only have 2 days rest in between games it takes an effect on your body and you don’t perform as well, 3 days in between games is sufficient time to recover, so I think that when we only have 2 days in between games we should use more of the squad.

At the end of the day, like Parry said, "It's the price of success". It's part of football and we just need to get on with it, make the best possible use of the whole squad and just work within the conditions that we have.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:07 pm

i agree that having to play 6 CL qualifiers was ridiculous. people said that gerrard looked knackered in the recent england games. well it's hardly surprising. the guy's already played 12 competitive games this season an we're only just in september. effectively he's had 5 weeks off and he'll be playing non stop from now until august with the world cup coming up.

i have to say though that this excuse of "too many games" does my head in. personally, i'd be constantly tired on £100,000 a week. it'd really wear me down. :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:17 pm

stmichael wrote:personally, i'd be constantly tired on £100,000 a week. it'd really wear me down. :Oo:

They get tired lifting their wallets all day you see :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:35 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
stmichael wrote:personally, i'd be constantly tired on £100,000 a week. it'd really wear me down. :Oo:

They get tired lifting their wallets all day you see :D

:D  :D
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:30 pm

.. not after the tax man's had his chunk
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:30 pm

Thats why international football week this season is impt for us....but more and more of our players are getting picked for their national team......ah well...thats the price for sucess  :p

i think rafa will play the entire reserve team in the league cup (and i have to agree with him if he does that)..... Else gerrard won't have enuff energy to lift the champions league trophy in may 2006  :D

BTW where is the 2006 final held ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:31 pm

The_Rock wrote:i think rafa will play the entire reserve team in the league cup (and i have to agree with him if he does that)..... Else gerrard won't have enuff energy to lift the champions league trophy in may 2006  :D

BTW where is the 2006 final held ?

paris.

my hotel's booked already :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:33 pm

Yep 'gay' Paris ay Saint... :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe